Question

Honor Student
bevtar
Message 1 of 15 (9,618 Views)

C309g printer printing blue instead of black

Recently I have had a problem with my C309G All in One printer printing blue instead of black. This is a new black cartridge. I have run diagnostics which appear to be okay, the black printing properly on the diagnostic sheet. The problem occurs with printing email documents, microsoft word and PDF documents.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 15 (9,607 Views)

Re: C309g printer printing blue instead of black

Some programs will use color to make black.  If your yellow is not printing properly the result would be blue text.  Do black and color copies print properly?  If not try the troubleshooting steps here.  If this does not correct the issue then the post here may help.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
atkinsd
Message 3 of 15 (9,590 Views)

I have the same problem but only Green is printed instead of Black.  I reset everything possible but the problem persists.

This is my Third HP Photosmart Printer that has done this same thing.  I used alcohol and a box of Qtips to clean a bucket load of black ink off of the print head.  The Print Quality Diagnostic Report is prefect, yet documents will only print in Green ink.  HELP!

Top Student
PatG
Message 4 of 15 (9,504 Views)

I was printing blue-green with black, too.  Now I think the problem is in the software. Using the Print tab in Photosmart Premier on my C309a, I clicked the printer's Properties button. On the Features tab the Paper Type was set to Automatic.  I changed it to "Other inkjet papers" and the blue-green areas changed to black: a good B/W photo.  Hope this helps.

Student
LuckyMoose
Message 5 of 15 (8,825 Views)

The black ink printing as blue/green has been plaguing us for some time. All most every time we printed cardstock with Microsoft Publication it would print the blue/green color. In the print menu under properties, click on the "Features" tab and change the paper type to Inkjet paper - (Other Inkjet Papers). The solution has worked on some of our problem files.

Top Student
PatG
Message 6 of 15 (8,816 Views)

Thanks for confirming my solution, Moose!  :-)

Honor Student
NancyTaylor
Message 7 of 15 (8,321 Views)

Thank You Very Much!  I worked for hours and found your reply to another person having trouble.  It worked for me!!!

Student
ShariKay
Message 8 of 15 (8,099 Views)

In my case, this was a software problem - all about getting the correct drivers installed!  It took me hours to figure it out.  (I'm definitely not a "tech" kind of person though.  : ) 

This problem occured for us after a hard drive failure when we had to reinstall the printer on our computer.  Not having any installation discs, we plugged the printer back in using the USB and the computer failed to recognize it, so we added it using the add printer button in the print menu.  After that it appeared that everything that should have printed black started printing in cyan.  The other colors worked fine.  If I tried to manipulate the preference settings by choosing black ink only or print in greyscale, I simply got a blank page out of the printer, nothing printed at all.  Just couldn't get the black!  We didn't realize that adding the printer that way does not get you the drivers you need.

I waded thru the solutions found online, many of them involving removing the cartridges and cleaning the printhead.  I was about to think I'd have to try that involved process, but then discovered that my C309g would print black in some circumstances.  Everything from the web or email was printing in cyan, but I discovered that the printer would copy in black and would also print the Windows Printer Test Page and any Word document perfectly, as it should be, in black!!  So then I knew it had to be a software problem. 

I went to the Control Panel, Devices and Printers, right-clicked on the C309g and removed the printer.  Then turned off the printer, unplugged all the cords and disconnected it from the computer.  After a bit, plugged the cords into the back of the printer again and turned it on . . . but did NOT connect the USB to the computer yet.  Went to this page

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4063&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=3793...

and downloaded the correct basic drivers for the C309g based on my operating system.  Once you get that done and start the installation process, it cues you when the correct time comes to plug in the USB.  (There is also a choice for wireless, for most of you who are probably using this printer that way.) 

Once I got through with the drivers installation, the printer was back to printing perfectly, in black, just as it always had before!  Yippie!!  But what a pain in the ass this was for a basically clueless person like me!!  : )  So, that's why I took the trouble to type all this out in the hopes that it will save time and help someone else.  Good luck!  : ) 

Student
aguarini1
Message 9 of 15 (8,017 Views)

Why is my C309g Printer printing in green ink instad of black?

Honor Student
miltowne4441
Message 10 of 15 (6,890 Views)

Hi. I put a new printhead in a 309G. Now photo black prints blue, usually. I printed a color test graph, and up to about 80% color, it will print gray from photo black. Over that, it turns to printing blue. This happens on every 4X6 photo. Sometimes, the photo black works perfectly, but only in certain circumstances, and only ever on a 8.5 X 11 page. I have 100% ruled out any ink problems. I've tried monkeying with every setting I can find, and 4X6 prints still come out wrong. I've uninstalled the printer, and reloaded the software from the original disc, twice. I've uninstalled the printer, and reloaded the software off the HP website, twice. Nothing works. Help! I print many pics of my son for Grandma, and can't afford a new printer!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation