Question

Student
lec555
Message 1 of 2 (726 Views)

C5180 Expired Ink and Empty cartridge messages cannot be cleared

I have a C5180 printer.  I replaced the magneta cartridge.  It was evidently not recognized as the messages that the ink was expired and the ink was near empty.  I continued to use the printer until it stopped printing (cartridge was empty).  Now after using your online fix-its, neither is working (ie: unplugging the power cord - hard reset; or restarting the computer with the printer not hooked to the computer....)  I also cleaned the contacts.  What next?

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 2 of 2 (709 Views)

Re: C5180 Expired Ink and Empty cartridge messages cannot be cleared

Hi lec555,

You should be able to override that message and continue to print by following the on-screen prompts. An override is not recommended because expired ink can thicken and clog the ink system inside the printer.

If the cartridge has been refilled, it might be OK, although the refilling process can damage the cartridge and make it error out or leak. Ink used for refilling is not HP ink so it would not produce as good results as the original ink. Also, any damage caused by a refilled or remanufactured cartridge would not be covered by HP's warranty.

Here is a link that explains expiration and lists the C5180 as one of the printers that can override the expiration message and this is the link for your printer's manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00737535.pdf

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation