Question

Honor Student
CedarCoast
Message 1 of 5 (108 Views)

C7280 Cartridge question

Printer has been sitting unused for several years

First got Ink System Failure - followed all advice, cleaned,reset - repeated

Still with Ink System Failure - tried print from a document - got new error about cartridges missing (or something like that)

Do all the different color cartridges have to be full and functioning for the printer to work?  I would really hate to buy all of them, and have it still not work, hope to just buy the black.

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 2 of 5 (96 Views)

Re: C7280 Cartridge question

Hello CedarCoast and welcome to the HP forums!

I see you have a Photosmart C7280 that hasn't been used in quite some time and you have some questions regarding the cartridges. I will absolutely do my best to give you some good advice :smileyhappy:

To answer you specific question first, all of the cartridges do have to by functioning for the printer to work. It's another story entirely if they absolutely need ink in them with that type of printer some days, but the error messages need to be cleared before that can be tested.

With it saying that cartridges are missing or damaged, it's essentially a 50/50 toss up of whether it's the printer that is the issue or the cartridges. To be perfectly honest, and this is just my opinion, I would see how much it is to get all of the cartridges and if it's more than getting a new printer, I'd go with the new printer.

Before you do that though, you can try following the cartridge cleaning steps in this An 'Ink Cartridge is Missing, Incorrectly Installed, or Not Intended for Your Device' Message Displa... document. If the printer comes up with the same message after the printer reset step, please remove all of the cartridges from the printer, close up the cartridge access door and unplug the printer for 60 seconds. During that minute, press and hold the power button on the printer for approximately 5 seconds to drain any excess power the printer may be holding. Once the minute has passed, plug the printer back in and wait until it says the cartridges are missing or damaged to reinsert. To see specifically which cartridge(s) is the problem, insert the cartridges one at a time, left to right and close the door after each one and see if the missing or damaged message changes to say once less cartridge.

Hopefully that gets you on the right track and is useful to you :smileyhappy: Have a great weekend CedarCoast!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
CedarCoast
Message 3 of 5 (79 Views)

Thanks for answering my question.   I had already tried the procedure of turning off, but without the holding the power switch to be sure all power was gone.  However, it didn't make any difference.  My best guess is that all the ink cartridges are dried out.  I did the clean print head option and the align option from the software.  When I looked at the levels of ink it showed none in all of them.  Going shopping for cartridges - will see if that works.  So word to others out there don't just box up your printer for four years.  But not sure how to keep cartridges from drying out - if that is even the problem?????

Honor Student
CedarCoast
Message 4 of 5 (44 Views)

Bought all ink cartridges _HP brand from HP site online.  Installed all new cartridges.  Got same error.  Tried same error fix as told to before.  Still have same error.  This printer worked fine when stored a few years ago.  What could go wrong other than dried/empty ink cartridges?  Any suggestions on what to try next?

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 5 of 5 (39 Views)

Thanks for the replies CedarCoast!

I'm sorry to hear the ink didn't do the trick, but as I said it was a 50/50 chance between it being the printer or the cartridges. In not being used for 4 years, the cartridge contacts within the printer are most likely damaged now as well.

To be safe, I'd suggest you try the printhead cleaning once or twice more, but if it's still giving the same error after that, it's time to look into another printer. You can always call HP Tech Support for your area and inquire about the trade in program as well.

Hope you have a great weekend :smileyhappy:

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation