Can I print in black and white with an empty color cartridge on a HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer ? (3911 Views)
Intern
miamiparis
Message 1 of 7 (3,911 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can I print in black and white with an empty color cartridge on a HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer ?

Only the cyan cartridge is empty, all of the other 3 cartridges are fine. I ordered the cyan cartridge online but I need to print important documents today. The power button is blinking when I try to print.

I don't understand, black and white should not use a color cartridge to print.

Is there a trick so I can print before receiving the cyan cartridge ?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 7 (3,877 Views)

Re: Can I print in black and white with an empty color cartridge on a HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer ?

What model printer do you have?

* Some models of printers use a Black cartridge and Tri-color style cartridge.  Some of these type of printers are able to remove the tri-color cartridge and print in 'reserve mode' or 'back up mode.'  

However, if you are using a printer that has individual colors and a black cartridge, then this is known as IIC (Individual Ink Cartridges) setup.  In this type of ink system, the color cartridge will have to be changed before the printer will resume printing.  This is by product design to prevent any damage occurring to the printhead by allowing the ink to dry in the empty cartridge's ports.  

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Intern
miamiparis
Message 3 of 7 (3,876 Views)

Re: Can I print in black and white with an empty color cartridge on a HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer

HP Officejet Pro 8100

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 7 (3,873 Views)

Re: Can I print in black and white with an empty color cartridge on a HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer ?

The Officejet Pro 8100 ePrinter has the same print mechanism as its All-in-One counterpart the Officejet Pro 8600.  This printer has a printhead mechanism that contains 4 individual cartridges: CMYK (cyan/magenta/yellow/black).  

One will have to replace the cartridge, if the unit provides a message of one of the colors being empty, before the unit will resume printing.  It is a maintenance mechanism to prevent the product from self-damage.  Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
LarasDad
Message 5 of 7 (3,637 Views)

Re: Can I print in black and white with an empty color cartridge on a HP Officejet Pro 8100 printer

but according to page 39 of the user guide:

Print when one or more ink cartridges are depleted
The printer can still operate when the black ink cartridge or one or more color ink
cartridges are depleted, but it will print more slowly. Also, the quality of printed documents
might be affected.
The printer will not be able to print when both the black cartridge and a color cartridge
are depleted.
• If the black cartridge is depleted, any black color in printed documents is created using
a combination of the remaining colors. As a result, blacks might not appear to be as
dark.
• If a color cartridge is depleted, the printer will print in grayscale using the black
cartridge.
When possible, replace any depleted ink cartridges. For information about how to install
new ink cartridges, see Replace the ink cartridges.
CAUTION: While ink cartridges are not damaged when left outside of the printer,
the printhead does need to have all cartridges installed at all times after the printer is
set up and in use. Leaving one or more cartridge slots empty for an extended period
may lead to print quality problems and possibly damage the printhead. If you have
recently left a cartridge out of the printer for an extended period, or if you have had a
recent paper jam, and have noticed poor print quality, clean the printhead. For more
information, see Clean the printhead.

So why can't I print with just the yellow cartridge flashing at me ?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 6 of 7 (3,627 Views)

Hey LarasDad,

If a cartridge is depleted during a print cycle, then the unit will continue to print at a slower rate as the User Guide details.  However, once this job is completed and the unit goes into an error state about the depleted cartridge it will prevent continued printing until the cartridge is replaced.  This is to keep the unit from drawing air through the printhead or drying of ink ports, thus potentially damaging/ruining the print mechanism of the printer.  

Jason

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
LarasDad
Message 7 of 7 (3,577 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply and detailed explanation.  You might suggest to the operator manual writers that they too could be a little more explicit, since I did find the troubleshooting guide quite misleading.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation