Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I have an hp deskjet f4580 printer installed with a computer using windows 7 64 bit. An hp window from the hp solution center keeps popping up telling me about genuine hp ink cartridges. I have a cartridge installed and it is working great as is the printer. But the pop up is distracting and maddening. I tried re-installing the software and that did not solve the problem. Is there a way to turn off this feature so it doesn't flash repeatedly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi c1v,

It is possible that the printer is not reading this new cartridge correctly. One thing you can try is clean the copper contacts on the cartridge with a damp lint free cloth to make sure it connects properly in the printer. Let me know what you find out?

Do you have another new black cartridge you can install to see if the cartridge is causing this issue?

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi c1v,

Realign the cartridges

Follow these steps to print an alignment page and realign the cartridges. Let me know if you continue to get the pop up messages?

Step one: Print an alignment page
  1. Make sure you have plain paper loaded in the product.
  2. Open HP Solution Center:

3. Windows XP: Click Start , click All Programs , click HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
  4. Windows Vista: Click the Windows icon ( ), click All Programs , click HP , and then click HP Solution Center .
    HP Solution Center opens in a new window.
  6. In HP Solution Center, click Settings ( ).
  7. In the Print Settings section, click Printer Toolbox . The printer Toolbox opens in a new window.
  8. Click Align the Print Cartridges ( ).
  9. Click Print Page . The product prints an alignment page.
    Figure 9: Product prints an alignment sheet
    Illustration of the product printing an alignment sheet
Step two: Scan the alignment sheet
  1. Lift the product lid.
    Figure 10: Lift the product lid
    Illustration of lifting the product lid
  2. Place the alignment sheet on with the printed-side down on the right-front corner of the scanner glass. See the engraved guide next to the scanner glass for help loading the alignment sheet.
    Figure 11: Load the alignment sheet
    Illustration of loading the alignment sheet
  3. Lower the product lid.
    Figure 12: Lower the lid
    Illustration of lowering the product lid
  4. Press the Scan button ( ) to scan the alignment sheet.
    Figure 13: Scan the alignment sheet
    Illustration of scanning the alignment sheet
  5. Wait while the product scans the alignment sheet and completes the alignment process.
I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I have realigned the cartridges following the steps suggested multiple times but this has not solved the problem.

HP Recommended

Hi c1v,

Are you using a new OEM or remanufactured cartridge in the printer?

Did this just start right after you installed a new cartridge?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

The problem did start after changing the black cartridge. I am using a brand new hp 60 black cartridge purchased a Wal-mart.

HP Recommended

Hi c1v,

It is possible that the printer is not reading this new cartridge correctly. One thing you can try is clean the copper contacts on the cartridge with a damp lint free cloth to make sure it connects properly in the printer. Let me know what you find out?

Do you have another new black cartridge you can install to see if the cartridge is causing this issue?

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

I cleaned the contacts on the cartridge, reinstalled it into the printer, and realigned the cartridges. So far that seems to have taken care of the problem. I do have another cartridge and I'll try that if this doesn't work.

Thank you so much for your time and help. I really appreciate it.

HP Recommended

Hi c1v,

Glad to hear the issue has been resolved. Have a wonderful day.

I am an HP employee.

HP Recommended

Found a solution that worked for me.  I have a Officejet 4655.  Installed a new cartridge.  Now, EVERY time I print, I get that annoying "Genuine HP cartridge installed".  I disabled bidrectional support.  Voila.  No more popup! 

I have Windows 10.  Go to control panel - devices and printers.  Right click on your PRINTER (not the fax).  Select PRINTER PROPERTIES (not properties).  Select PORTS tab.  At bottom of window are two check boxes.  Deselect "enable bidirectional support".

HP Recommended

Thank you 3Sis, this solve my pop-up problems

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.