Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I recently purchased an HP OfficeJet Pro 8610. I previously had an 8600. They both use the same ink cartridges. I had just installed some remanufactured 950 XL and 951 XL cartridges in the old printer and tried to use them in the new printer. Of course I got an error message that cartridges weren't HP but the printer would still work. I would like to know if I can use other remanufactured ink cartridges with the new printer or if there is some way for the printer to allow me to use other ink cartridges as the HP cartridges are way over priced for the consumers. I hope there is a person out there that is conservative like me and tries to find the best bargains on everything. Your solutions would be appreciated. I waited on HP Support Assistant for 10 minutes with a dialogue I would be connected to a technician in less than a minute. They must have been on break or some other excuse, so I thought I would try this instead. Blessings. John Richardson

34 REPLIES 34
HP Recommended

Hey @rockhoundjohn 

Here's the thing, yes, you can refill your cartridges or use remanufactured cartridges, but you may run into problems.

QualityLogic, one of the world's foremost quality assurance organizations, tested the performance of HP inkjet print cartridges vs. remanufactured (refilled) brands. The results: original HP inkjet print cartridges far surpassed ink refills in both print quality and reliability.
  • Nearly one out of every six refilled ink cartridges tested was dead on arrival or failed prematurely
  • 70% of refilled cartridges had some form of reliability problem
Count on HP original ink cartridges for consistent, worry-free printing. You may think you're saving money on remanufactured or refilled ink cartridges, but in the long run, the cost of wasted time, ink, and paper can more than make up the difference.  - Source
Most people think, 'well of course that is what HP or an HP representative would say', but I have done some research and found that many others have too. Here is a perfect example of somebody who does not work for HP in any way and basically is a customer advocate (in my opinion) ; Should you refill your printer’s ink cartridges? HP says no (of course) By Matthew Murray

I found the above article interesting and genuine.

My personal recommendation is to buy the HP XL cartridges as they are more cost efficient, and be mindful in the printer you choose when buying an inkjet. The 8610 was a good choice. The expected page yield of the HP 950XL High Yield Black Original Ink Cartridge is 2300 pages. The regular size cartridge page yield is 1000, still good but the XL is by far a better value. Some of the Photosmart printers or Deskjets are great for what they are intended for, but do not have as good of a cost per page.

HP's recommendation; Keep in mind that page yield is just one component of cost, and that factors such as quality, reliability, productivity, and efficiency affect cost as well. Products that work reliably will ultimately save you time and money. When you choose an inkjet printer, make sure you consider your individual printing needs.

To summarize, again, yes you can refill the cartridges. The printer is not programmed to reject them. Sometimes the cartridges will not work and of course because they are non HP, HP would not be able to do anything to help. HP cartridges have a 2 year manufacture warranty; Limited Warranty for HP Ink Cartridges and Customer-Replaceable Printheads for HP Inkjet Supplies, this may give you comfort knowing HP stand behind their product.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

10/10/14

Does HP use anyone to manufacture their cartridges so I can save some money?

HP Recommended

Hi @rockhoundjohn 

No, HP does not have anybody that remanufactures cartridges.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

@rockhoundjohn 

You might be interested in the Instant Ink program for savings....

www.instantink.com

Right now it's available in US, UK, France & Germany

HP_Instant Ink Savings.jpg

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I also have the same question. And it is odd since these very same remanufactured generic ink cartridges worked perfectly in my former 8600 printer, and  I am now unable to use on my HP Officejet Pro 8610 because it is rejecting every single one.

How do I get around that, or do I just send it back and also get my 2 year extended warranty back as well?
I still have my HP Officejet Pro 8600 printer in the box and in the basement, so it is easy to reconnect it back agagin. The only problem with that is the paper feed rollers are not working perfectly.  Failed after 16 months of use.

But I would gladly take that problem than having no working printer, anyday.

What helpful assistance can you please give me?

These now "troulbed cartridges" worked perfectly the other day with my previous printer, and I have many of these cartridges ready for use, that is why I wanted to "keep the printer in the family" so to speak, and stay with HP so I can save on my ink that I didn't use up with the 8600.

HP Recommended

Hi @steveman99,

Did you set the 8610 printer up using the cartridges that came with the printer? If not, this may be the reason the other cartridges are being rejected. Even Genuine HP cartridge you purchase from the store would be rejected if the printer was not yet initialized using the setup cartridges.

Perhaps you have set it up already and it was working fine, is this the first set of non genuine cartridges you have tried in the 8610?

Bear in mind, non genuine cartridges are not guaranteed to work, so there isn't much I can suggest, but I am happy to do all I can to help.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply.

I did do as you mentioned. The ink that came with it, the genuine HP cartridges, were all used from the beginning, and were exhausted.  Only the black ink cartridge was still in use.

Then I tried the remanufactured cartridges I had been using for  the last 16 months, repurchasing the new cartridges off the internet and used to work perfectly, without incident on my 8600, which I stopped using and then went to the 8610 Predominantly Because of the ink cartridge and of course, similarity in actions  and that it worked with all the ones I had remaining when the 8600 ceased functioning properly, after 16 months of doing so successfully.

The 8610 is an earlier model, and the 8600 a more recent model and I have found that HP has stopped manufacturing these.

Can I ask you then, what would be the newest model that HP has available out on the market that takes the same HP ink cartridges? please and thank you.

steve

HP Recommended

Hi @steveman99,

I may have found the root cause. How old are these cartridges? The following will answer your questions about compatible printer, and explain why I ask about how old your cartridges are:

Beginning in October 2012, HP updated the HP 950 and HP 951 ink cartridges. The updated ink cartridges are compatible with both current and future printers that use these selectability numbers. They have been designed in conjunction with future printers to deliver new features.

The cartridges originally introduced and manufactured prior to October 2012 will not be compatible with the following printers and all-in-one devices:

• HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One (A7F64A)
  • HP Officejet Pro 8620 e-All-in-One (A7F65A)
  • HP Officejet Pro 8630 e-All-in-One (A7F66A)
  • HP Officejet Pro 8640 e-All-in-One (E2D42A)
  • HP Officejet Pro 8660 e-All-in-One (E1D36A)

- Source

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thank you for this.

It answered my question directly.

Much appreciated.

steve

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.