Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty? (30535 Views)
Top Student
tmmoehlmann
Message 1 of 30 (30,535 Views)

Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty?

I have an HP Officejet 6210 all in one printer that takes color ink (#95) and black ink (#94).   I only want to print in black and white.   The color cartridges are more expensive and since I don't want to use them, I don't want to replace it.  Can I have the printer bypass the color cartridge (and the notifications that come with an emply cartridge) so it will allow me to use the black cartridge (#94) only and let the #95 sit there empty?  (ie it tries to print from there and I get the blank sheets...want to default it to the black ink cartridge 100% of time.)  I waste too much money on ink and wish to use the cheaper cartridge (#94) always.   

Grad Student
LidNe
Message 2 of 30 (30,526 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty

Yes, I think you can with this printer. Try removing the color cartridge. You should get a message about 'ink backup mode'. I think this printer should operate with just the black cartridge installed.

By the way, you might want to wait until your color cartridge is empty to do this, unless you have a cartridge protector. The cartridge will dry out quickly if it is outside of the printer.

I work on HP's behalf.
Top Student
tmmoehlmann
Message 3 of 30 (30,514 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty

No this does not work. I tried that first as it would seem obvious, however, it displays 'insert color cartridge' and doesn't let you do anything until you comply. I"m looking for some sort of override or control panel or something that allows one to bypass needing a color cartridge. I can leave the empty one in there, but then the error 'replace color cartridge' doesn't let me do anything. I only want black and want to use my #94 black cartrdige all the time. I don't want to kick the printer to the curb over something like this, can someone please let me know how to force it to use the black cartridge only and not care if the color is emply (or missing). The option 'always print in grayscale' does not do the trick either.
Grad Student
LidNe
Message 4 of 30 (30,476 Views)

Okay, sorry for the delay. I didn't know what I was talking about in my earlier reply. I checked with better-informed people here and learned that while most HP printers have a reserve mode allowing them to print with only one installed cartridge, there are a few older all-in-ones that do not do this, including your printer.

I don't have a great workaround for you - or rather, I think it's the workaround you already know of. Basically, you can leave the empty color cartridge installed and continue to print with the black cartridge, in grayscale. There is no way to stop the low ink messages for the empty color cartridge, but they should not stop you from printing.

I work on HP's behalf.
Top Student
tmmoehlmann
Message 5 of 30 (30,446 Views)

Please note...I did NOT have a workaround of keeping the color ink empty and just using the black ink cartridge...that is what I want.  I could care less if the color cartridge is in there or not, or if it is there but empty......the error messages for both of these situatoins prevent me from printing anything with either catridge until i go out and buy a color cartridge which I never use..so I basically buy it to let it dry up and when it does, force me to go buy yet another one instead of bypassing it's use so I can use the cheaper black ink only.     I am a prisoner to this color cartridge issue!  

Top Student
moatfrog
Message 6 of 30 (29,336 Views)

I also have had this color ink usage problem. First, don't pay any heed to anyone connected to HP. Second, don't listen to anyone who tells you (some Best Buy reps, and HP) that the color cartridges always put out a slight amount of ink to keep the ports open -- that is hogwash. Tools has always allowed you to use a "clean" option if this ever becomes a problem. To date I have found no solution regarding HP ripping me off on buying its colored ink for black printing only. Its a SCAM! In actuality it is also THEFT! Their machine robs you of their product when it is not needed. It's a shame that we have a government that allows this! I am looking for a tech geek who has found an effective and safe over ride for this. There is a dubious one, whereby you tape a small section of the print cartridge face to prevent the printer from reading the almost empty status of the cartridge. I need something more specific for HP printers that explains exactly what to use and how to use it if this does indeed work. In the meantime I will use their product less and with more discretion than I have to date. Hewlette Packard has exhibited itself as a greedy company.  Screw Hewlett Packard and their rip off tactics.

Top Student
NotfanofHP
Message 7 of 30 (29,025 Views)

Can't agree more. HP's strategy of getting more sells of its cartrige is notorious. It really drives consumers away. I am ditching my HP printer and getting a Brother instead.

Honor Student
daecallie
Message 8 of 30 (28,973 Views)

I agree. I am done with HP products.

Top Student
SunnyRainbowHea
Message 9 of 30 (28,796 Views)

You are dead wrong.  There will be an error message generated which says the color cartridges are missing or damaged. And the printer becomes totally inoperative.

You work for HP?  Your technical knowledge leaves a lot to be desired.

Top Student
Craig-123
Message 10 of 30 (26,874 Views)

Here's how I "go black" with an HP-5610 (#22 and #56 cartridges).

* Buy some brand of refill ink that supplies a dull syringe --just the black. (I get mine from Staples.)

* Do not let your cartridges run dry. Do not turn the printer off. Remove and refill each cartridges with black ink as soon as you get a warning. Be careful to not damage the print head.

* Press down a bit with the syringe to depress the sponge in the ink well, top it off, then draw back a couple drops.

* Cover the exposed filler holes with a small square of black electrical tape, blot off the cartridge head and put it right back into the printer. If the printer requests a head alignment routine, cancel it.

* By squeezing the sponges, you put some air into the ink paths, so the first prints will look bad. (Try "priming".)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation