05-15-2013 08:14 AM
You do not want to fill the color cartridge with black ink. The printer with recognize the cartridge being refilled with the wrong color and will not allow you to print. Also, this will ruin the ink system inside the unit, so this step will be really time consuming, and the end results will not be positive and could damage the printer severally.
05-15-2013 01:36 PM
Apologies if this is a 2nd post --but hours later my earlier one still hadn't appeared.
It may well be that filling the color cartridge with black ink won't work with newer HP printers, but it works well enough with my old (and excellent work horse!) model 5610 --that I'm buying black ink in bulk now ("Stratitec" from Amazon). I suggest you haunt the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores for an old HP printer that uses a #22 color cartridge.
06-11-2013 05:03 PM
I have a PSC2110 HP printer, never use the color cartridge, so to keep the printer working on with the black cartridge, I fill the color cartridge with black ink. I have done this for a number of years, never had a problem doing this. I can't justifie the cost of a color cartridge $$$$.
06-15-2013 09:38 AM
I have the old multi f340, which does not have a colour cartridge installed at all (and I do not have it).
It gives me an error (constant): "E" on "number of copies" and blinking cartridge light (I am assuming it is because the cartridge is missing, am I wrong?).
It prints ok when request is submitted from the computer but it would not copy or scan. Any solutions?
08-09-2013 06:55 AM
This might help: Apply Key and P to open Printer option....Under Presets select Default settings......then...select the menu item that says something like ....Fast Print, black and while only. NOW YOU CAN STOP BUYING THOSE COLOR CARTRIDGES.
08-09-2013 10:41 AM
Thanks Poolcast --that's the way it should work, and maybe it does work well on newer HP printers, so try that first.
* On my older XP operated computer you "Start" by selecting "Control Panel", then "Printers", right click the active printer, select "Preferences", select "Color", and at long last there are two grayscale choices: "High Quality" and "Black print cartridge only". The High Quality choice uses lots of color ink. The Black Cartridge Only choice forces my printer into a degraded resolution mode of performance --sort of an antique dot-matrix look.
That is why I bought a bulk load of "Stratitec" brand black ink through Amazon.com and started refilling both my black cartridge and the 3 holes of my color cartridge with this black ink. (Do it as soon as you get a warning --or when it begins to streak, so the print heads don't dry and clog up.)
I've refilled the cartridges on two HP 5610s here in the house many times now. If the printer objects or shuts the cartridge down, I simply rotate the cartridges between the printers, so the printer thinks it's a new cartridge.
I've come to really like the high quality art and photos this printer can print in grayscale. I've been entering them in folios which circulate around the nation (via postal mail).
You might have to find an older HP printer (with the complex install disks, if possible) to make my methods work.
- Which Cartridges Work with My HP Printer?
- Resolving 'Problem with Printhead,' 'Printer Failure,' 'Ink System Failure,' or a '0x...' or a 'C2...' Error
- HP 68xx and 6230 Printers - 'Problem with printhead' Error (Americas and Asia)
- HP 68xx and 6230 Printers - 'Problem with printhead' Error (Europe, Middle East, Africa)
- HP Instant Ink - What Is HP Instant Ink?