Question
Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty?
Replies (35)

Honor Student
hokoleska
Message 11 of 36 (5,497 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty

you might try refilling the color cartridge your self with just black ink.

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 12 of 36 (5,424 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty?

You do not want to fill the color cartridge with black ink. The printer with recognize the cartridge being refilled with the wrong color and will not allow you to print. Also, this will ruin the ink system inside the unit, so this step will be really time consuming, and the end results will not be positive and could damage the printer severally.

Tutor
Craig-123
Message 13 of 36 (5,403 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's e

Apologies if this is a 2nd post --but hours later my earlier one still hadn't appeared.

It may well be that filling the color cartridge with black ink won't work with newer HP printers, but it works well enough with my old (and excellent work horse!) model 5610 --that I'm buying black ink in bulk now ("Stratitec" from Amazon). I suggest you haunt the Goodwill and Salvation Army stores for an old HP printer that uses a #22 color cartridge.

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 14 of 36 (5,401 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty?

@Craig-123, I'm glad your issue are resolved!

Student
bsd1939
Message 15 of 36 (5,095 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty

i have a hp 5600  and only want to use the black ink cartridge

Student
dorkhead
Message 16 of 36 (4,997 Views)

I have a PSC2110 HP printer, never use the color cartridge, so to keep the printer working on with the black cartridge, I fill the color cartridge with black ink. I have done this for a number of years, never had a problem doing this. I can't justifie the cost of a color cartridge $$$$.

Student
bogdank
Message 17 of 36 (4,947 Views)

I have the old multi f340, which does not have a colour cartridge installed at all (and I do not have it).

It gives me an error (constant): "E" on "number of copies" and blinking cartridge light (I am assuming it is because the cartridge is missing, am I wrong?).

It prints ok when request is submitted from the computer but it would not copy or scan. Any solutions?

l

Student
hansklinge
Message 18 of 36 (4,886 Views)

Can I use black cartridge only (6210 AiO)

Student
Poolcast
Message 19 of 36 (4,122 Views)

This might help:  Apply Key and P to open Printer option....Under Presets select Default settings......then...select the menu item that says something like ....Fast Print, black and while only.   NOW YOU CAN STOP BUYING THOSE COLOR CARTRIDGES.

Tutor
Craig-123
Message 20 of 36 (4,112 Views)

Thanks Poolcast --that's the way it should work, and maybe it does work well on newer HP printers, so try that first.

* On my older XP operated computer you "Start" by selecting "Control Panel", then "Printers", right click the active printer, select "Preferences", select "Color", and at long last there are two grayscale choices: "High Quality" and "Black print cartridge only". The High Quality choice uses lots of color ink. The Black Cartridge Only choice forces my printer into a degraded resolution mode of performance --sort of an antique dot-matrix look.

That is why I bought a bulk load of "Stratitec" brand black ink through Amazon.com and started refilling both my black cartridge and the 3 holes of my color cartridge with this black ink. (Do it as soon as you get a warning --or when it begins to streak, so the print heads don't dry and clog up.)

I've refilled the cartridges on two HP 5610s here in the house many times now. If the printer objects or shuts the cartridge down, I simply rotate the cartridges between the printers, so the printer thinks it's a new cartridge.

I've come to really like the high quality art and photos this printer can print in grayscale. I've been entering them in folios which circulate around the nation (via postal mail).

You might have to find an older HP printer (with the complex install disks, if possible) to make my methods work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation