Question
Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty?
Replies (35)

Student
FedupwithHPprin
Message 21 of 36 (1,921 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty

I always bought HP printers simply because they did not require me to replace the color cartridges everytime my black ran out.  But then my new computer was too high level for the old printers and the only one I could find, I discovered, showed HP had moved into the same screw-the-consumer mode as other printer companies.

Shame on you! That's a rip-off pure and simple. It ought to be a bait-n-switch crime.

Honor Student
peggysue
Message 22 of 36 (1,906 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty

My 6210 with XP does  work on black only in the Color section of Preferences.

Student
Smile101
Message 23 of 36 (1,702 Views)

I have HP Officejet PRO 8500A Plus and one of the color cartridge "Y"  is empty and I just need to copy with Black. Please let me know how to do this. The machine does not let me do that and keep saying replace empty cartridge. Thank you.

Honor Student
peggysue
Message 24 of 36 (1,689 Views)

HP 6210, 5801a on Windows 8.1 with both cartridges loaded with factory ink.

Prints black only with settings at grayscale and black only on fast draft setting. Kind of a low quality grayish print. This was an email on verizon email website, which also had a button for black only on the Ctl/P print options page. No idea whether any color ink is used. As I say, both cartridges have ink with no warning messages. 

caveat: Your sanity will be challenged when you buy 8 or 8.1.

HP Support Agent
Sunshyn2005
Message 25 of 36 (1,687 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty?

Hi Smile101,

I would like to help. peggysue has given you some great advise. Printing in grayscale will help save on the amount of colour you use; however, because you are experiencing a depleted cartridge message this will not work for you at the moment. You will need to replace that cartridge in order to continue printing.

If the printer prints while one cartridge is empty air will go through the vent area of the cartridge, in turn reach and damage the printhead, for this reason the printer will stop printing when one cartridge becomes depleted. I like to say "it is protecting itself".

Note: If one cartridge is depleted you only have to replace the depleted cartridge. You do not need to replace any other cartridge if it is not depleted.

Hope this helps.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Please click the "Thumbs Up", just below, if you LIKE my post, or to say Thanks for helping!
Also, please consider marking my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Sunshyn2005

I work on behalf of HP
Tutor
Craig-123
Message 26 of 36 (1,682 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's e

It might be that current HP printers and cartridges are too clever to permit of refilling.

I have a pair of 5610 printers which have passed a ton of paper. They run forever(!), using #56 and #22 carts. Each cartridge comes with a new print head, so no big deal if you ding one. Just don't let them run dry and sit dry.

I buy black ink in bulk ("Stratitec" brand) and simply refill both cartridges with it. That way the printer is happy --and I'm very happy with the beautiful output, always running it at the highest quality settings, often on HP's "Premium" weight papers.

** To get top performance out of the 5610 and similar HP printers, you need the install CD --and follow the directions carefully. It might be, however, that the default Microsoft "plug-n-play" drivers will get an old used printer running well enough for you --never tried them. (I've been running HP's excellent printers since buying the their model #500 in 1990.)

Student
harrison1
Message 27 of 36 (1,340 Views)

Does HP have a printer that uses only black ink ?

Tutor
Craig-123
Message 28 of 36 (1,334 Views)

"Does HP have a printer that uses only black ink ?"

Yes. Google for the HP model 3610 or the 3620 AIO. It's designed for black ink only, runs cheaper than a monochrome laser printer (but without the headaches) and does an excellent grayscale job at prining photos.

If you live in India you can buy one.

If you live in the United States, you're SOL.

--Craig

Student
nonny5
Message 29 of 36 (743 Views)

how do I override the color ink on my printer and just use black? I get a message to replace the colored ink. 1 time I held the * button down and it worked for a few times. Now back to message to replace colored ink.

Help

george-p
Message 30 of 36 (732 Views)

Hi @Tonerseller ,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I'm sorry to inform you that your post has needed some editing to remove personal information  such as  the Facebook, Skype and email accounts in your post. From our Rules of Participation:

Protect privacy - yours and others'. Don't share anything about yourself that you would not want to see on a road-side billboard. Don't post contact or other personal information-your own or anyone else's-or any content that you receive in one-to-one communications without the author's consent. For example, don’t post your computer’s serial # or contact information publicly, and do not allow someone you don’t know to remotely take control of your computer.

If you need people to contact you directly, either ask them to send you a private message or subscribe to the thread so you will be notified when there are replies. You may also click on your name anywhere in the forum and you will be taken to your profile page, where you can find a list of threads you have participated in.

Sharing personal email addresses, telephone numbers, and last names is not allowed for your safety. If you have any questions feel free to send me a private message in reply.

Thank you
George

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation