Question
Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty?
Replies (35)

Tutor
Craig-123
Message 31 of 36 (412 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty

Hi Nonny-5.  You can see my earlier comments about getting good "black only" results with an old HP-5610 deskjet. The trick is to keep both cartridges filled with good black ink.  By running the printer in "high quality gray scale" mode (which uses both cartridges), I get near gallery quality imaging on HP's "Presentation Paper".

We've just added another Vista operated computer with a resurected HP-3050 for my wife. Again: I simply refilled both cartridges with black ink. (Have 2 folded paper towels handy to wipe  top and print head clean, push the syringe down through any crust or liner atop the sponge inside, cover the holes you exposed with black electrical tape.)

They'd dried up, but unplugged enough by soaking their print heads in cleaner solvent (came with the bulk supply of "Stratitec" black ink I bought from Amazon) to operate in the "black cartridge only mode", which I chose because I couldn't get a good alignment. I'll buy a new pair of carts soon, do the alignment, then choose the "high quality grayscale" mode (or whatever it's called).

Just yesterday this printer gave us some backtalk about refusing to print until I replace the defective color cartridge, but pushing the "Cancell" button has (so far) shut it up.

Tutor
tom101davies
Message 32 of 36 (173 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's e

why do HP staff just give a run around and always suggest BUY MORE CARTRIDGES

its like calling Sprint, their canned answer to every question is WE ARE WORKING ON THE TOWERS

come on now, smarten up

Honor Student
Arthur-A
Message 33 of 36 (171 Views)

Re: Can I use the black ink cartridge only, & quit replacing the color cartridge when it's empty

[ Edited ]

If you are not using the color ink it should not be getting depleted that fast. I print a lot of shipping labels and have replaced at least three or four BLACK cartridges without any worry about the color cartride. Plus, its still ready for the occaisional color print job.

What concerns me more is that the #61XL black cartridege costs twice as much as much as the# 61 black, Why?.

You can't fit 10 lbs of s*** in a 5pound bag.

The ultimate answer is upgrade to a monochromatic laser printer (about $100 entry level). 

Yes, the toner is expensive,but i have heard IT LASTS for a long time.

Seems like an investment that will pay off quickly.

Honor Student
Arthur-A
Message 34 of 36 (171 Views)

My Brother printer  has all sorts of communication problems, between network computers and printers. on both USB and WIFI. I can print one job ,then go back later and my default printer is not recognized.    Problems are tthe worst on WIFI.

The best printers I've owned WERE Lexmark ,

unfortunately the ink was more expensive than HP and color images were poor.

Tutor
Craig-123
Message 35 of 36 (162 Views)

Since my last post, our HP-3050 gave us a streak of backtalk: warnings, requests to rat out whoever sold us a "counterfeit cartridge", screen messages which practically ordered us to buy "genuine" HP carts, but the cancel button and clicking "X"/close returned us to normal operation. It might be that we're running in a degraded only mode now, but I'd already set the printer to draft mode, so it would have made no difference to us.

Again: latch onto an old HP-5610 (and the install CDs, if possible). Perhaps any HP printer which runs #22 and #56 carts would work as well. Our two 5610s continue to give great results in "Gray Scale / High Quality" mode by refilling with both carts (many times now) with bulk purchaced black ink (per my earlier posts here).

** It amazes me why some brand of printer has yet to break ranks and offer a decent, grayscale only, inkjet printer to the U.S. market. Try Googling "black only + deskjet" and similar descriptives. All it turns up are yos telling us to buy cheap laser printers --which are crappy for printing graphics (in my past experience).

** HP actually sells just such a deskjet in Japan, so they must figure Americans are stupid enough to go on buying color carts that we neither need nor want --forever.

Tutor
Craig-123
Message 36 of 36 (159 Views)

Sorry: that black-only HP printer is sold in India --the 3610 (and the 3620) --for only 7,999 Rupees.

"Choose laser-like performance and HP reliability at a great value, using a printer that delivers durable documents for an affordable running cost comparable to toner refills. Connect and print on the go. Scan and copy with ease."

It has no "wake up"/warm-up time, uses far less power than a laser printer, and it delivers deskjet graphics quality.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation