Can't get rid of "Genuine HP Cartridge(s) Installed" message. (3673 Views)
Top Student
marvista
Message 1 of 5 (3,673 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't get rid of "Genuine HP Cartridge(s) Installed" message.

I installed a new HP60XL black ink cartridge in my D2600 and from this point forward, each and every time I print (even a simple one-word "test" in notepad) I receive 20-30 of these pop-up messages.  I am aligned the cartridges in the HP Solution Center utility.  I have  verified that the contacts are clean. 

I really need this print capability and the nearest store is 200 miles away!  I bought genuine cartridges (as it reminds me) but the printer is nearly unusable without risking carpel tunnel from the clicking away the annoying messages.

What can be done to remedy this problem?

Grad Student
Pontus_N
Message 2 of 5 (3,666 Views)

Re: Can't get rid of "Genuine HP Cartridge(s) Installed" message.

Hello marvista,

You can most likely get rid of the messages this way:

Click Start then Run and type regedit and click Ok. Browse to hkey_local_machine/software/hewlett-packard/HPDJ printing system config/HPDeskjet 2600 series. Right-click in the right part of the screen and select New D-word value. Name it hpdjenablestatusclient (unless it's already there, in that case double-click it and change its value to 0). Close the registry editor and try printing again.

Top Student
marvista
Message 3 of 5 (3,663 Views)

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the registry tip - I checked and I don't even have the 'hpdj printing system key', so I thought something might be wrong with the install.  I ran the HP Update application and it located a critical application update for 'PC to Printer Communications'.  It was not an instant fix; the first print job loaded up the spooler, so I reset the spooler and now everything is back to normal; fast prints and no annoying pop-up messages.  The update did create the registry setting per your suggestion and this must be the solution.  Thank you - your reply put me on the right track for teh solution.

Honor Student
EXBworksmart
Message 4 of 5 (1,935 Views)

How To cancel out or remove the message “Using Genuine HP Cartridges has its Rewards” or “Thank you for using Genuine HP Cartridges” or “Genuine HP print cartridge installed” every single time you print no matter what options you click.  In Windows 7:  Go to Start>Devices and Printers>Right mouse click on the printer that is causing the pop-up then select “Printer Properties” (don’t select the “Fax” select the printer)>Go to the tab entitled “Ports”>uncheck “enable bidirectional support”.  FYI, bidirectional support allows the printer to communicate on some ephemeral level with the computer so I would rather just cancel the message but can’t seem to find the solution in the registry or other means. The pop up is either a screw up by HP software engineers or a means of "Judasware" (aka ‘stab-you-in-the-back’ ware).  HP has really gone downhill lately and makes many attempts to install sneakware in its required drivers; look at the newest version and you will see that to even get the basic drivers you have to fend off multiple covert (tacit consent) attempts to sneak in additional programs like Ask.com, toolbars, etc…  Meg Whitman is the new CEO so I place the new divisive tactics on her face but also blame the outgoing Vyomesh Joshi for creating a “new means to boost the stock price” and the new Todd Bradley will probably just keep employing the same deception.  At any rate, as someone with some degree of corporate buying power I will definitely make sure to avoid any HP servers, professional services, software, printers, laptops, etc.; if they do this to the home user then surely they trick corporate customers as well (just more subtly I’m sure).  Hewlett and Packard created the company by making a better product, they then increased the value with superior services, these newcomer “me-too” executives lack the creativity and drive to create so they have to trick and deceive with Sneakware and Judasware for a quick buck.  HP stock is down again today, hopefully it will de-list (read, go broke) rather than reward these deceptive business practices.

Honor Student
Twigs
Message 5 of 5 (1,333 Views)

[ Edited ]

to Pontus_N -- I'm having the same problem with my Photosmart 7525.  Am I right in guessing that I do the same thing, only navigate to the appropriate folder for my printer and substitute "ps" for "dj" in the registry value?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation