Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

As someone else posted

"First pull out of the printer the Ink Cartriges then
press 4 + # + OK - this sends you a info menu (Press keys simultaneously)
With the nav keys, scroll to the CHECKSUM FOR RELOCK DATA INPUT - press Ok 5 times . Then exit by pressing Cancell Button.
If this dosnt work the 1st time, you need 2 or 3 times more to ensure relock data ok

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1247378-hp_officejet_6310_all_in_one_cartridge

Hint: After you press 4 + # + OK, you get a menu. Hit left arrow. Then it gives you a code to enter. Enter those digits.

Some kind of voodoo going on. It works for me, but only temporarily. I have to do it again from time to time to make the printer work again.

YES, this is voodo magic. Is there a software fix for this? I have tried everything suggested and nothing is permanent. Apparently HP doesn't want to tell the truth about the problem. I read somewhere that their cartridges are date coded internal to the cartridge which tells the computer software that it must be replaced. This is a disaster. I really like the printer, but I cannot deal with this.

DOES ANYONE KNOW OF A PREMANENT FIX FOR THIS PROBLEM?

HP Recommended

Hello

In my case  it was the contacts in the carridge were cover in ink. Instead of using distill water and have to wait for a while to dry, I use rubbing alcohol on a q-tip gentlly clear off the ink. You may have to do this serveral times depends how much ink there is. Note shut off the printer when doing this.  Then with a dry q-tip over over the contact surface in the carridge.  Also check the cartridge to see if its contacts are also full of ink.  Use clean q-tip to verified the contacts are dry, Insert cartridge and error should  disappear. 

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

The cartrdige being empty would not cause printing to be blocked on this model, but if it has failed electrically you will get that message.  Cleaning the cartridge contacts as shown here may help the problem. 

For printing only (not copying) you may be able to print in reserve mode by removing the color cartridge.  Some all-in-one models do not support this feature, I am not sure aout the Officejet 6310.

Hello

In my case  it was the contacts in the carridge were cover in ink. Instead of using distill water and have to wait for a while to dry, I use rubbing alcohol on a q-tip gentlly clear off the ink. You may have to do this serveral times depends how much ink there is. Note shut off the printer when doing this.  Then with a dry q-tip over over the contact surface in the carridge.  Also check the cartridge to see if its contacts are also full of ink.  Use clean q-tip to verified the contacts are dry, Insert cartridge and error should  disappear. 

HP Recommended

I am experiencing the same problem with my J6450 all in one HP unit.  What I did was open the HP Solution Center and selected the Print Settings; Printer Toolbox;   then selected the Print Diagnostic page and then once completed printed the TEST page.    At the completion my printer started printing again.  I decided as a last minute action was to select the align the Cartridge option.  This successfully ran without any cartridge messages.

I have read through many different forums on this problem and it is interesting how the problem suddenly appeared.  In my case my re-cycled cartridge was working until a new HP update was introduced then on my next attempt to print the error message  "Cartridge on left must be replaced" even though it was inserted three days earlier.   I put in an old cartrdige that was close to empty and interesting the message went away without a problem but as soon as I re-inserted the cartrdige in question - the message returned. 

I understand that HP has an interest in selling their cartridges but I am sorry - as a consumer once I purchase and pay for the product I should have a choice of using original or re-filled cartrdiges especially where re-filled cartridges operate equally and if not better than the original for much less the cost.    Although there appears to be denial from HP with introducing software fixes to eliminate the use of OEM cartrdiges, and it may very well  be true but it remains a mystery how so many of their customers without any warning all have this same message.    How is it possible that so many different models of different ages encounter the same problem and the noticeable factor is clients that chose to use re-filled cartridges.  

I would think that HP would be concerned and look into this problem other than someone offering the suggestion to clean the cartridge and to suggest to use original HP products that should clear this problem. 

I am very disappointed with HP's professionalism and if there is some type of software error update that is creating this problem to discourage the purchase of OEM cartridges then it would be in the best interests of HP to look into this rumour, and if possible does exist, to correct the code and offer a solution.   

I have worked in the IT field for many years and I found that HP products offered a good product for price but with this recent problem, my future solution will be if the message is to surface again,  to physically damage my printer to prevent any other person inheriting this problem, sending it to a recycle center and then purchase any other BRAND other than HP.   To any of my clients seeking advice on a printer purchase - you can be certain my advice will be any other BRAND than HP. 

Remember HP - as consumers it is our choice and will always be the choice of the consumer on using original versus OEM and that option should always be available without consequences.

Good Evening

HP Recommended

after trying all the vo-doo nonsene and getting nowhere, I have to thank the previous poster.

I realized that my PC took a software update and BAM! the printer didn't work, found I had a spare color HP cartiage in the house, popped it in and now the **bleep** thing works fine.

SHAME ON YOU HP! DISPICABLE the way your update forces the use of HP cartiages.  

HP Recommended

well my previous optimisim about the fix was short lived.

after turning on the printer a few days later - now the black cartridge is giving the same error.... SMH...

HP Recommended

I used a q-tip dipped in isopropyl alcahol.  On the cartidge and the printer head.  It immediately started to align cartridge.
Sorry for poor sentence structure.  :smileyvery-happy:

HP Recommended

This proceedure works! I had to do it 3 times...success!

@straightbourbon wrote:

Try this:

HP Officejet 6310 All-in-one
---------------------------------------------
First pull out of the printer the Ink Cartriges then
With the nav keys, scroll to the CHECKSUM FOR RELOCK DATA INPUT - press Ok 5 times . Then exit by pressing Cancell Button.
If this dosnt work the 1st time, you need 2 or 3 times more to ensure relock data ok

Hint: After you press 4 + # + OK, you get a menu. Hit left arrow. Then it gives you a code to enter. Enter those digits.

Some kind of voodoo going on. It works for me, but only temporarily. I have to do it again from time to time to make the printer work again.

HP Recommended

@straightbourbon wrote:

Try this:

HP Officejet 6310 All-in-one
---------------------------------------------
First pull out of the printer the Ink Cartriges then

This procedure works. I had to do it 3 times...Success!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.