Question

Tutor
Chiltipin
Message 1 of 11 (2,712 Views)

Cartridge Error on Officejet Pro L7680

HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-In-One Issue first occurred about six months ago when I installed the last HP-88XL Yellow cartridge. (In July or August the humidity was pretty high, so I don't think static discharge should have been an issue.) Message on printer: "Cannot print - Replace the following empty ink cartridge(s) to resume printing" + yellow cartridge thumbnail OS: Windows 2000 SP4, printer is on USB The issue first occurred when I replaced the last yellow cartridge. I got the usual "thank you" message for installing genuine HP ink cartridges, then this message. I pulled and replaced it, and all was well for the next few weeks. Then the same message and the gauge shows that the yellow cartridge is empty. The 'pull and replace' worked again to fix the problem (and show proper ink level). The frequency of this issue has steadily increased since then. Recently, the issue has sometimes occurred on every other document printed (at random locations in each second document). Printing one doc at a time usually avoided the problem. With about 25% of the yellow ink remaining, it has quit altogether. I just put in a new HP-88XL Yellow cartridge. I got the usual "thank you" message, then this same error message. I have tried the 'pull and replace' several times, turning it on and off, disconnecting the power overnight, with and without the computer, and everything I could think of with the controls on the printer and the HP tools on the computer. The "HP Printing Diagnostics Utility" (IJS_PDU0101_NN_W32_U_WW.exe) says that everything is fine. There must be a better diagnostic tool, but I couldn't find one on HP's website. I'm out of ideas. Please help!
Tutor
Chiltipin
Message 2 of 11 (2,700 Views)

Re: Cartridge Error on Officejet Pro L7680

Please excuse the jumbled-up mess in my first post.  All my formatting disappeared when I posted.  There is apparently a software issue with my browser (IE) so I am trying again using Firefox this time.

HP Officejet Pro L7680 All-In-One

Issue first occurred about six months ago when I installed the last HP-88XL Yellow cartridge. (In July or August the humidity was pretty high, so I don't think static discharge should have been an issue.)

Message on printer: "Cannot print - Replace the following empty ink cartridge(s) to resume printing"

+ yellow cartridge thumbnail

The issue first occurred when I replaced the last yellow cartridge. I got the usual "thank you" message for installing genuine HP ink cartridges, then this message. I pulled and replaced it, and all was well for the next few weeks. Then the same message and the gauge shows that the yellow cartridge is empty. The 'pull and replace' worked again to fix the problem (and show proper ink level). The frequency of this issue has steadily increased since then. Recently, the issue has sometimes occurred on every other document printed (at random locations in each second document). Printing one doc at a time usually avoided the problem. With about 25% of the yellow ink remaining, it has quit altogether. I just put in a new HP-88XL Yellow cartridge. I got the usual "thank you" message, then this same error message. I have tried the 'pull and replace' several times, turning it on and off, disconnecting the power overnight, with and without the computer, and everything I could think of with the controls on the printer and the HP tools on the computer. The "HP Printing Diagnostics Utility" (IJS_PDU0101_NN_W32_U_WW.exe) says that everything is fine.

There must be a better diagnostic tool, but I couldn't find one on HP's website. I'm out of ideas. Please help!

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 3 of 11 (2,693 Views)

There are 2 things I would advise for the symptoms you are experiencing:

1) Remove the yellow 88XL cartridge you installed and clean the electrical contact.  Use a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol/clean water (depending on availability and regulations in your region) to clean the contact on the cartridge.  I would also use a flashlight to look inside the ink cartridge slot of the printer to clean the matching contact inside the unit.

2) I would also try running the HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility to see if the tool can give any more insight into the issue.

One may also consider resetting the printer with a Partial Reset to see if the unit's internals simply need a refresh.  Before following the steps below, please take a look at Bob_Headrick's thread found here.

* Unplug printer while powered on

* Wait 30 seconds

* Press and Hold the # and 3 buttons while plugging the unit back in

* Release the buttons after the unit begins to power up

* Follow the on-screen instructions.

Keep in mind that this resets the customer input data and you may have to reinput things such as fax settings, network settings, etc.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Tutor
Chiltipin
Message 4 of 11 (2,688 Views)

I first wanted to see what the diagnostic would tell me about the current state.  The HP hardware Diagnostics Utility will not run under Windows 2000.  It should be easy to plug the USB cable into the other computer running XP --- so you might think!

I tried installing this driver: "OJProL7X00_Basic_8_3.exe" because the diagnostic prefers to have a driver.  The software installed, but it could not find the printer.  Redone several times unsuccessfully.  Also tried the dianostic several times and it also could not find the printer.  After a few hours fiddling with Windows Hardware Installation Wizard I got XP to recognize that the printer was there (on the USB), but still the above two progs could not find it.  Using the disk that came with the printer and a few restarts and a couple more failled attempts (at finding it) for this software too, and 7 hours later the printer is finally connected.  All this activity at one point chewed up all 1GB+ of free space which took Norton Utilities about 40 min. to clean up.  While the HP disk installed (the final 'successful' - which took over an hour) the Windows wizard kept popping up and asking me to insert the CD (alread in there) to install drivers for the printer and for a mass storage device.  I don't remember that the last time, or it taking so long.

The HP Hardware Diagnostic Utility 4.1 "HPHDU.exe" says Connectivity is OK with red "X" beside Device Status.

Message: "Your printer is in the following error state: Out of Ink"

The test terminated at this point.  The ink levels reported that the Yellow was "Status: Out".  It is a new cartridge.  Curiously the "Ink Install Date" reports November 2009 (when I bought the printer) for all four colors.  Here's some Printer Data:

Firmware Version: R2011NxNxdN0

Born on Date: 10/2/2009

Page Count: 5328 -------------------------I've gone through 3 of each XL color!!!! (4 of the yellow)  I have'nt done photos.

Printer Driver Version: 61.63.263.23

The HP Print and Scan Doctor "HPPSdr.exe" says "Everything checks out okay with your product."  The test page would not print.  It found a problem with the Front Panel scan settings.  I could not fix because there is no "Settings" menu in the HP Solution Center.  Curiously, the HP Solution Center is for "HP Scanjet 4570c/5500c".

Out of time.  I'll try cleaning the contacts and the reset, if I have to, tomorrow night.  Any other ideas you might have before then are appreciated.  Thanks.

Tutor
Chiltipin
Message 5 of 11 (2,671 Views)

Cleaned contacts with 99% alcohol in printer and on cartridge.  Pulled and replaced 10 times.  Also tried a couple old black cartridges (near empty) because the printer thinks the current one is empty (I weighed it, so I know there is still some left).  Anyway, the problem with the yellow started long before the black one became an issue.  I am wondering if I should invest another $50 in a black cartridge when there is no clear reason to think that this has any relation to the problem.  And what are the chances of getting two bad yellow cartridges in a row?

I then did the partial reset as you advised.  The printer informed me that it was doing a partial reset, but there were no instructions to follow.  After the reset finished, the printer is in the same state a before.  Is there a full reset?  Where do I go from here?

Is this a problem with print head contacts?  I remember with my Officejet 7130 that was a constant problem that started a couple weeks after the warranty expired, and led to all sorts of error messages not related to the print heads at all.  Like: carriage jam, ink expired, scanner error, front pannel error, and on and on.  I would assume that HP has an improved contact design for these printheads.  The contacts on the 7130 were a ridiculuously horrific design that had to be kept clean beyond anything reasonably achievable at home.  I remember once a single piece of lint fiber barely visible with a magnifying glass caused that printer to fail!

This is my observation: cleaning the cartridge contacts seems to be a pervasive first line of advice throughout the HP literature on absolutely every model of printer.  On this model, these are spring loaded wiping contacts.  I fail to see how this could ever be an issue on this model short of the plating failing and leading to a thick buildup of corrosion, as long as the printer is thoughtfully maintained in a clean environment.  I shouldn't have to use sandpaper, should I?

Is there a service manual?  What would a service professional check next?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 6 of 11 (2,668 Views)

I would be suspecting the electrical portion of the ink system in this case, possibly in the printhead as you mentioned.  There is a more comprehensive reset and I will be sending the information to you via inbox messages.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Tutor
Chiltipin
Message 7 of 11 (2,664 Views)

Before I mess with the printheads, I have a few questions:

There are at least two HP instructions involving removing the printheads, the main difference being that in the first (cleaning) you are supposed to unplug the printer during the process, and in the second (replacement) you are not.  Same with the 7130.  At least in that model there were contacts being slid over others they don't make connection with in usage.  Some experience with electronics tells me that you would never want to do that without power disconnected and all caps discharged (granted, the design may be such that these particular intermittant contacts don't do damage).  Can you give the link to the two procedures for the L7680, and are they really correct as written?

I read in another post that someone fried his printheads because he inserted them when the carriage was not in the correct position.  Again, why should it be powered-up when inserting printheads?

Finally, when I first got this printer, I wasn't sure I had the printheads pushed down far enough, so following the HP procedure I pulled and replaced them.  They were exposed only a few seconds, much shorter than during the initial install, but many of the magenta nozzles dried up.  They eventually unclogged themselves in use.  I can't help but think that electricity flowing where it should not while it was being inserted (all powered-up per HP procedure) caused the nozles to heat up & dry the ink in the nozzles.

When I think that I spent over an hour of troubleshooting with my 7130 in its last few months for each document printed, mostly print head contact and colgged nozzle issues, messing with the printheads is something I only consider as a last resort.  Do I really want to be powered-up when replacing them?

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 8 of 11 (2,605 Views)

There are 2 reasons, I know of, that you would want to power the unit down during manual printhead cleaning.

1) It allows the printer time to reset internals without the ink system parts in place.  This is part of what is known as an ink system reset and easy to do during the process of cleaning the printhead.

2) Prevents an electrical issue when putting the printhead back in if there is still any small amount of residual moisture.  

When replacing the printheads with a new one, one would be using a new fresh, dry printhead.  It is okay to have the printer turned on in this case as the printer was designed for this capability.

I am not an HP employee.
Honor Student
MR_Thor
Message 9 of 11 (2,649 Views)

I have two HP inkjets using 88 cartridges...business k8600 and officejet 7380 (maybe). Its the printheads giving me grief.

When a black/yellow printhead reported faulty I swapped c9381a printheads resulting in confirmation that it was indeed clogged. Problem occured when switching back. They then both reported faulty. 

Subsequently read somewhere that removing or swapping (cold) contributed to printhead expiry. 

Wanted to replace printheads with 'dated' printehead cartridges but not sure if these will work.  Read that date on printhead box was 'warranty' and not expiry. 

Or is there some trick I can try with the faulty printheads to restore? 

Signed, 

Fifteen year HP inkjetter

Honor Student
MR_Thor
Message 10 of 11 (2,649 Views)

I have two HP inkjets using 88 cartridges...business k8600 and officejet 7380 (maybe). Its the printheads giving me grief. I'm using Windows XP operating system.

When a black/yellow printhead reported faulty I swapped c9381a printheads resulting in confirmation that it was indeed clogged. Problem occured when switching back. They then both reported faulty. 

Subsequently read somewhere that removing or swapping (cold) contributed to printhead expiry. 

Wanted to replace printheads with 'dated' printehead cartridges but not sure if these will work.  Read that date on printhead box was 'warranty' and not expiry. 

Or is there some trick I can try with the faulty printheads to restore? 

Signed, 

Fifteen year HP inkjetter

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation