Question
Tutor
Message 1 of 10 (529 Views)
Accepted Solution

Color Missing

I replaced my ink cartridges and now the magneta color is missing on my HP7510 .. i've gone through ALL the steps listed (clean cartridges/vents), clean connections, etc. Reset... Nothing seems to work.  Also, I can't get my printer to print just B&W in teh meantime (so everything is coming out blue/green since the magneta is missing).  I'm running on a Mac, so how do I change the setting to B&W?

Accepted Solution

Re: Color Missing

Solved it!  Turns out I needed to remove the printhead, rinse in warm water until water runs clear (took me a good ten minutes and toward the end only magenenta was coming out as obviously my magneta was clogged and I wasn't getting any ink through the inkhead when trying to print).  Then I air-dried (and used a hair dryer set on cool) and re-installed.  After the printer went through it's automatic set-up, alignment and cleaning cartriges.. Perfect printing.  And I didn't ahve to spend 60-80 dollars on a new printhead.

I found this info on Amazon when I went to purchase a new one.  Since my HP is out of warranty already, it couldn't hurt to try and so glad I did.. Just wish I would've found the information first and when a color is COMPLETELY missing from the print out and cleaning the connections does nothing, it obviously a clog somewhere; either in the cartrige or the printhead.

Hopefuly this helps someone else... 

View solution in context
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 10 (495 Views)

Hello ac76,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

It would seem you have troubleshoot this issue with the 7510 not printing the color correctly to the fullest. In order to print black only on the Mac you can try this guide: Mac OS X: Printing with the Black Print Cartridge Only Option. It states for version 10.3 & 10.4 but the setting are basically the same for all the Mac's.

If you wanted to look into replacing the printhead this HP document: Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages has the part number and the website to look into those options.

Regards,

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Message 3 of 10 (486 Views)

Solved it!  Turns out I needed to remove the printhead, rinse in warm water until water runs clear (took me a good ten minutes and toward the end only magenenta was coming out as obviously my magneta was clogged and I wasn't getting any ink through the inkhead when trying to print).  Then I air-dried (and used a hair dryer set on cool) and re-installed.  After the printer went through it's automatic set-up, alignment and cleaning cartriges.. Perfect printing.  And I didn't ahve to spend 60-80 dollars on a new printhead.

I found this info on Amazon when I went to purchase a new one.  Since my HP is out of warranty already, it couldn't hurt to try and so glad I did.. Just wish I would've found the information first and when a color is COMPLETELY missing from the print out and cleaning the connections does nothing, it obviously a clog somewhere; either in the cartrige or the printhead.

Hopefuly this helps someone else... 

Student
Message 4 of 10 (331 Views)

Dear ac76

you're a flippin' genius - thanks

you just saved me £60 - been trying all sorts of 'clean and align' printhead etc...didnt think of rinsing it under a tap! works a treat

Cheers

rik - Edinburgh

Honor Student
Message 5 of 10 (143 Views)

I have no color at all even though I have 3 fresh cartridges. How likely is that? And, before I start cleaning all my print heads, are there any "hidden" settings in my computer preventing the color printing. I ask because a techie at my local Office Max store said to look for any kind of setting inhibiting color printing....??!!

Thanks

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 10 (119 Views)

Hey custerhank ,

Are you too using a 7510 All-in-One? To easily determine if there are setting on the computer blocking the color ink, perform a print quality report from the printer's front panel.

If you are using the 7510, press the wrench icon in the right corner> Tools> Printer Quality Report. Does color print on the page?

For more info on soaking the printhead as  ac76 suggested, click here: Re: black ink not working. Ensure you read the full post before trying the soak and double check warranty status first.

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
Message 7 of 10 (102 Views)

I have a 5510 all-in-one. I have done both the diagnostic and the Printer Status and color shows fine and good levels. I am stumped. Still wondering if I have turned something off - but what do I know?

Thanks

HP Support Agent
Message 8 of 10 (97 Views)

The 5510 does not have a removable printhead to my knowledge, so the soak is out. Since your printer is printing colors fine on selftest, the soak wouldn't be useful to you any way. 

Fill me in on the computer / connection you have.

1. Is it a USB or Wireless connection?
  2. What is the computer, Windows, including version, e.g. Windows 7 or Mac, including version, e.g. 10.8?
  3. What are you printing from, Email, Internet, etc?
  4. Is the print omitting color or is it printing everything as a grey scale?

Cheers!

JERENDS
I work on behalf of HP

Honor Student
Message 9 of 10 (88 Views)

1. USB Connection.

2. Windows 7.

3. E-mail and Internet - everything.

4. Prints Gray Scale.

FYI - When I print and check print options etc. there is no color option to select. Maybe I am old school, but distinctly recall in the old days that selecting color was an option. ...? I was previously able to print color photo's (have not done that lately) but that has been a few months since I tried.  Your help is appreciated.

Top Student
Message 10 of 10 (50 Views)

sounds like  cleaning the  printhead  would be my solution, BUT how do I remove it? I have the C 7280 Photosmart all in one

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation