Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

It has taken me a long time to realise HP have total control of my printer, C309a. It was the same with my HP G55. However they won't get me anymore, i'm in the UK, I am finding a printer that does what I want it to do  and that means print with cheap inks. I bought my HP Premium to print photo's, ridiculous! I would need all new cartridges for every 30 pictures printed. That would cost £45 and I am not that stupid. Take a hike HP!

HP Recommended

At least, something it's true in this post: HP doesn't store the page count in magnetic strips, but in the firmware memory.

EDIT: Ignore that part, I think I'm mistaken.  

I got the combo to enter flash mode, but can't find HPReflash, and the binary to flash as well. 

I think there should be a combination to reset, but I didn't find it till now. PM me if you have it. I am getting sick of workarounds. 

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I think it is bull**bleep** that my printer won't print properly every time the ink is low - it thinks I have committed a horrible crime and used a counterfeit cartridge.  It is the same cartridge that has been in the stupid thing for 6 months now - you would think someone would have programmed it with the technology to tell that the door to the ink cartidges has not even been opened in 6 months - how did I get it in there if it was never opened?  Osmosis?  But never the less, I aparently have somehow injected a counterfeit cartridge in through the cracks so now my warranty is now void.  This is crap.  It is just another way for them to not honor their warranties.

HP Recommended

I have to agree with Tillacat to some extent.

Using remanufactured cartridges doesn't automatically void the warranty, but it's hard explaining that to the subcontractors HP use so the non-HP cartridges do cause problems with support.

Through a trivial bit of coding HP could introduce accept/reject options for non-HP cartridges, but HP just isn't interested in doing so.

Corporate or consumer, pro-genuine cartridges or not, HP isn't interested in helping anyone use appropriate cartridges.

HP Recommended

This is the first thing I stumbled across looking for a solution.

I just went out and bought a brand new cartridge from OfficeMax, a reputable store not exactly close to anywhere I usually go.

After I installed it, the system said "Used black cartridge in use" and refused to print. As I was still on the first cartridge until after my printer ran out of warranty, there was no reasonable point when I could have received covered support for this issue.

I don't have time for this.

I had thought that since our HP printers at work have run for an extended time under heavy use before running into any baffling problems, an HP printer at home would do the same. I'm currently feeling that I was really, really wrong.

HP Recommended

@JKB42 wrote:

This is the first thing I stumbled across looking for a solution.

I just went out and bought a brand new cartridge from OfficeMax, a reputable store not exactly close to anywhere I usually go.[ snip]

Please read this post then provide some details.  What printer model? What operating system? Are there any error messages on the printer or computer screen?  Is the cartridge an HP or an OfficeMax brand?  If the latter I would suggest returning it for a refund and using the proceeds to buy a quality product.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

HP cartidge. It turns out that another cartridge works, so I'm going to assume that the one that was giving me so many problems was somehow damaged in shipping or some such (though the carton looks fine) and return it.

HP Recommended

I really want to cry. I always use genuine HP ink cartridges. Just paid $92 at OfficeMax today for the 950 XL Black and entire 951 color combo pack.

My HP wireless was saying I needed the yellow ink only.  So I put that in when I got home.  Then it kept saying it's counterfeit??? **bleep**?? Then somehow was able to get past that and have no idea what I did I think I just had to complete a question that popped up.  Then it said Cyan was empty.  Well since I JUST PAID $92 at OFFICE MAX for the entire set of all colors I put the brand new Cyan in.  Now it KEEPS SAYING I NEED TO INSTALL GENUINE HP cartridges, etc.  It will not no matter what let me print.  Now I have to put this all back in the box and then take back to OFFICE MAX to get my money back.

I am very angry at HP.  I have a business and this has hurt my business. I will never recommend them ever and I can't imagine they can stay in business with faulty products or software.  There seems to be all kinds of similar issues in this forum and this forum shouldn't have to exist! We are in the year 2014. And what is all this I read about it stopping at 100 prints automatically regardless of whether it's really out of ink or not? Wouldn't that be considered a crime and illegal?

HP Recommended

@SoNotTechSavvy wrote:

[snip] . And what is all this I read about it stopping at 100 prints automatically regardless of whether it's really out of ink or not? [snip]

What you read about the printer stopping automatically after 100 prints is absolutely and completely false.  

It has been repeated (by the same person) several times in this thread but it has NO BASIS IN FACT.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Thanks for telling me about the counterfeit and refill cartridges.  I've always purchased my cartridges from the stores (Best Buy and Walmart)  and thought they were the real deal. I haven't tried to refill any HP cartridges; the thought just never entered my mind.  It seems like it's a hassle to do so and would be easier for me to buy from the stores.

However, what intrigues me about your story is that lately I have been purchasing my cartridges  directly online from the HP store.  After I put the new cartridge in the printer it stop working. This is the first time that this happened to me.  Then, I put the old cartridge back in the printer to see if it would print. The counterfeit message as you stated appeared on the screen.  Note that this is the old cartridge that I bought from the online HP store, as well as, the new one that I received.

Next, I went to Walmart to buy a 3rd cartridge and that cartridge did not work either, does this means that I have to buy a new printer because the cartridge that I bought from the online HP store damage it.  What can I do to get my printer working  again?  From reading your post how can the HP store do such a thing? After all, they already had me as a customer - if they are behind this I will have to move on to their competitors because the HP online store would be the one that sold me the conterfeit cartridge.  If this HP counterfeit scam is true I'm  disappointed.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.