Question

Top Student
John_Wilson
Message 1 of 8 (2,831 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cyan not printing on HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus - Air bubbles in ink tubes

Hi all,

I know why the cyan is not printing.  It is because of the following:

A while ago, I ran out of cyan ink while printing ("please replace cyan before continuing").  I live in a remote area and was not able to buy a replacement cyan cartridge, so I read about a hack on the Internet, which entailed tricking the printer into thinking that the cyan cartridge still had ink in it (just basically restricting the measuring gage so that it read the cartridge as full).  I did this because I had a document to print that only required black ink, so I knew it wouldn't be a problem.  Life then happened, and I completely forgot about my little shortcut, and my wife printed a number of colour photos.  I finally got around to replacing the cartridges, and I now realised that cyan is not printing at all.  I have now opened the printer, and have realised that the cyan ink tube is full of air bubbles...

I have tried to resolve this by printing A4 pages that are mostly cyan, but with no luck.  I have even tried to put pressure on the cyan ink cartridge in an attempt to flood the cyan ink tubes - this also didn't work.  I read somewhere that there is a way of actually getting some printers to pump the tubes with ink, is this possible on the Officejet Pro 8500 A Plus?

Obviously I have done every tool that is preset in the 8500 arsenal, but still no luck.  

I know that I am in the situation I am in purely because I didn't use the device as intended, and that no-one is to blame but me, but I would really appreciate any assistance you people could provide.

Thanks,

John

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 8 (2,790 Views)

Re: Cyan not printing on HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus - Air bubbles in ink tubes

John, sounds like you are having an issue with the ink system. Unfortunately, what it sounds like has happened here is that your ink nozzle, piping and probably print-head have dried up for cyan. That work around is rather nifty, but it's really only recommended for an extremely temporary fix. If the ink has dried in the tubing as well as other locations in the printer then there is a decent chance that this printer will not be likely able to print cyan again. You can attempt to perform the automated cleaning processes (up to three times I would say)  through the Tools menu under Setup (the wrench icon). 

Beyond that I am not sure that this is going to be an issue that has a simple resolution. Apologies, John.

-Spencer 

PS Hope you are having a wonderful day and that your weather is as beautiful there as it is here!  

Top Student
John_Wilson
Message 3 of 8 (2,784 Views)

Thanks AlwaysNeon,
The ink is luckily not dry, it is fluid, and I can see movement in the cyan ink tube when I put pressure on the cyan ink cartridge, and when I shook the printhead cyan ink came out, but I think you are right, it is unlikely this problem will have an easy solution.
Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 8 (2,764 Views)

I would as I recommended try the automated cleaning processes, see if you can get the ink flowing through those tubes again. Unfortunately, becaue you have been using an effectively empty cartridge, the machine has been drawing in air instead of ink. Those air bubbles are going to be hard to get out once they are present. 

-Spencer 

I hope you have a wonderful and safe weekend! I know I will as it will be my birthday!  

Top Student
John_Wilson
Message 5 of 8 (2,752 Views)

Hi Spencer,

I've aligned and cleaned printheads as is possible under the tools option on the printer - I have cleaned printheads to third level now.  I remember that I once was able to access a manufacturers tools panel or something like that - the display was white and there was black writing with a number of options not available in normal mode.  Do you know how I access these additional tools?  Other than printhead cleaning and aligning, what other tools should I try and use to get the air bubbles out?  I have the HP Officejet 8500a Plus. 

Thank you very much for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

John

Top Student
John_Wilson
Message 6 of 8 (2,749 Views)

Hi Spencer,

I finished the third level of printhead cleaning and the cyan ink started printing again - thank you very much for suggesting trying the tools first.  I was about to gut the printer and try to manually flood the cyan ink tube - would have been messy!

Thanks again!

John

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 7 of 8 (2,712 Views)

That is fantastic to hear, you just had to get the ink flowing again! I am glad you are back up and running, and if you ever have any further questions or issues I hope that you remember the experience you had here on the forums and know that me and my colleagues are here almost 24-7 to help support you and your needs. 

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here!

-Spencer
Student
margaritivil
Message 8 of 8 (2,538 Views)

My cyan stopped working.  After my ink ran dry over the summer, I didn't replace with new ink until school started again.  The problem is now, the cyan isn't printing.  I've cleaned the print heads mutiple times with no luck.  Every once in a while I will see some cyan streaks, but not alot.  I've been reading about air bubles.  I'm pretty good at fixing things myself, what do you recomend I do?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation