Question

Student
ajmerphull
Message 1 of 3 (147 Views)

Design Fault Officejet Pro 8500A Ink Tubes

How long do you expect to receive trouble free printing from a printer, apart from printer jams, aligning cartridges, etc... i had my previous HP for over 10 years and it never caused me any issues. I purchased the HP8500A for its multiple purpose function, scanner, fax, printer.

i purchased this in 2011 and with only light use, with the print setting to draft, i have replced the ink cartridges 3 times with the 940XL version. The third replacement failed the alignment and having spent 4 hours following the information provided on this forum, i discovered that the ink tubes had become free from their cradle and had been trapped and kinked by the print head carrier. I have also discovered the ink has been injected into the printer case beneath the print head carrier.

It became obvious when i noticed the ink tube trapped by the print head carrier, how the tube became kinked and over time, pulled lose and allowed the ink to be injected into the printer beneath the print head carrier.

I want to know how many others have had the same issue and what if anything has been done.

_8920.jpg

_8922.jpg

_8923.jpg

_8926.jpg

_8927.jpg

_9230.jpg

_9231.jpg

_9232.jpg

_9233.jpg

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (141 Views)

Re: Officejet Pro 8500A Ink Tubes

The ink in the service station area is normal, some ink is used during startup and printing to keep the printhead from clogging.  The document here describes how ink is used.  In the vocabularily of that document the Officejet 8500a is an IIC printer.

Kinked or disconnected ink tubes are not normal and the printer will require service as described in the document here.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Student
petebri
Message 3 of 3 (23 Views)

Re: Design Fault Officejet Pro 8500A Ink Tubes

I have exactly the same design fault which resulted in kinked tubes now the cyan doesnt work. Its outside the warranty so I have a pile of expensive junk unless I can repair it myself. Its had only 2 black cartridges so not exactly well used. 

Come on HP sort this out for me!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation