Question

Honor Student
duchovlet
Message 1 of 3 (487 Views)

Deskjet 656c says only 1 cartridge installed but 2 are-wont align-prints GREEN only not BLACK/CMYK

PRINTER: HP Deskjet 656c

PROBLEM: hp deskjet 656c says only 1 cartridge installed but 2 actually are - won't align heads - only prints in 'green' instead of black or CMYK

I changed the black (#20) and color (#49) ink cartridges in my HP Deskjet 656c - a simple pull one cartridge out & put a new one in manuever. (I've changed ink lots of times before with no problem.) Printer worked fine before the new ink. I tried to align heads since there is new ink installed. but I get a message that says there is no need to align because only 1 cartridge is installed. I've never gotten this message before.

Q: Why am I getting this message and why is the printer only seeing 1 of the cartridges? (And, FYI, I have no idea if it is seeing the color one or the black cartridge.)

Q: I've tried printing test pages and test documents in both color and grayscale w/black ink only. It doesn't matter what I select, everything on the printed page looks a weird green color of ink. (Yes, even the "black only" selection.)

Q: I've tried printing 4 color bars to test (in the ink cartridge colors of pure black, cyan, magenta, and yellow). Still everything looks greenish.

Q: I've reset settings to factory default (using button to factory reset that is provided) but that does nothing to fix things.

Q: I did not do any computer updates (or similar) things before changeing ink. It was just fine and then not fine after the new cartridges were put in.

Q: I have also noticed that printing shipping labels has changed. Labels & their receipt used to print on the whole page. Now they print at about 50% for some reason. (This seems to only happen with lables, not other documents - they seem to print at whatever size I select - but only in the green ink.)

Can anyone please help me? I have no idea what to do. I have tried to look around the properties box and various tabs for the 656c (plus manuals and online) but can't see anythng that seems out of the ordinary nor find reference for my problems. My guess is that the problem is something to do with the printer not seeing both cartridges-  and if I could get it to see both of them again things would work OK. But that is just a guess.

There is a CONFIGURATION tab in the HP toolbox and then a selection under that tab called "Configure Print Cartridges". I did NOT change this (or any other settings) before the problems started. After the problem, however, I did change the selection under this tab to see if things would get fixed. Didn't matter what I selected (1 tri-color, 1 black, or 2 cartridges) nothing fixed problem. That tab seemstheonly logical place to try and troubleshoot that I could see.

THANKS FOR ANY HELP :smileyhappy:

Grad Student
aks3621
Message 2 of 3 (462 Views)

Re: Deskjet 656c says only 1 cartridge installed but 2 are-wont align-prints GREEN only not BLACK/CM

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bua00226&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=61278&tmp_tr...

Please follow the above link to troubleshoot the issue with the printer. The steps in the document should help.

I am an employee of HP.

**Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left**

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.*

Honor Student
duchovlet
Message 3 of 3 (454 Views)

Re: Deskjet 656c says only 1 cartridge installed but 2 are-wont align-prints GREEN only not BLACK/CM

Thank you. I will try those steps and let you know if it works. HOWEVER, part of the instructions say to open HP Printer Assistant and Calibrate Printer. I do not have this on the Deskjet 656c.

The closest thing to a print assistant is "HP Toolbox". I do not know what corresponds to calibrate printer in the Toolbox. You may say it is the "Align the Print Cartridges" option in Toolbox. If so, what do I do if I still cannot align the head (per my inital inquiry saying only 1 cartidge is installed when really there are 2) after first cleaning the electrical contacts as you suggest.

Please advise. Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation