Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a deskjet D2680 that will not print black ink. The ink cartridge is 75% full. I have gone through every step possible. I am not given a "clean printhead" option in my HP toolbox. I contacted HP Tech Support and they were absolutely no help, they just wanted to sell me a new printer.

I'm wondering if the cartridge that is currently in the printer is defective. Has anyone had this problem & replaced the black ink cartridge with success?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello bld24550, welcome to the forumsSmiley Happy

I read your post about the black ink cartridge not printing even though it is reading 75% full. My suggestion to you, would be to check the warranty on the ink cartridge. If the ink cartridge is within it's warranty, you can call HP and ask they troubleshoot the problem as the cartridge is in warranty.

Limited Warranty for HP Ink Cartridges and Customer-Replaceable Printheads

As for the issue you are having with cleaning the printhead, please let me know which operating system you are running on your computer. I will check to see if there is available software and drivers for this model of printer for the OS you are running.

Here is HP's contact info in the case you decide to call again: If you are calling within North America, the number is 1-800-474-6836 and for all other regions: click here.

Have a great daySmiley Happy

a i n b o w 7000

I work on behalf of HP

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.

My black ink cartridge is nearly full. I haven't used the printer in 2-3 months. I wonder if the inactivity might be contributing to the problem.

I am using Windows 7.

I called the Hp telephone number that you listed. The tech support person said that the problem is probably a broken sensor. He didn't suggest any solutions. He essentially said that the problem cannot be fixed, especially since the d2680 model is obsolete and no longer in production. Then he proceeded to try to sell me a new printer.

I don't want to go and buy a new printer unless I absolutely have to.

Can you give me more info about cleaning the printhead. I want to give that a try before shopping for a new printer.

HP Recommended

@pioneer-cable wrote:

I am having the same problem.

My black ink cartridge is nearly full. I haven't used the printer in 2-3 months. I wonder if the inactivity might be contributing to the problem.

I am using Windows 7.

I called the Hp telephone number that you listed. The tech support person said that the problem is probably a broken sensor. He didn't suggest any solutions. He essentially said that the problem cannot be fixed, especially since the d2680 model is obsolete and no longer in production. Then he proceeded to try to sell me a new printer.

I don't want to go and buy a new printer unless I absolutely have to.

Can you give me more info about cleaning the printhead. I want to give that a try before shopping for a new printer.

The document here shows in solution six how to run cleaning cycles for the printheads.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.