Question

Student
lvassar
Message 1 of 3 (133 Views)

Envy 4501 / Older Ink Cartridges / HP Business

Nearly 60 days ago, I purchased an HP Envy 4501 All-In-One printer. It has been fantastic! We recently ran out of ink, and decided to purchase ink from a third party seller, because frankly, HP doesn't completely fill their cartridges for no reason other than profit. Now, we've used third party cartridges for years and never had a problem. The last printer we had was nearly five years old before we voluntarily retired it. (Mind you, it wasn't an HP.) We retired it for the Envy.

I purchased the third party cartridges for about 30% the cost of HP cartridges that come with less ink. They are brand new, from a reputable third party cartridge dealer that we've used previously. I received them in the mail, installed them, only to see "These cartridges are for an older model printer." What!? I've done the research, and apparently a software upgrade at some point rendered third party cartridges useless. By that alone, we know that is has nothing to do with hardware compatibility.

HP, I joined this forum to simply tell you that I'm disgusted with your product and company as a whole. The Envy is being retired after only about two months for a competitors product. That said, I've owned HP computers and printers in the past, and while I've never had an issue with them, this alone was enough to push me away from your company. It may be small in your eyes, but you've lost a customer over it. I vow to never buy another HP product.

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 2 of 3 (67 Views)

Re: Envy 4501 / Older Ink Cartridges / HP Business

Hi Ivassar,

Sorry to hear of your problems. It is probably not a software issue, but the fact that HP has worked on improving the cartridges. Unfortunately, some refillers are using the older cartridges that only work with older printers  (you can tell by the warranty ends date) and that is probably causing the incompatibility.

You did not mention the cartridges you are using, so I'm guessing they might be the ones covered by this information:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03370748&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Intern
TechDawg
Message 3 of 3 (66 Views)

Re: Envy 4501 / Older Ink Cartridges / HP Business

Are you sure the 3rd party cartridges are not defective? 

The only cartridges that do not have a full ink supply are the set up cartridges, otherwise they are all filled to specifications.

I would try genuine HP cartridges just to be sure.  

Although I work for HP, my post's and replies are my own opinion. I am not an official HP spokesperson.

****Please click the Kudos Thumbs up if you would like to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation