Question

Student
frosztbyte
Message 1 of 2 (149 Views)

Error Message: "Printer Failure" Problem with print or ink system . . .

Greetings!

I wasn't exactly sure where to post this, but the error message refers to printer or ink system failure so I thought this was a good place. I've been troubleshooting my parents HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 AiO for the last 2 or 3 hours with little success. I've contacted HP tech support but they wanted $200 for the work to be done and neither I nor my parents, who are retired and on a fixed income, have the money to spare.

The tech support people said it was probably a problem with the drivers, so I attempted to reinstall the software, but that didn't help at all. A brief description of the problem might shed some light on this awful situation. Since this morning, my father tried to print something and the printer itself gave the following error message on the front LCD panel on the device itself (ie, not on Windows, but on the printer's display):

"Printer Failure

There is a problem with the printer or ink system. Turn it off, then on. If the problem persists, contact HP."

Obviously my first course of action was to follow the directions. I turned it off, unplugged the cord, waited approx. 30 seconds, replugged it in and turned it back on. Nothing changed. I've also tried removing and replacing the Ink cartridges, checking the tray for a paper jam or shortage and performing a rain dance in the hopes of attracting the gods' attention xP. In short, I'm at my wits end and don't know where to go from here.

I'm unable to access the device's LCD display control panel, which controls the printer, as the error message cannot be closed. I've tried restarting the PC as well, and a lot of other basic deductive troubleshooting procedures to no avail (forgive my overuse of cliches).

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. :smileyhappy: I wish you all a great day, and may the god of printing protect you from the same situation. I can assure you it's most unpleasant.

Regards, Sean (frosztbyte)

P.S. I'm not sure what other information might be needed in order to help me, but ask and you shall receive any I can find. :smileyhappy:

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 2 of 2 (121 Views)

Re: Error Message: "Printer Failure" Problem with print or ink system . . .

Hi frosztbyte,

I understand your parents have an OfficeJet Pro 8600 that is saying it has a printer failure, that you have thus far not been able to clear, despite your best effort and a rain dance (at least I know who to blame for the rain now :smileyhappy:). I would be happy to help you as best I can!

The first thing I'd suggest you do is plug the printer directly to a wall outlet if it isn't already plugged to one, just to ensure the printer is getting all the power it needs to function properly. If that doesn't seem to change anything though, please have a look through this A 'Printer Failure' Message That Might Include an '0x610000f6' or '0x61xxxxxx' Error Code Displays o... document (it was steps for the same error without an error code as well) and hopefully it can help resolve the issue.

If the issue persists after trying the wall outlet and that document I would advise you try call HP again. I believe the number you called previously may have not have been HP, but another company. If you're in North America just call 1-800-474-6836, and if you're anywhere else have a look at this Contact HP Worldwide page to see what number to call for your area.

Hope this helps, have a great day!!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation