Question

Top Student
jimgilmer1
Message 1 of 10 (3,848 Views)

Excessive Printhead Cleaning HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909a

Windows XP SP3

Today I printed 7 sets of 25 page documents.  At the completion of each set, the printer did the "Clean Printhead" function, with its related "do not turn off machine, checking printer, etc,".  I have noticed recently that it seems to do this function more and more frequently.  I ran a Self Diagnostic Page and it showed the status of both printheads as "Good".  I did install a new print cartridge in the middle of this printing session.

The frequency of this function seems excessive to me; uses a lot of ink, and interrupts the job continuously.  Can anything be done to reduce this frequency??

Teacher
KevinD2011
Message 2 of 10 (3,842 Views)

Re: Excessive Printhead Cleaning HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 A909a

[ Edited ]

From the description I have, this seems like a normal amount of servicing for the printer. This series of printers, cleans periodically to improve print quality and prevent clogs in the ink tubes. This servicing occurs after major changes to the ink system. Starting the printer, changing a cartridge or printhead, and sometimes larger jobs will cause the servicing to occur in between prints.

A couple of things you can do to minimize the amount of servicing that occurs are to make sure the alignment is successful and the linefeed is calibrated correctly.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 3 of 10 (3,840 Views)

Hello,

Perform the below steps ..

Press SETUP (wrench tool ) button.
then Press > to select Tools and press OK
then Press > to select Align Printer and press OK.

If the issue still re-occurs after performing the above steps, call HP Tech Support ( US ) 1-800-474-6836 for further assistance.

Regards,
Jabzi

Help the community by marking this post .
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Top Student
jimgilmer1
Message 4 of 10 (3,832 Views)

OK, I did the alignment and the linefeed calibration.  Then I ran a Self Diagnostic Print test.  Lots of horizontal white lines on the color patterns.  So I set into cleaning cartridges.  I went through the basic printhead clean, the intermediate clean, and twice on the advanced clean.  The more I cleaned, the worse the print tests looked with the horizontal white lines.  By the time I got to the last clean I did, there was more white horizontal lines than solid color.  There was ink available in black and all three colors.

I did the Self Diagnostic Test, and it showed the status of both printheads were GOOD.  But I'm wondering if I should change the printheads.

Teacher
KevinD2011
Message 5 of 10 (3,831 Views)

It's possible that replacing the printheads will resolve your issue.

Also, low ink quantities cause all sorts of print quality problems.

If any of the colors or black show low, I'd replace them before springing for new printheads.

If I have solved your issue, please feel free to provide kudos and make sure you mark this thread as solution provided!

Although I work for HP, my posts and replies are my own opinion and not those of HP.
Top Student
jimgilmer1
Message 6 of 10 (3,829 Views)

OK, the yellow shows low; others ok.  I'll replace the ink and follow up to see what happens and get back to you.  I always run the cartridge until the printer will not let me print until I replace the cartridge; I always ignore the "getting low and needs replacing" warning, as I don't won't to waste the ink that is left in the cartridge when this warning comes on.

Just checked the price of printheads.  $60 each!

Thanks

Teacher
KevinD2011
Message 7 of 10 (3,827 Views)

$60 each is the very reason I wanted you to replace the cartridges first.

Just remember after you replace your cartridges, be sure to run the alignment again to ensure good quality.

Student
TerryTibando
Message 8 of 10 (1,822 Views)

[ Edited ]

I too, find that my HP printer uses excessive amount of ink each time that the computer reboots or is in a standby mode/power down mode or if the printer starts up each time its turned off or if the cartridges are replaced (this aspect is acceptible) or if the or sometimes for no apparent reason at all.

I have used three full sets of colour and black ink cartridges WITHOUT even printing one page of text or colur graphics!!!

I use the XL 940 ink cartridges to try and print but there is no ink available when I want to print something and I'm wondering where the ink has gone to as there is no puddling under or i the printer. The ink capacity is suppose to print 2200 B&W or 1500 colour pages but at the rate of automatic self cleaning of the printheads the consumption rate must be extraordinary beyond reason and therefore, there is never any ink left to print anything. All I seem to be doing is keep replacing ink cartridges.

Quite frankly this is intolerable and in my estimation HP OWES me at least three full sets of colour and black inkcartridges!!!

I am seriously thinking of garbaging my printer and buying some other competitor printer like Canon or Epson.

Hp should not be following the Oil manufacturer's business model of high prices and high gas consumption with low performance for automobiles. I've already spent more than enough money on ink than the printer is worth several times over. This has got to stop!!!

[Content Removed]

I was a loyal HP consumer but now I'm fed up and boiling mad about this situation! The ball is in your court HP, do the right thing and give me some satisfaction on this matter!

Retired
OrnahP
Message 9 of 10 (1,787 Views)

TerryTibando wrote:

The ball is in your court HP, do the right thing and give me some satisfaction on this matter!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums. I'm sorry but this is a peer-to-peer community of HP customers, and not a venue to contact HP directly. Most of the users here are consumers like yourself who are offering solutions because they like to help others, and any HP employees you see are here on their own capacity and not representing the company.

If you have additional or direct feedback for HP about their products or services, or questions about repair, you can use the link below for contact information.

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

If you have other questions and concerns about using the forum, please feel free to send me a private message.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OrnahP
HP Support Forums Moderator

:smileyhappy: Clicking the "Kudos Star" to the left is a great way to say thanks!
:smileyhappy: When your problem has been solved, accept the solution by clicking "Accept as Solution" to help other members in the future!
Rules of Participation

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 10 of 10 (1,782 Views)

Hi Terry

So you're already using XL size cartridges. If you're printing text only do you select Fastdraft? When the printer is not in use, would you tend to power it down or leave it switched on?

FYI, there's some background info on ink usage in the link below...

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/articles/us/en/InkUseage.html

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation