Question

Top Student
Twolf7
Message 1 of 11 (966 Views)

Frusterating HP ink cartridge Rules!!!

[ Edited ]

I have an HP Officejet Pro 8500A Plus  All in one printer.   I have just recently installed all new ink cartridges- 6 or 8 weeks ago, and I do not do alot of printing.  I have it set to greyscale, and print in black only, and it still tells me right now to change my yellow cartridge before I can start printing in black?????   Does anyone out there know how to bipass this {Content Removed: Language Filter Evasion} nonsense?????      Oh.......  and by the way........    I NEVER  PRINT IN  COLOR!!!!!

Twolf-
Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 2 of 11 (941 Views)

Re: Frusterating HP ink cartridge Rules!!!

This is quite frustrating, but you have a printer model that must have all the cartridges working correctly to function properly. It uses a little colored ink even when printing black to keep the print nozzles clear and the ink delivery system from clogging with old ink. The printer might also use a little bit of color for certain shades of gray.

If the yellow cartridge is genuine HP, it should still be under warranty and can be replaced. For details go to:

http://h10060.www1.hp.com/pageyield/index.html

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 3 of 11 (924 Views)

[ Edited ]

The page here has information on how ink is used.  Your printer is an IIC printer in the terminology of that page.  If you never print color this is probably not the right printer for you, you may be much happier with a mono laserjet or an IPH printer that can print with an empty or missing color cartridge.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

chs Honor Student
Honor Student
chs
Message 4 of 11 (900 Views)

I am having the same problem with the Pro 8000 wireless.  I am ready to throw mine away!

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 5 of 11 (894 Views)

Please check out the replies above, particularly Bob's excellent advice to consider an IPH (two cartridge - black and tricolor) printer. Those models, particularly the ones that can print with only one cartridge in place, are much better for people who want to only print in black and white.

The model you have is designed to print using all colors, prints excellent photos, and with the right paper, can make prints that are water-resistant.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Honor Student
DrLarry
Message 6 of 11 (828 Views)

Telling us to buy another printer is not solving any problem.  I guarantee you that if that is the only advice we get, it will not be another HP printer!

Do you have an answer?  I print very little color (but I need some) and my expensive 8500 Premier won't print from the black cartridge when the printer thinks one of the color cartridges is out. 

It's very illogical and an obvious ploy to sell ink.  I don't mind buying ink when I need it, but the printer should not prevent me from printing.

Any suggestions?

I don't work for HP and my words are my own..........
Top Student
rdtwood
Message 7 of 11 (822 Views)

Or pick up an older model (like my 2600 and possibly the 3xxx series?) which has an override feature!  I didn't see any link above to click on, so I don't know what technology my 2600n is, but it's printed b&w perfectly often in the past whilst being bone dry on at least one other color.  Sometimes better.. ..isn't.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 8 of 11 (819 Views)

DrLarry wrote:

Telling us to buy another printer is not solving any problem.  I guarantee you that if that is the only advice we get, it will not be another HP printer!

Do you have an answer?  I print very little color (but I need some) and my expensive 8500 Premier won't print from the black cartridge when the printer thinks one of the color cartridges is out. 

It's very illogical and an obvious ploy to sell ink.  I don't mind buying ink when I need it, but the printer should not prevent me from printing.

Any suggestions?

The answer is that this printer requires ink in each color to prevent damaging the (relatively expensive) printheads.  This is not "an obvious ploy to sell ink" but a necessary requirement to prevent damage to the printing system.

There are lots of HP printer models that do not have permanant or semi-permanant printheads and do not have this requirement.  There are also many non-HP models with permamant or semi-permanent printheads that have the same requirements.  Changing to a different manufacturer will not necessarily resolve your issue.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Tutor
mfinger1960
Message 9 of 11 (549 Views)

NOTE:  not all 2 cartridge systems do not use color with black.  My 7110 (long ago failed) used significant amounts of magenta and cyan in  the black printing.  I could tell this by the amounts of ink needed to refill the tri-color tank in that printer.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 10 of 11 (545 Views)

Re: Frustrating HP ink cartridge Rules!!!

mfinger1960 wrote:

NOTE:  not all 2 cartridge systems do not use color with black.  My 7110 (long ago failed) used significant amounts of magenta and cyan in  the black printing.  I could tell this by the amounts of ink needed to refill the tri-color tank in that printer.

While the Officejet 7110 has a separate black and tri-color cartridge it does not have integrate printhead on the ink supplies.  The printheads are separate and subject to the same issues as other separate ink and printhead systems.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation