Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello MadPrinterMan,

What does the front panel of your printer say exactly? Are these brand new genuine cartridges? What size of ink cartridges are you using?

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Just opened my HP C8180 All-In-One and pulled out the battery for a minute and replaced. This reset the calendar and no more expired printer cartridge error notices. I realize that this voids the warranty but this is an old printer and this is better than throwing out all the printer cartridges.  I am also tired of throwing out good working printers because of updates to Macrosoft 7 or 8 and Mac OS 10.6.2.

Not as difficult as I thought it would be. Just had to remove 3 screws to open right side of printer behind the on/off button. The big problem is the wrench needed to remove screws. Do Not try to use phillips or regular screwdrivers - they will strip the screw. You need a small hex key.

Once cover is removed, you might be able to remove the battery without removing the motherboard but it not be easy to see how. I removed the motherboard and then the battery without too much work.

HP Recommended

The "solution" stated doesn't work.  Everytime i tried to print something on my L7780 in grayscale, it tells me that i need to change my yellow cartridge.  Neither my manual nor the computer support told you how to override.

Really dissapointed.

HP Recommended

I would love to hear from someone @ HP to explain why a Printer Cartridge ink "expires" and why it's not just a caution and attempts to force you to buy more ink.

HP - this isn't dissimilar from the Keurig DRM gaffe and I promise you your greed will come back to bite you.

Ink is the most expensive fluid by volume on the planet.   This is just price gouging and unfair practices.   At this point I'm likely going to complain to the FCC/FTC.    I pay way more money than I want to pay for simple printer ink and now you are telling me that ink I have has "expired" can I cannot use it?

This is utter garbage.   I will never buy another HP printer in my life and I'll make sure everyone one else I know does this same.

Enjoy the extra revenue at the cost of your good will.   Jerks!

HP Recommended

I am not @ HP but can give some information on ink expiration.  As ink ages it may become thicker and more viscous due to loss of water.  This may cause issues with printers that have separate ink supplies and printheads with "plumbing" to connect them.  As the ink ages it may clog the plumbing or the permanent printheads, requiring servicing of the printer to recover.

Very few printer models enforce ink expiration.  See the document here for details.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I too have the same problem but the support page indicates my Officejet Pro 7590 is able to override the error message and continue to print. I ran the diagnostics and reset the printer. The error came up on the screen and I acknowledged it. The message went away but the device would still not print. The cartridge was about 70% full but in order to validate my theory I reluctantly replaced the cartridge with a brand new unit. Low and behold the printer came back online and printed the pending jobs.

I recognise the need for HP to have a warranty process and the option for the consumer to work within the framework and I agree that HP cannot control the environmental factors which may (that's may) affect the longevity of the product but never the less it remains the consumers right to continue using the expired product. I use my MFD for home office use. Generally not a high volume of printing but never the less I refuse to be held financial hostage to HP's revenue generation program.

I am unsure if HP's support team actually read any of these posts or use this forum for customer feedback but i sincerely hope so. If there is no real world solution for this, that works and does not continue to require ongoing intervention, I too will no longer purchase or recommend the acquisition of HP devices to my clients. Not just printers but any HP device.

HP Recommended
Totally agree Kurt. Moving on from HP is in my near future. I won't support this business model.
HP Recommended

That is not true for the Officejet Pro L7590. When it has expired ink, it will allow you to print for a while, but then it will show itself offline in the network. This is VERY annoying and makes you want to throw away everything HP-related. IT IS MY PRINTER! I DO WITH IT WHATEVER I WANT, EVEN BREAKING IT! STAY OUT OF MY BUSINESS!!!

I just bought original expired ink and it printed very well, until the stupid HP "quality" control jumped in and dissallowed any further prints. My next printer will definitely NOT be an HP.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.