Question

Honor Student
nibor
Message 1 of 24 (17,941 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP 6500 709n printer won't print in black.

Cartridges have been replaced and printer heads cleaned twice.  still won't print in black. 

Top Student
Djrosen
Message 2 of 24 (17,927 Views)

Re: HP 6500 709n printer won't print in black.

Had the same problem with the same printer. I had to take out print cartridges and manually clean the print head tray. If you search online you will find step by step instructions on how to remove the print head assembly. I first tried cleaning it by soaking in very hot water for several minutes. This did not help, although others have said it worked for them. Next I used rubbing alcohol on the black print head screen. I also soaked the entire print head in a diluted mixture of CLR (calcium, lime, rust remover) and used a cue tip swap to gently clean the print heads.. I rinsed off the entire assembly very well in water and dryed it carefully. I used some compressed air from a can to blow out the print heads and help dry them. I reinstalled the assembly and print cartridges and the black ink was now working. I was disappointed that none of this information is actually detailed by HP for troubleshooting for this printer. Good luck. You may have to repeat the process several times like I did.
Honor Student
Old-Man-Lazuli
Message 3 of 24 (17,880 Views)

After reading all the Forum messages because I had the problem of no black printing, I decided to first attempt to let the HP software do its thing!  I opened HP Solution Center, clicked on Settings, selected Printer Tool Box and then went thru the "Clean the Printheads" routine, selecting the second cleaning offered in that process.

The test print sent after cleaning showed a perfect printout.  Just clogged pores I guess.  The HP routine does a very good job without me having to dismantle anything.

Thought you might try this?

Regards,

Don Evans

Tutor
8651buttercup
Message 4 of 24 (17,800 Views)

I have the same problem with the exact same printer.  Printer working perfectly on 02/11/12, black ink suddenly stopped printing on 02/12/12.  Performed all remedies suggested by HP.  As expected, none of them worked.  Today I posted an alternative solution that I found on two different tech support sites (also posted links).  Both recommended removing and cleaning the printhead; soaking the printhead for 5 minutes was one of the recommended cleaning methods.  

I agree that HP does not provide any detailed tech support  to its customers.  This is disappointing given the cost of its ink cartridges, alone.  Seriously, how can we fix our printers when loading paper into our printers is one of the main options offered by HP online tech support?  When we're finally fed up to the point of contacting HP tech support, I think most of us have moved beyond that solution.  It's pretty clear that HP does not facilitate do-it-yourself repairs.    

HP should reward customer loyalty by including tech support; after all, many of us who have purchased numerous HP products over the years expect more for our money and continued loyalty.    

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 5 of 24 (17,743 Views)

Hi 8651buttercup, the printhead soak has worked for some people here on the Forum. Check out Bob's post below for more detail....

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-printing-questions/Photosmart-Premium-c309a-Black-prints-out-gree...

Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Tutor
8651buttercup
Message 6 of 24 (17,726 Views)

Hi, and thanks so much for your reply.

I was very optimistic about the printhead soak solution, & I tried that solution twice before initially posting here.  This solution did not work for me (although I know it has worked for others).  

FYI - I also performed the following maintenance functions (to no avail) each time after soaking printhead: Performed several printhead cleanings; & aligned cartridges both from from printer & Solutions toolbox; replaced all ink cartridges; & power cycled printer and computer together and separately.  No luck.

Black ink still does not print anywhere - whether is be on a webpage or on a document.  

The problem first occured when I initially tried to print on 02/12/2012.  I had successfully printed numerous documents one day earlier, on 02/11/2012.  There was no hint of a impending malfunction at that time.  On 02/10/2012, I changed the preferences to grayscale & successfully printed one document in all black.  I changed the printer preferences back to color shortly thereafter (I often change the printer preferences to grayscale to print documents in all black, so I am very familiar with this is process).  Nothing unusual occurred at that time.

Still searching for a solution.  Refuse to buy new printhead as the cost benefit of doing so does not exceed that of purchasing a new printer (reliability, warranty, etc.).  Yet, I have unused HP920XL ink on hand & Officejet 6500 709n is not yet 3 years old.             

Honor Student
louloubelle
Message 7 of 24 (17,667 Views)

Hi,

we are having the same problem.  Black ink worked one day and then poof! no black.  I did everything that other posts said to try, changed the ink cartridge, twice, ran printers clean head mode, and also took printer head apart and soaked it.  I thought for sure that was going to fix it becuase so many black clumps came out in the water.

I flushed it until the water ran nearly clear.  No dice. I did what you said and ran it in shades od grey.  That worked but was too lite and difficult to see.

Did you find a solution?

Please help.

Honor Student
gheumann
Message 8 of 24 (17,499 Views)

Wow. Had one of these at our shop and one at home. The one at the shop failed with this problem and we were desperate - replaced the printer. Now the one at home has it. I use this printer every day - how can it suddenly have a dirty print head? Tried the double cleaning via printer utility. Nothing. Guess I'll try the soak & compressed air thing. 

Honor Student
gheumann
Message 9 of 24 (17,496 Views)

Soaked it in alcohol. Blew it out with compressed air. It was FULL of gunk. Put it back in the printer - first it said "no print head present" - took it back out and cleaned the contacts. Next it said "ink system failure - turn the printer off and on". Then it appeared to initialize - but won't print black. Tried cleaning the print heads again. No luck. Fed up. Guess I can buy a new print head from HP, although I think I will just switch brands - this is obviously a design flaw. Never had this problem with Epson's and I've owned a lot of them. Are you listening HP???
Tutor
8651buttercup
Message 10 of 24 (17,484 Views)

Or, do a PARTIAL RESET.  I did everything mentioned here - TWICE!  Nothing worked until I did the partial reset. Had to also do it twice, but machine worked perfectly after that.  My HP 6500 e709n is 3 years old this month.  

Note that you must have your printer ON when you unplug it.  Scroll down at link, follow instructions for partial reset.  GOOD LUCK!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/Help-HP-Officejet-6500-Won-t-print-Black-text/...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation