Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@barlow1216 wrote:

I have a photosmart b209a.  The black ink stopped working so I replaced the cartridge with a brand new one.  It will not print in black. I have cleaned the printheads and the print carriage.  Any other suggestions?

See the page here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Worked like a charm!!!  I almost bought a new printer today!   Thank you soooooo much!!  Stay in touch!  Still won't buy any HP's any time soon.

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Apparently, printhead needs to be thoroughly dried before re-inserting it into the printer. I'm getting a "system failure" type of message after inserting the printhead after I thought it was dry. Removing it again revealed water on the contact points. I'm trying to get it operational again. I believe the remedy you prescribe works, but not getting the printhead thoroughly dry un-works.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Bob! I had to soak and rinse the printhead from my Photosmart b209a FOUR times before it would work. I also used a Q-tip to gently, in one direction only, clean the contacts on the back of the printhead and in the printer. After using up at least half of all four ink cartridges over the past two days trying to get it to print black, it finally worked. I was about ready to order a new printhead.... Maybe I still should, for $33,  since it appears to come with four new ink cartridges that I'll be needing anyway....

HP Recommended

I'd be delighted if some wonderful person would make some suggestions about what to do other than buy a new printer.

OfficeJet6500 E709n

Windows XP (SP3) and OS X 10.6.8

Printer stopped printing black ink.  Ran the clean cartridge process. Improved things for a short while.  Then stopped working again.  Tried the clean print head thing in this thread, (twice) to no avail.  Bought new printhead from HP.  Still doesn't work.  Firstly got a "ink system failure" with the new printhead, but taking out ink cartridges and replacing them sorted that.

So, neither print head prints black ink

Have replaced all ink with new ink

Still, no black printing

Checked vent on ink cartridge

Still no black printing

Have cleaned gold contacts on printer and on new printhead

Still no black printing

Have tested from Word in Windows, Word in OSX, and also by trying simply to copy on the printer and to produce printer reports.  Every time colour works perfectly, and black does not.

I am satisfied that this is not software, since the copy facility won't do black either.

I have tried turning the whole thing off, without power, for 30s as recommended by HP website, and on again. Still no black ink.

Time to get a new printer, or has anyone any better idea?

Thanks

Adrian

HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart Premium C309g and removed the printhead and soaked for 5 minutes as described then ran 3 cleaning cycles to no avail.  Everything else seems fine I can't understand what the problem is...out of desperation I went & bought a brand new magenta ink cartridge from Staples but still the red will not print properly.  Do you have any further suggestions for this problem?  I'm a bit frustrated at this point.

HP Recommended
Had the exact problems with the same Model # and the Black XL. Cleaning my print head, per the instructions on this site, absolutely did the trick. It really worked!!!

P.S. I actually soaked my print head several times and rinsed it then patted it dry.
HP Recommended
YOU SO SOLVED MY PROBLEM!! Have a 6500, black XL ink stopped printing. Cleaned and dried everything you advised and it worked!!! Thank you so much! I was ready to buy another printer. I am absolutely thrilled.
HP Recommended
Recommended solution did not work. After three cycles of cleaning, only the color printed. Allignment cycle printed a sheet without black and reported "allignment failed." Ran allignment again and same thing happened. Message required shut down to avoid damage.

Would it help to remove printhead again and soak it in hot water?
HP Recommended

Bob, do you have any bright ideas about the 920 series printers as in the problem I outlined above? Essentially tried new print head to no avail, different cartridges, both XL and non XL for the black, and still it will not print in black. (Yes, I have cleaned the contacts where the print head connects) A friend says his business has had lots of trouble with the 6500 series printers, with them randomly not printing some colours / black.  The only bright spot was after putting in a different head and the 920 black, It printed - lightly - half a page of black and then went back to the earlier non-black behaviour.

Any advice appreciated.  Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.