Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@katrinzeta wrote:

Hi Bob...

I've got HP officejet pro L7500 series and I'm using win 7.

I've tried your water trick and just about everything else. Still cannot print in black. Any suggestions except of getting new printer? [snip]

The printhead soak suggested in this thread does not apply to the L7500 series which has a separate black/yellow and cyan/magenta printhead.

I would suggest the troubleshooting steps in this page.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

It printed about two lines in black and then stopped.  There is a black streak about an inch wide from top to bottom on every sheet since the cleaning.  Any other ideas?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hey Bob!

I found this post after i had posted my issue and the suggestions here have helped me in the past, but i have something completely different that i need some help on. Please check out my post Here and leave me some feedback.

HP Recommended

Hi Bob,

I have an HP Officejet 6500 connected with an ethernet cable.  I have a Vista and Win7 64 bit computers.  I had a problem in October where the black ink would not print and found this thread and it worked wonderfully (I had to run the printhead cleaner program twice through the solution center).

Three months ago I replaced the Magenta 920 and Black 920XL ink cartridges and everything worked and those cartridges are quite full.

I tried to print an important document two days ago and the printer would not print any black ink.  It printed a very light grey which was not legible and now it doesn't print any black at all.

Yesterday, I soaked the printhead in very hot water three separate times for 5 minutes each, followed by having the printer clean the printhead.  (The third time, following a tip I found here,  I put empty cartridges back with only the black full - to save ink.  After the cleaning the page displaying the results had no black whatsoever but did have boxes showing the colors sparingly.)  I also ran a diagnostic test page from the HP Tool Box which showed everything but black.

I also tried to print from the web and changed the properties to print black only trying to force it, but got nothing.  I tried to make a copy with the printer and also got nothing.

I have been drying the electrical contacts with a coffee filter and on my third try I used a Q-tip to clean what seems to be a screen at the bottom of the printhead assembly that the black ink would come out of.  I also used the dampened coffee filter to clean the electrical contacts  inside the printer.  Here is a page I found to try to figure out what the parts are http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01661383&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

Is there anything else I can try - or should I keep doing the soak?  I noticed when I did the third soak not too much ink came into the water.  Due to confusing, the first time I did the soak I used 1/2 inch water and the following two times I used 1 1/2 inches of water.

Do you have any advice for me?  Thank you.

HP Recommended

I have an Officejet 6500A Plus with an iMac running Mac OS X 10.6. I've tried soaking the print head, this didn't work. I've tried partial reset through the support screen on the panel and hard reset unplugging the printer and neither has worked. I reinstalled all the software, ran update and reinstalled drivers, this also didn't help. The print head is new and so are the ink cartridges. The other colors print perfectly, but the black doesn't at all. I print from the computer, web, and tried to copy, but none print black. I don't know what else to do. If anyone who has run into the same problem has a solution please help. Otherwise I'm gonna throw this thing out the window.

HP Recommended

I have tried everythiing recommended except for changing the Printerhead, nothing worked. Printer doesn't print blank ink and it doesn't print on Word and it doesn't copy or scan either

Any more help please?

Thank you!

HP Recommended

receiving info and going through the motions of printing, but blank page. New hp920 black cartridge, all others ok. have cleaned heads?

HP Recommended

@wallyspub wrote:

receiving info and going through the motions of printing, but blank page. New hp920 black cartridge, all others ok. have cleaned heads?

The post here may help.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I wish I had gotten this message sooner.  After reading, I feel tlhis would have solved my situation with my 309 printer.  Oh well the 6500 is working very well.  I also bought a new 8600 and I love it. I dont use it for photo.

HP Recommended

I have good news and bad news. Before attempting to soak the printhead again I decided to try printing. I used "selection" and printed a couple of lines from a web page. It printed! Then I noticed that although it printed, the first line of text came out as a horizontal smudge - the rest was legible. I also printed a screenshot I had previously taken and that came out fine.(The border was a solid color, as it should be - I don't know if that matters regarding it not smudging.) It seems that letting the printer rest a week or so helped, because it wouldn't print after my three soaks and cleanings. I appreciate your fix.

Basically, my problem is that the HP 6500 now prints but is skipping the first line of text, which comes out as a smudge or only the bottom half of the letters appear for the first line. 

How can I fix this?  Thank you.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.