Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a 4 year old HP6000 which is on it's 2nd printer head (3 years old). The black ink is not working.  It worked fine last week.  Once before it did not print black and was able to resolve with the diagnostic.  This time, it did not work.  I tried soaking mulitple times (6 times).  I tried spraying air through the black ink screen.  I can see a very fade gray on the paper when I print.  Any other suggestions?  Should I trip alchohol and not distilled water?  Some kind of paint thinner?  I hate the idea of throwing away a printer because of the print head.

HP Recommended

I followed the instructions i found for cleaning the print head and it still wouldnt work.  I tried the compressed air thru the screened place. still no black.  all the maneuvers caused my colored ink to empty and it sent me for new cartridges, the machine wouldnt do anything but tell me it needed to restart, then it just went into it's same useless routine.  i finally gave up the ghost and ordered a machine this morning so i can finish this job.  so i am now out, 1/2 left in my black cartridge, pretty much all of the second back cartridge (that the machine told me i needed), and last night i bought the color and black xl pack for 60 bucks.  and the new machine doesnt use 920.  and they wont reimburse me or take back the inks because they are 'opened'.  {Legal Content Removed}

i have many hp products here in my office, and never before had trouble like this - it was always something fixable but not this time. 

i even tried uninstalling the program and reinstalling it, which was a real pain because the oem discs were for xp and now i have win7 but finally found the drivers since it wouldnt take my xp disc. 

i think one of those updates junked the whole works up for me last week and just thought i would let you know.  if it aint broke, dont update the hp printer even if it insists!!!  dont allow automatic updates.  guess hp wants to drum up some easy money or something.   i did purchase a three year full warranty for 19.00 from them, so i guess i wont be back here bothering anyone for three years!  good luck to you all. 

remember:  dont update - something went horribly wrong after i allowed it to! 

HP Recommended

@CTAngela wrote:

I have a 4 year old HP6000 which is on it's 2nd printer head (3 years old). The black ink is not working.  It worked fine last week.  Once before it did not print black and was able to resolve with the diagnostic.  This time, it did not work.  I tried soaking mulitple times (6 times).  I tried spraying air through the black ink screen.  I can see a very fade gray on the paper when I print.  Any other suggestions?  Should I trip alchohol and not distilled water?  Some kind of paint thinner?  I hate the idea of throwing away a printer because of the print head.

Forcing air into the printhead is NOT a good idea, it will cause problems.  Alcohol or paint thinner can also cause issues.

If the printer is printing at all, even light then I would suggest checking the cartridge ink levels and check the vents are clear as shown here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
thanks. I tired this also after another expert on here suggested the forced air.
HP Recommended
Ink levels are not the issue. Opened a new cartridge and still not printung
HP Recommended

Thank you so much! Soaking the printhead solved my problem. Wish I had looked you up before discarding perfectly good ink cartridges.

HP Recommended

Photosmart Premium C310a

New ink cartridges.

Uninstalled and reinstalled printer and have run diagnostics which say all is OK. Will print some current documents in grey but will only kick out blank sheets when trying to print from Microsoft word.

HP Recommended

My HP Officejet 6500 Wireless machine is about 3 yrs old.  Today, it was time to change my black ink cartridge, so I put in a brand new 920XL.  Now, it doesn't print black.  I've tried all the ideas listed in these pages.  I've soaked the printhead (did not put the contacts in the water), I've wiped everything down with a soft cloth.  I've checked the vent on top.  I've made sure each cartridge is still out-putting ink by lightly touching a cloth to the opening.  I've done a soft reset with the power button, a different reset combo of unplugging the power from the machine/waiting for 20 secs/plugging back in while holding # 3, and a final reset combo of unplugging the power cord from the machine and from the wall, waiting for 30 secs and replugging in.  All it will give me for an error now is 'alignment failure'.  I've cleaned the cartridges multiple times through 'tools' (options 1 and 2),  I've aligned the printer many times thruugh 'tools'. 

[I've even done the shaking of the cartridge since that poster bothered to say it in at least 5 different posts, knowing full-well that this would not help me, but hey, I am trying to be very thorough!]

I think I have done even more than the above but my mind is so frustrated right now that I cannot recall them all.  Gee, after working on this problem for about 7 hours now, I think I am entitled to feel a bit crazy.

Is there anything else to try?  If not, please tell me the printhead part number I need to order, and point me to a website.  But if that new printhead does not solve the problem, I will be having a conniption fit loud enough for all the neighbors to hear! :womanmad:

HP Recommended

This is the reply I got and this is the one I bought when mine failed:

The part no. is CN643A. You can purchase it at the HP Part Store

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01643079

Link to HP Part Store

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwhowtobuy.html

My printer is now working again.

HP Recommended

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@nworking wrote:

I have a photosmart premium C309g-m and it just stopped printing black.  Tried cleaning and still nothing.  Tried 2 new cartridges, nothing.  Any ideas?  Thanks.

The following has worked for some folks:  get a pan and put 1/2" of very hot (not boiling) water in the bottom.  Next remove all the ink cartridges, then remove the printhead assembly.  Gently put the printhead nozzles down in the water and let it soak for five minutes.  Remove the printhead and gently dry the electrical contacts.  Put the printhead back in the printer and then reinstall the ink cartridges.  If this does not resolve the issue then you will likely need a replacement printhead.

Hello, 

I have an HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Printer -B210a, and the black ink just stopped printing (It printed everything except black), so I replaced the black ink cartridge, and tried again, nothing. Then I tried everything on the 

HP Photosmart Plus e-All-in-One Printer - B210a Troubleshooting page And still nothing. Then I tried soaking the print head in warm water for five minutes as you have posted several times, and now my printer will not work anymore. Now I get an error code (0XC190013) every time I try to print anything. I ran the "clean printheads" function on the printer several times now, and it still will not print anything, it just shows the error message every time. Please tell me how to fix this.

Thanks

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.