Question
HP 6500 Office jet E709a - Black printer cartridge HP 920 not working
Replies (469)

Honor Student
JConger
Message 151 of 470 (2,501 Views)

Re: black ink not working

I have a Photosmart C6180 and my yellow (02) ran out and not one of the three new ones I tried works. Also it will not print in black either.  What can I do??

Honor Student
ktjones
Message 152 of 470 (2,464 Views)

I have a C309g that is having issues printing black also.  When I print, every second or third line will not print.  For example, if I print the "printer status report:", you will see item #1, #2, and #3 will not show.  The entire line will be blank.  That carries all the way through the document. 

I have already done the following:

1.  Cleaned the cartridges - probably 5 times.

2.  Replaced the 564XL cartridge with a new one.  (With the previous cartridge the issue was much worse.  The new cartridge does the every thrid line.)

3.  Inspected the cartridges for vent issues.

Thoughts?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 153 of 470 (2,462 Views)

ktjones wrote:

I have a C309g that is having issues printing black also.  When I print, every second or third line will not print.  For example, if I print the "printer status report:", you will see item #1, #2, and #3 will not show.  The entire line will be blank.  That carries all the way through the document. 

I have already done the following:

1.  Cleaned the cartridges - probably 5 times.

2.  Replaced the 564XL cartridge with a new one.  (With the previous cartridge the issue was much worse.  The new cartridge does the every thrid line.)

3.  Inspected the cartridges for vent issues.

Thoughts?

This would typically be caused by an electrical issue with the printhead.  I would suggest removing the printhead and cleaning the gold contacts on the printer and the printhead.  Instructions for removing the printhead can be found in Step 2, items 1-5 of this link.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
ktjones
Message 154 of 470 (2,454 Views)

Looks like that did the trick.  Thanks for the help!

Student
Xiabhan
Message 155 of 470 (2,441 Views)

I tried everything else suggested on this forum...I was leery, but desperate enough to try soaking it as you suggested it..... Entirely brilliant!!!!   After doing a first and second level cleaning it is back to working again....  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Top Student
nellyb
Message 156 of 470 (2,426 Views)

Soaking & cleaning resolved the problem of  black ink not working. (HP6500)  ALOT of ink came out during soaking and then during printhead cleaning...  brand new cartridges went from full to nearly empty.   Now when I'm printing anything other than text, i.e. a jpg, even if set up for b/w printing, the image prints in green.  Have brand new black cartridge so it's not low.  Any thoughts?

Student
RemiDs
Message 157 of 470 (2,413 Views)

Officejet Pro L7680About every 2 cm, lines are not printed in black, but colour printing is ok. Two new printer heads and 4 new ink cartridges have already been installed. The programmes 'cleaning of printer heads' and 'calibrating lines' have been run repeatedly, all without success. Can anybody help? Thanks.

Student
redbug119
Message 158 of 470 (2,364 Views)

The soaking solution appears to have worked for my C6380 which would not print black.  i was ready to buy a new printer, but I now see black!!  Thank you!

Student
l2izwan
Message 159 of 470 (2,301 Views)

Re: HP 6500 Office jet E709a - Black printer cartridge HP 920 not working

Thank you Bob. You are a gentleman and a scholar. I've registered just to give you my thanks and kudos. For everyone else: I have a 6500 e709n and it would eject blank pages (would not print black). I soaked it twice in hot water and dried it thoroughly and viola! It works like new. 

Cheers!

Honor Student
Susan1
Message 160 of 470 (2,289 Views)

Thank you so much.  This last fix finally did it.  I had to do a couple of cleanings and secondary cleaning.  All of my new photo ink cartridges are now empty but the black is finally working so I will gladly buy more.  Much cheaper than taking it in to be fixed.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation