Question
HP 6500 Office jet E709a - Black printer cartridge HP 920 not working
Replies (469)

Honor Student
novicegeek
Message 281 of 470 (1,225 Views)

Re: black ink not working

Soaking the print head solved the problem. Thank you, Bob. Is there a way to remove and clean the pad under the parked cartridges? It is totally saturated with ink. Even so, the printer is working beautifully now.
Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 282 of 470 (1,214 Views)

novicegeek wrote:
Soaking the print head solved the problem. Thank you, Bob. Is there a way to remove and clean the pad under the parked cartridges? It is totally saturated with ink. Even so, the printer is working beautifully now.

It is normal for ink to be in the service station area, it is designed to manage this ink properly.  It is not necessary or desirable to clean this area, you would likely do more damage than good.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
novicegeek
Message 283 of 470 (1,202 Views)

Thank you. It is good to have this forum available to get help.
Honor Student
brandogf1
Message 284 of 470 (1,082 Views)

Hey it worked.  I had to eventually soak the printerhead and use up most of the ink in the cartridges through the cleaning process. But that is fine so long as I am able to print in color and not having to replace the  printer head.  Thanks everyone!!

Honor Student
KRA3
Message 285 of 470 (1,059 Views)

The printhead  in my printer is not removable.  It is a photosmart 5510 B111

Honor Student
hsmbam
Message 286 of 470 (982 Views)

Re: HP 6500 Office jet E709a - Black printer cartridge HP 920 not working

[ Edited ]

Weird - All computers - Laptop w/Windows 7, Desktop w/Windows XP and MAC Pro Laptop all using HP 6500 e709a Wireless Printer. Four days ago, after 1 1/2 yrs of use, the PC's do not print black ink. The Mac Pro still works fine. Nothing I print from the PC desktop or laptop prints black ink. I uninstalled and reinstalled printer and drivers on PC's. Downloaded updated driver from HP official web site. Still no black ink for PC computers. Their appears to be no networking problem as all computers print, just the PC's do not print the black ink.omputers Because the Mac Pro computer does print all colors I do not believe it is a cartridge problem, but I changed the cartridge with a new one anyway and the black ink still would not work on the PC's.  Also restored the PC computers to a date ten days previous and no successful PC printing in black.

Help, all suggestions appreciated?????????

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 287 of 470 (975 Views)

hsmbam wrote:

Weird - All computers - Laptop w/Windows 7, Desktop w/Windows XP and MAC Pro Laptop all using HP 6500 e709a Wireless Printer. Four days ago, after 1 1/2 yrs of use, the PC's do not print black ink. The Mac Pro still works fine. Nothing I print from the PC desktop or laptop prints black ink. I uninstalled and reinstalled printer and drivers on PC's. Downloaded updated driver from HP official web site. Still no black ink for PC computers.  [snip]

OK, that is a strange one.  My bet would be that the Mac is sending data in a way that makes the printer use color to print rather than using black.  I would suggest printing a diagnostic test as shown in Solution Six here. I would bet that black does not print, the rest of the steps in that document may help resolve the issue.  If not see the post here.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

Honor Student
KRA3
Message 288 of 470 (973 Views)

I did not try to print for about 5 days after I had contacted the forum,  I was going to contact HP to find out my next option and decided to try printing one more time and the black ink printed.  I did nothing to the printer.  ???

Honor Student
hsmbam
Message 289 of 470 (944 Views)

Thanks, but the additional problem is that all colors including the black ink print fine from the Mac Pro.  Just not any of the PC's. 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 290 of 470 (936 Views)

hsmbam wrote:

Thanks, but the additional problem is that all colors including the black ink print fine from the Mac Pro.  Just not any of the PC's. 

I saw that on your previous post that I responded to.  My guess is the following:

• The printer's black ink is not working.
  • The Mac driver is sending data in a way that causes color ink to be used to print black areas, making it appear that black is working.

A way to check this would be to print the diagnostic page as I described before, this uses the printer's internal firmware to print the diagnostic page.  You could also try making a black copy from the front panel, if my theory is correct it would be blank or nearly blank.  Please try this and post the result, then we can go fronm there.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation