Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi pattit

The part no. is CN643A. You can purchase it at the HP Part Store

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01643079

Link to HP Part Store

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwhowtobuy.html

Hope this helps

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

re: HP Officejet 6500 Model E709n.  Black ink wouldn't copy or print.  I checked the vents (OK).  I replaced the HP #920XL black ink cartridge with a HP #920 black ink. No change.  Next,  I tried Bob_Headrick's procedure for rinsing the print head with hot water.  Did it twice.  On the second try, I poured the hot water through a funnel directed at the intake screen for the black ink.  After second time, printer will print black text as dark gray and will print color ink when receiving a document from my laptop but, when copying from the glass, black text only barely shows if I select "START COPY/Color".  If I select "START COPY/Black", the page comes out completely blank (empty).  Scanning is still OK.  I am considering a third...fourth attempt with the hot water.  Any ideas.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

@progers1947 wrote:

Ignore the bit about 5 minutes, just keep soaking the print head in hot (60 degrees C) water, replacing the water every half hour or so until there's no trace of any ink in the water.  Then dry off the printhead as much as possible, give it a good shake wrapped in a cloth.  If that doesn't work, soak it again.  It will eventually clear

Well, we tried it for two days. My husband even brough home some ethanol from work that they had used on the same printer there, and there must have been a serious clog somewhere, because it never fixed it. He said with their printers, they were able to get the water or ethanol to run through, but with mine, it just sat on top.

So, we gave up, and I have a new print head on order and new ink cartridges. I like the printer a lot, except for this bit of course.

Thanks for your suggestion!!

HP Recommended

@Ciara_B wrote:

Hi pattit

The part no. is CN643A. You can purchase it at the HP Part Store

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01643079

Link to HP Part Store

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwhowtobuy.html

Hope this helps

Ciara

Thanks - I ordered one this weekend when we could not clear the clog. It still makes no sense to me the different numbers. Plus, the shipping and handling is really outrageous - $11 for a part that weighs a few ounces? Seriously?

But, thanks anyway for the info!

HP Recommended

@joonone wrote:

re: HP Officejet 6500 Model E709n.  Black ink wouldn't copy or print.  I checked the vents (OK).  I replaced the HP #920XL black ink cartridge with a HP #920 black ink. No change.  Next,  I tried Bob_Headrick's procedure for rinsing the print head with hot water.  Did it twice.  On the second try, I poured the hot water through a funnel directed at the intake screen for the black ink.  After second time, printer will print black text as dark gray and will print color ink when receiving a document from my laptop but, when copying from the glass, black text only barely shows if I select "START COPY/Color".  If I select "START COPY/Black", the page comes out completely blank (empty).  Scanning is still OK.  I am considering a third...fourth attempt with the hot water.  Any ideas.  Thanks.

Did you try the soaking again? After days of doing that, I gave up and have ordered a new print head. I had basically the same situation. Black would not print. The colors printed fine.

HP Recommended

Thanks, progers1947, for the suggestion to keep rinsing with the hot water until it is clear of all ink.  I already did a third rinse, again using a funnel to direct a quart of just-below-boiling water to the inlet screen of the black ink, and got it working.  But, with your suggestion, I think I will do it again until the water comes out clear.

HP Recommended

To all with the HP ink problems:

This was the second HP Printer that I purchased that had ink problems.  I followed all the suggestions to clean the ink heads(hours at the kitchen sink rinsing and rinsing the print heads) with ink all over the sink and me, to the end result it still had ink problems. Maybe everyone else has the time and patience to do this routine on a regular basis, but when I invested in a printer I expeced it to work for a reasonable amount of time.  I finally gave up and bought an Epson, and so far I am very happy with it.

HP Recommended

To RFA and others with HP Ink Problems,

I have had my HP Officejet 6500 Model E709n since June 2009 with heavy use from then until April 2010 and intermittent use until now, March 2013. This is the first time I have had to clean the print head.  This printer/copier/scanner has worked well in all functions, EXCEPT it is not very efficient with use of ink and HP ink is expensive.  My other workhorse printer/copier/scanner, CANON PIXMA MX700, is inferior to the HP in scanning functionality, equal in copying and printing, but WAY better in efficient use of ink.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much that worked  and I had tried everything 🙂 🙂

HP Recommended

I hope you can help me!!!  I have read a zillion pages of posts on this subject here but to post my question hp made me sign in and now i am not sure where i read it. 

Anyway, I have tried every solution possible.  The print head was really gunked up and i followed the directions to clean it, hair dryer, let it sit out for a day, etc, etc.  restarted it with the # and 3, ran align, ran clean print heads, ran every stinkin option avaible, cleaned the vents, (the vent on the new one is not shaped like a T btw, and have run the options from the unit and the hp solution center. 

the black still work work.  i have pretty much exhausted what i had of my color inks, the old black cartridge i had which was 1/3 full when this nightmare stared, it keeps telling me is bogus.  the new black cartridge i bought and tried wont work either, and now it is telling me this is a used cartridge and it is full! 

this is a total nightmare.  anyone have any ideas for me short of running this thing over with my car?  thanks so much.   This used to be a fine machine until three days ago.... and i am in the middle of a book that needs to be printed on this unit.  darn.  any guidance greatly appreciated. thanks. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.