Question

Honor Student
dnutt
Message 1 of 10 (239 Views)

HP 6500A Carriage Jam

My all in one printer is a HP 6500A -  E710N

I get a message that there is a paper jam.  I followed all the steps in your video  on how to clear paper jams.  I have no paper jam and I cannot get my carriage to move.  It is all the way to the right and will not move, even trying to use force.  This looks like a general problem with hp printers.  How do I get my carraige to move?

Thanks, Dan

Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 2 of 10 (235 Views)

Re: HP 6500A Carriage Jam

Hello, 

Could you check for presence of paper near the carriage / cartridge path.? If found clear it then try moving the carriage .

Make sure the printer is ON while you try moving the carriage manually.

If the carriage does not move, then please call HP Tech Support for further assistance as the printer requires a SERVICE.

If you are from USA and the printer is Out Of Warranty, you might be offered a trade-in option for a upgraded printer.

If you are in US , the toll free # is 1-800-474-6836 .

If you are not in US , then log on to www.hp.com , at bottom-left corner there is a world map icon, click on it and then select the region you belong to, which would then provide support options for you for that region.

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Honor Student
dnutt
Message 3 of 10 (200 Views)

Thanks

There are no paper jams.  I could not check for paper jams under the ink cartridges because I could because the carriage is stuck all the way to the right of the printer.

I removed the cover that covers the ink cartridges, removed the ink cartridges following your video and there were no paper jams underneath.  After further inspection, I noticed that the mechaism on the bottome right had fallen of and that there was also a black gear laying on the bottom of the printer.

Please advise!

Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 4 of 10 (196 Views)

Hello, 

I just had to say "WOW" for the clean description of your observations.

All i can say is that the printer has to be serviced.

If you are from USA and the printer is OOW, then you have an option to Trade-in this printer for an Upgrade printer.

Please call HP Tech Support for further assistance.

If you are not in US , then log on to www.hp.com , at bottom-left corner there is a world map icon, click on it and then select the region you belong to, which would then provide support options for you for that region.

Regards,
Jabzi

Honor Student
dnutt
Message 5 of 10 (177 Views)

Thanks for your reply. 

I think that HP should do something more than sell you a replacement printer for a fix to the carriage jam issue.  My printer was manufactured in 2010 and is still like new.  We have done minimal printing with it.

I went through some of the  blogs having the same issues that have not been resolved.  Below are a list of HP printers with the same issues where the carriage is jammed and won't move.  The carriage is locked all the way to the right, and the display reads that there is a paper jam.

2575, 2710, 3050A, C309, 4500, 4620, 4580, C4150, 5610, 5280, 5520, J5740, 6210, 6480, 6520, 7400, 7500A, 8600 and my printer, a 6500A.   (Total of 19 printers)

I did explain how I disassembled part of my printer and I found a small black plastic gear and another mechanism laying on the bottom of my printer.  I called HP and they told me my printer was out of warranty.  However, warranty is not an issue here as it is a well-known HP manufacturing defect.

From reading the other blogs who have not got their problem resolved, HP's answer was to buy a reconditioned model to replace it.   I would dare to say that HP has an issue going with the mechansim that I found broken and should be replacing or fixing these printers for free in a timely manner.

I am requesting that HP stand behind their product and make this right by either repairing my printer or by sending me another printer. 

Your prompt action will be appreciated.

Dan

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 6 of 10 (163 Views)

Thanks for the detailed feedback Dan. Could you perhaps share a photo of the small black plastic gear and post it here to the Forum?

Many thanks, Ciara

Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
got2ride123
Message 7 of 10 (154 Views)

I also have the same issue.  Carriage jam error.  I have attached a picture of the part that loose.IMG_0015.JPG

Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 8 of 10 (148 Views)

Hello, 

Kindly call HP Tech Support for further assistance as its a hardware issue.

Printer need to be serviced.

Regards,
Jabzi

Honor Student
got2ride123
Message 9 of 10 (142 Views)

Just spoke to HP Support and the best they can do is offer a discount price on a new printer.  My printer is out of warranty.  Poor customer service.

Honor Student
dnutt
Message 10 of 10 (130 Views)

I also contatacted HP.  They also wanted me to purchase a recondition model, or a new one.  When you purchase a printer, you don't expect pieces of the printer to fall off.  With the support that Hp has to offer, my next printer will not be a HP.

HP has it pretty good.  They have you send your printer back, they sell you a recondition model.  Then they fix yours, send it to someone else as a reconditioned printer and get their broken printer back and the cycle begins all over again.  What a business model.

My printer is 3 years old and it is like brand new.  I have done very little printing with it.  I am so dissapointed with HP!!!!!!!!!

Dan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation