Question

Honor Student
jonnB
Message 1 of 50 (20,699 Views)

HP 6500A Plus print head always needs replaced

We have purchased HP printers for our small office for many years. Recently we purchased 5 new HP 6500A Plus printers for each work station, unfortunatley these are the worst printers we have EVER purchaesd.  Our light office has used even more basic models of HP printers at work stations for years.  Within a few months of light every day use, the print heads need replaced.  Noone but HP sells them and for the price it is mnot worth replacing print head.  DO YOU have the availability for us to buy several print heads at a reasonable price so we have  them when these things go bad?  About to replace all 5 HP's with any other brand.  I've been real HP fan for years, I'm so disappointed. 

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 2 of 50 (20,651 Views)

Re: HP 6500A Plus print head always needs replaced

Very sorry to hear of your problems, but it is unclear to me why the printheads need replacement. Cleaning did not work to fix whatever problem you had?

If it has only been a few months, the printheads should still be under warranty and you can get HP to send you replacement kits if the printheads are the problem.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Student
seachess
Message 3 of 50 (20,534 Views)

I have the same problem with my 6500A Black printhead. I ran the clean in setup and replaced an almost full Black ink cartridge.

Honor Student
HPheavyuser
Message 4 of 50 (20,207 Views)

Ditto here.  Same problems.  If it makes you feel any better I bought over 50 of these 6500A Plus machines.  Installed it at customer sites, now we have an additional 50 HP user haters.  The other thing I notice is it shows adequate ink level but you need to replace the cartridge when it's low or you get streaks and fades.  It may not be the printhead (I cleaned it) but an over achieving ink level sensor. Try that first before you toss it out.

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 5 of 50 (20,141 Views)

You're right, if the issue goes away with a new cartridge, it is not the printhead that is the problem. (Although it never hurts to try cleaning the printhead more than once, if the nozzles do seem to be clogged.)

If you're getting streaks or lines, the first thing to do is go through the steps to improve the print quality:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02455482&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&ju...

If replacing the cartridge is necessary, please remember that HP cartridges also have a warranty:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00206040&tmp_task=setupCategory&cc=ca&dlc=en&la...

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Honor Student
ayyonci
Message 6 of 50 (19,312 Views)

Just bought hp 6500a plus and the printhead is not working only after a few days terrible printer is not possibile that this can happen to an hp product  and the best of everything is hard to find and is almost more expensive than the printer itself

Honor Student
ayyonci
Message 7 of 50 (19,312 Views)

[ Edited ]

where i can fint printhead for hp6500a plus?? please write [Personal Information Removed]

Grad Student
MaryChris
Message 8 of 50 (19,296 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi ayyonci,

Sorry that you're having problems. If you just bought the printer, it should be under warranty and you can return it. Also, printheads have warranties, so they can be replaced if the warranty has not run out.

Barring a defective unit, there are also things that help keep the printheads from clogging, one of the most important is never turning the printer off with anything but the power button on the printer.

If it is turned off with a switch, or by turning off a power strip the printer cannot do the capping routine it does during a normal shutdown. When the power button is pressed the printer does not shut off immediately, it "parks" the printer carriage in a position which protects the cartridges and printhead from having the ink drying in the printhead nozzles and the ink delivery system.

Best of luck,
Mary

{I work on HP's behalf}
Top Student
mdc0920
Message 9 of 50 (19,171 Views)

I really don't care what the person who "represent HP" is saying here. The fact of the matter is this. I own several HP6500A Plus printers and the print heads on them wear out faster than any printer I have ever owned. I am 59 years old...and have a tone of printers. And yes, I understand the proper mode of shutting down a printer...and understand the need to clean the heads on a regular basis and all of that stuff. With that said...the print head  on this printer is the worst I have ever seen.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 10 of 50 (19,162 Views)

jonnB wrote:

We have purchased HP printers for our small office for many years. Recently we purchased 5 new HP 6500A Plus printers for each work station, unfortunatley these are the worst printers we have EVER purchaesd.  Our light office has used even more basic models of HP printers at work stations for years.  Within a few months of light every day use, the print heads need replaced.  Noone but HP sells them and for the price it is mnot worth replacing print head.  DO YOU have the availability for us to buy several print heads at a reasonable price so we have  them when these things go bad?  About to replace all 5 HP's with any other brand.  I've been real HP fan for years, I'm so disappointed. 

Hi jonnB, I know this post was made last year - just wondering if it's now resolved?

Thanks, Ciara

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation