Question

Top Student
meyerca1212
Message 1 of 10 (663 Views)

HP 6510 e-all-in-one - Countless Print Issues

I have an HP 6510 series e-all-in-one that I have had countless issues with.  When I first purchased the printer I realized that it was not going to work wirelessly as advertised but I needed a printer so I hooked it up to my wireless router that supports USB plug ins.

Months after that I decided I was going to use it for photo printing - which it is made for.  When I printed, the photos came out in shades of blue - nothing else.  After that I replaced the three cartridges and it still showed the same issues.  I planned to take it to the nearest service center but simply have not been able to get there.  

NOW I am trying to print a simple black and white document, but it refuses to just do it in black, grey and white.  It prints all of the text in black, but with lines of green and peach everywhere.  I have gone through all of the steps that the troubleshooting has suggested but instead of solving the problem, it now prints solid areas of green rather than just lines of green and peach.

This is supposed to be a photo printer, but I have yet to get one good photo out of it, and now I can't even get a decent black and white photo!!  And it never worked wirelessly AT ALL like it was advertised!! Even after talking to support for hours and putting well over 50 hours combined worth of troubleshooting into it in the past year.  I used to love HP, but this one has been nothing but trouble and now I'm clinging on to my last hope here - please tell me someone has a solution!?  

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 10 (645 Views)

Re: HP 6510 e-all-in-one - Countless Print Issues

Sounds like you are having issues with printing form your 6510 series printer. Now first thing I noticed was your  connection type, i.e. that you are using USB to the router. This is not a supported connection method, the supported methods are either wireless, USB to the computer or Ethernet to the router. I would suggest that you try one of those three methods and see if the result is the same: 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=5058336

Let me know how that goes and I will get right back with you! 

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here! 

-Spencer 

Top Student
meyerca1212
Message 3 of 10 (642 Views)

The wireless doesn't work on it - never has. Did every troubleshoot I could and talked to customer service multiple times. This started happening while I was using the direct connection. I never had problems when I connected via USB to my router... Actually that was the only time it worked outside of direct connection until the router stopped working all together. Everything is up to date with downloads as well.
Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 10 (632 Views)

From testing this out, the printer is set up as a shared device on your network. Effectively, connecting the printer to the router using a USB connection shows the printer as if it were being shared from another computer. 

When you say that the wireless does not work, what do you mean? Can you connect the printer to the network? Is the printer recognized by the computer/software? I would like you to elaborate a little more on that. 

Additionally, when you said "direct connection" do you mean Ethernet to the router or USB to the computer? 

Let me know how that goes and I will get right back with you! 

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here! 

-Spencer
Top Student
meyerca1212
Message 5 of 10 (618 Views)

When I say the wireless doesn't work, I mean the router has stopped working - its not stable at least.  The wireless internet I receive from it will cut in and out every few minutes, as well as anything else that I have tried to run through it via USB that has worked previously.

The printer has never connected to the network wirelessly, and I have never been able to figure out why through various troubleshooting techniques and phone calls.  That is why I used to have to plugged into the router (via USB) since I bought it - it worked fine that way, and I didn't have to plug it into my computer directly every time I wanted to print.  The printer is recognized by the computer when it is plugged into the router via USB, but it will not function/execute tasks.  The printer is also recignized when I have it plugged into my computer directly via USB and will print, but it won't print properly at all.  

Here is a sample of what I am talking about with how it is printing - the photo on the left is the image I tried to print for this example, and one on the right is a photo I took with my phone of how it printed out - with a brand new black ink cartridge. sample.jpg

I would have scanned it in, but now it isn't detecting a scanner (plugged directly into my computer via USB). Not really a big surprise with how well this thing works though...

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 10 (610 Views)

Alright, first I am going to recommend that we try to uninstall and reinstall the printer on the computer using the USB connection. 

First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it (this is important). Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer. 

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it. 

Download this file, and if optional use the Full-feature software. 

Install that and let me know the result! Also, what is the performance of the machine when you make a copy? 

Have a great day!

Top Student
meyerca1212
Message 7 of 10 (585 Views)

So sorry for the delayed response - in the middle of a very long moving process.

Uninstalled the printer from my computer (I am working with a Mac so I just did the uninstall, which looked to take out everything related to it).  

After reinstalling, it still prints with green or peach.

When I make a copy, it copies anything that is in black and white just fine. When I copied my last print that had green in it, it only copied the black parts of the document (text). 

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 8 of 10 (582 Views)

What version of OS X are you using with this printer?

Is it installed by USB or on the network?

Answer those questions for me and I will see what I can do for you.

Thanks,

Kyle

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Top Student
meyerca1212
Message 9 of 10 (578 Views)

I am running V10.8.3 - this last install was done via USB.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 10 of 10 (571 Views)

Try these steps to uninstall the software using the HP scrubber and then reinstall the full feature driver. 

To do so, perform the following steps:

1. Go to Applications/Hewlett Packard/ and then click on “HP Uninstaller”
2. Next click “Continue”
3. Highlight the device on the left pane.
4. Press and hold Control+Alt+Cmd on the keyboard simultaneously while you click on “Uninstall”.
5. After you do this, you will see a pop up that asks you if you want to uninstall all HP software. Please note, that in doing this, it will remove any other HP printers that you also have installed. 
6. Click “continue” and wait for the program to finish.
7. After it completes, reboot your computer. 

Once the computer is back on, do the following steps:

1. Go into “System Preferences” and then select “Print & Fax” or “Print & Scan”.
2. Right click (or control+click) in the rectangle listing your printers and then select “Reset Printing System”. This is going to delete all of your printers.

After you have reset the printing system, go to the following link and download the most recent version of software for your operating system.

Once it has downloaded, install the software and see if it works now! If it doesn’t, just let me know and I will see what else I can do to try and help resolve this issue for you.

Best of luck,

Kyle
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation