Question

Honor Student
2Frustrated
Message 1 of 4 (1,681 Views)

HP Deskjet 1055 won't print in black when color ink runs out

I'm trying to print a document that's mostly black and white, with a few URLs in blue (which do not really need to be copied, or could be copied in black and white).

I'm out of Tricolor ink, but it seems like I should be able to print in black, since I do still have black ink.

But apparently it is not possible to print in black when the Tricolor ink runs out. Yet it is still possible to print in color.

A few pages in, my printer started just printing the blue links from the page before last, and won't print in black. while this printer does tear through ink, I just put that black cartridge in, and the printer is not even claiming that the black ink cartridge is low. It just has the exclamation point for the color ink.

Also, separately (may or may not be related), sometimes when I'm printing I'm given the option of printing in black and white, but apparently the feature does not work. If the document is in color the preview of it is in black and white, but the printer just goes right on and prints the document using the more expensive Tricolor ink.

(This is not the case with at this time or with the document above, because that option did not come up and I can't even find it. It seems that the choice of black or white or color comes up with some types of documents and not others, though it never actually prints something in black and white when there is color in the document.)

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 2 of 4 (1,655 Views)

Re: HP Deskjet 1055 won't print in black when color ink runs out

I would look at this document here for assistance with the blinking lights on the printer. It will lay out different scenarios for how the lights are blinking and will give one the causes and the solutions to try in an attempt to fix that issue with the printer. 

To try and save ink, one can adjust the print settiings to change items like the draft quality and switch to grayscale. Page 9 of the user manual shows the pathway that one can take to adjust print settings when one is printing documents.  I hope that this helps. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
Honor Student
2Frustrated
Message 3 of 4 (1,647 Views)

That guide says that the Tri-color ink goes on the left and the black ink goes on the right, which is how I have it.

It also says that the left light means that the tri-color ink is running low, and that the right light means that the black ink is running low.

That doesn't explain why the left (low tri-color) light is on and it won't print in black, but only in color.

I can't get that user manual link you posted to load anything, but will try it again later. But in the past when I set it to print in black and white it printed in color anyway, so I have my doubts.

Distinguished Professor
Shirlzz1
Message 4 of 4 (1,641 Views)

I am sorry that the link is not working that I embedded in the text in the Prior post. At the end of this post I will give the link in its original format for you to try.  Here is the link to the user guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02227094.pdf. I hope that this is more helpful to you than the other one I gave earlier in the conversation. Also, single cartridge print mode is covered in the manual on page 31 if you wanted further reading on that topic since you mentioned in your first post. 

I am a former employee of HP...
How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation