Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I bought genuine HP ink cartidges to replace the ones I was quickly using up. The black one worked fine but when I later put the tri color one in the message "tri color cartridge problem" came up and when I tried to print it stated that it was "damaged or had failed". I've tried re-inserting it and cleaning the copper part carefully without touching where the ink comes out. I don't really know what else to try, if it's just a faulty cartridge is there a way I can get a refund or free replacement because it was quite expensive? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi dsavz,

I hope you were able to print properly after replacing the cartridge.

Usually they would be exchanged for another cartridge if in warranty.

You can try taking it back to the store to see if they will exchange it for you.

Since it was out of date when purchased.  I would give it a try.

Have a nice day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hi dsavz,

Welcome to the HP Forums, I hope you enjoy your experience!

I understand after replacing the color cartridge you are getting a error message that it is "damaged or had failed". I will be happy to help you.

I have provided a document to follow the steps to see if we can resolve this issue.

'Incompatible Print Cartridge' or 'Print Cartridge Problem' Message Displays on the Computer.

If you are still having issues I would recommend to contact HP Tech Support to inquire about a replacement in warranty accessory for the color cartridge. Make sure it is Geniune HP cartridge and still in warranty. Provide the document number c02244928 which we followed for troubleshooting. Contact HP Worldwide.

Hope this resolves your issue.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

Have a great day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for replying. I tried all of the steps in that link and it still said there was a problem. I think ink was already leaking from the cartidge because it had blue, pink and yellow stripes on the ink dispensing part even when I had been careful not to touch it. I looked on the back of my box and the date there says June 2013 so I'm guessing I won't be able to get a refund which is a bit annoying so I just got a new one. Anyways, thanks for replying, have a nice day, please let me know if I would be able to get a refund but I'm not holding out hope.

HP Recommended

Hi dsavz,

I hope you were able to print properly after replacing the cartridge.

Usually they would be exchanged for another cartridge if in warranty.

You can try taking it back to the store to see if they will exchange it for you.

Since it was out of date when purchased.  I would give it a try.

Have a nice day!

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I used up the black cartridge and replaced it and when I went to print, sends message -- tri color cartridge problem.  I know the color cartridge was not empty since I rarely use color to print.  I read the instructions and it said to remove it and clean it with a cloth or Qtip, did both, reinstalled -- same message.  Went back out to purchase new cartridge (had to purchase two since Walmart did not sell them in single packages, $50).  Installed new cartridge, same message.  Reread all the trouble shooting steps, found exact message on this forum about same problem with a very flimsy, unhelpful solution (now I am out the price of two black and two color cartridges (walmart cannot take them back once they are open and since they were packaged as two, wont take the single unopened cartridges back either).  I could have purchased a new printer for the cost of the cartridges, now I have to purchase a new printer anyway and it certainly wont be this one!!!

HP Recommended

Hi @sallyz ,

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Having the same problem with the tri color error message. I've cleaned the cartridge with water and a swab and the message went away.....but returned after printing a few pages. Now if I open and close the cartridge door a couple of times the message goes away but the print speed is extremely slow. I know the cartridge is 3/4 full. Is this a problem with the cartridge or the printer?

HP Recommended

Hi @delman,

I see that you are having issues with the tri colored cartridge. I would like to help you.

Make sure the printer is connected directly to a wall outlet. (don't use a power hub or a surge protector) This ensures the printer is receiving full power and may help this situation.

If the error keeps returning, I would suspect that it is a issue with the cartridge. Please call our technical support at 800-474-6836 and inquire about a replacement cartridge, if it is a Genuine HP cartridge and showing in warranty. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region.
http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-phone-assist.html

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the Thumbs up button below.

Have a nice day!
Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply Gemini02. The cord is plugged directly into a wall outlet. For the past 8-10 pages the "Tricolor error" has not come up but the printer prints at a snails pace......the last black & white page took 55 sec. Any ideas why so long?  

HP Recommended

I got rid of this printer in Oct.  I was unable to get any help and needed to have a working printer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.