Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

HP Deskjet F4280

I bought BRAND NEW ink cartridges because both of mine were empty. The black ink works fine. The color ink causes the printer to display blinking orange low ink levels and an E where the number of prints goes.

BRAND. NEW. INK. These were not refills. And the thing is, I can see the color ink on the copper bits on the bottom. There is ink in there. I have cleaned it. I can't do a force clean on the printer because it won't do anything when the printer ink reads E. I have manually reset the printer fourteen times and to no avail.

I can't return the ink because I stupidly didn't ask for a receipt. (silly me, thinking a BRAND NEW PRODUCT WOULDN'T WORK) And I really don't want to buy more new ink because yay unemployment.

When I insert the old cartridge in, the printer reverts to  normal, and shows that the level is low but not low enough that the E shows. (even though if I printed anything, no color would come out because it's empty)

I don't know what to do. The internet says all sorts of fixes for refilled cartidges, not brand new ones.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello akhull,

Please look at this document for how to reseat and then clean the cartridges manually. The reason you would want to do that is to make sure that build up is not preventing the cartridge from being read by the machine correctly. I know the document is for an error message that you do not have; but it gives step by step directions to reseat and clean cartridges. 

Please let me know if this helps.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I tried all of those first. Nothing worked.

It's the dumbest thing, but I took the plastic covering the copper off backwards (grabbed the plastic covering the ink applicator and pulled off that way instead of the other way around) Is it possible that it did something? Because I seriously have no idea what else could be wrong. It has to be something wrong with the sensory pieces, I can see the ink gathering on the applicator.

HP Recommended

It's hard for me to envision what you are saying, but here is a page that shows how to change the cartridges.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

I have done all of that. Several times.

HP Recommended

Does it help if I show you a picture of what it's doing:

tumblr_moe6lvZvn01qj05tco1_500.jpg

The orange ink level light is blinking. And there's an E where the number of pieces to print normally is.

HP Recommended

@akhull wrote:

I tried all of those first. Nothing worked.

It's the dumbest thing, but I took the plastic covering the copper off backwards (grabbed the plastic covering the ink applicator and pulled off that way instead of the other way around) Is it possible that it did something? Because I seriously have no idea what else could be wrong. It has to be something wrong with the sensory pieces, I can see the ink gathering on the applicator.

So do you reckon you removed the electrical flex from the cartridge?

Cartridge Contacts.jpg

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I tried all of this and both of mine are blinking and the E is showing. When I put old, empty cartridges in, it works. But since they are empty, it doesnt print. I just bought this about an hour ago and DID NOT touch the metal part. How do I exchange it or get my money back? Im so upset that they are not working.

HP Recommended

You'll need to contact HP Support.....

Phone no.s

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/wwcontact_us.html

Can you please post back and let us know how you get on?

Thanks

Ciara

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

I got the same problem but it was a black ink cartridge. It was bought in Calgary, Canada and bought back to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I cannot refund the cartridge for it cost me thousands of dollars to travel back to Calgary, Canada. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.