HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-one Black print failing (538 Views)
Honor Student
Wiet
Message 1 of 8 (538 Views)

HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-one Black print failing

HP ENVY 4500 eallinone : align paper was ok : colours & black but once installed on my mac only colours and grey, no black print ! Who can help me out ?  Is this typical problem with hp printers and Mac ??

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 2 of 8 (502 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 4500 e-All-in-one Black print failing

Hi Wiet,

Welcome to the HP forums!

I understand you have an Envy 4500 being used with a Mac that only seems to be printing grey and colors from the Mac despite it printing black on the alignment page. I will absolutely do my best to assist you with this.

Just to make sure the hardware hasn't failed in anyway, can you please print a Printer Status Report with the instructions below (taken from this Paper Jam document)?

1. On the printer control panel, press the Down Arrow ( ) to select Tools , and then press OK .
  2. Press the Down Arrow ( ) to select Printer Status Report , and then press OK . The printer prints the test page.

Does that page come out with black still? If it does then it is most likely a communication or software issue. However, if the black doesn't print from the hardware either we will have to try a few other things.

Hope to hear back from you soon!!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, as it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Wiet
Message 3 of 8 (490 Views)

Hi  MisTeriLynn

Thanks for your feedback.  Printer status report is printing black.

I also connected the envy 4500 with my old laptop (windows) and there I

don't havy problem : coloues and balck are printing out as they should be !

So I really think it is a software problem connection issue with the Mac....

Checking the HP Forum it seems a lot of HP printers are facing this problem ??

(despite the cd indicates Mac installations as well) ??

So probably it must be somewhere a small stupid "installation" thing that`needs

to be re-defined  so the black cartridge gets a signal to print as well ??

Kindest regards

Wiet - Belgium

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 4 of 8 (487 Views)

Hi Wiet,

Thanks for the reply!

I'm curious at this point if we set the printer to Black Ink Only what will happen. Please follow the screen shot below to select this setting in one of your programs and let me know the results! Just open a program/file and then click File and Print and follow the screen shot.

GrayscaleMac.jpg

Let me know how this goes for you!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, as it will help others find the solution.

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Wiet
Message 5 of 8 (462 Views)

H Miss Teril Lynn

Thanks for the feedback but this one I already tried.

The black cartridge is just not responding when the printer is

connected with my Mac computer !

So when I instruct only "black & white" I get an empty paper .....

Greets and thanks for your follow up of my question

Wiet

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 6 of 8 (428 Views)

Hi Wiet,

Thank you for trying that for me! I suspected that might be the result we would get, but was hoping for something a little different. That's okay though, I have a few other things I'd like you to try when you have a chance :smileyhappy:

Since we haven't tried this yet, I'd like you to fully Uninstall the Printer Software, reset your printing system (don't re-add the printer just yet), run your Apple updates, run a verify/repair of your disk permissions and then proceed to reinstall the printer software. When installing, make sure during the portion where you add the printer to the queue that you are telling it to print using the HP Envy 4500 driver not AirPrint (as shown in the screen shot below with the Photosmart 5510).

5520DudeNOAIRPRINT.jpg

If that still doesn't work, I'd like you to then try uninstalling the printer software (again), create a new user account on your Mac and try installing again, making sure to not use the AirPrint driver.

Let me know how this goes for you :smileyhappy:

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Student
MIA68
Message 7 of 8 (291 Views)

The same is happening to me on my pc. I have tried everything, even selecting the black-ink only item, but it still does not work. I bough the printer today and need it urgently and now it is only printing in colour, as if there was no black ink cartridge installed.

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 8 of 8 (253 Views)

Hi MIA68,

Welcome to the HP forums!

I'm sorry to hear that you've been having issues with your Envy 4500 as well, but I'd be happy to help you as well :smileyhappy:

What version of Mac or Windows are you working with?
Is the printer connected USB or wireless?
What happens when you print a test page from the printer?
Are you also able to copy that test page?

Have you tried the steps in this Printer Does Not Print Black Ink or Color Ink, or Prints Blank Pages document as well? If not, please try them :smileyhappy:

Please let me know this information and I will do my best to help!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation