Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Is it possible to print with the color cartridge only if the black cartridge is low or out? I have the HP Envy 4500 e All in One.. What can I do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may use the color ink only by removing the low black cartridge.

You may find the steps below from its user guide as a reference:

Use single-cartridge mode
Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP ENVY 4500 series with only one ink cartridge. The
single-cartridge mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the ink cartridge carriage.
     NOTE: When the HP ENVY 4500 series operates in single-cartridge mode, a message is displayed 
on the printer display.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi,

You may use the color ink only by removing the low black cartridge.

You may find the steps below from its user guide as a reference:

Use single-cartridge mode
Use the single-cartridge mode to operate the HP ENVY 4500 series with only one ink cartridge. The
single-cartridge mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the ink cartridge carriage.
     NOTE: When the HP ENVY 4500 series operates in single-cartridge mode, a message is displayed 
on the printer display.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended
Thank you sooooo much! It worked!
HP Recommended
Just wondering if this can be done the OTHER way, without a color cartridge.
HP Recommended

Hi Iyeru

I understand you want to know if you can print with just the black cartridge.

I will be happy to assist you with this.

I have provided the Manual for the printer. On page 47 it provides the information for being able to use one ink cartridge. According to the Manual you can print with just the black or the color cartridge.

If you need more assistance just let me know.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Click the Thumbs Up below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Do I have to remove an ink cartridge to ensure black-only printing? Isn't there a way to make black-only the default?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @AzureGiesler,

I read your post and see that you want to know if you have to remove a cartridge to print in single mode or can you set the printer black only as a default for the printer. I would like to help you.

You will need to have all the cartridges installed in the printer, then set the print driver to print in black.

You can change the default settings in the print driver. From Devices and Printers, right click the printer, left click Printer Properties, select Paper/Quality, Click the Advanced button and then change the setting to grayscale.

The single-cartridge mode is initiated when an ink cartridge is removed from the ink cartridge carriage.
Install both the black and tri-color cartridges in the HP ENVY 4500 series to exit single-cartridge
mode.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have tried your last point of placing two cartridges in and the printer will then print from both but mine still only prints from the Black cartridge.

HP Recommended

HI ,

I see that you are unable to print in color. I would like to be able to help you today.

Try these steps to see if it will resolve the issue.

Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP ENVY 4500 and Deskjet In...

This document provides steps for cleaning the contacts. Please disregard the title.

A 'Cartridge Missing' or 'Incompatible Ink Cartridges' Error Message Displays for HP ENVY 4500 and H...

Here are steps for resetting the printer. Disregard the title.

HP Inkjet Printers - 'Ox...' or 'C2...' Error Code Displays When Printing.

If the issue continues, please Contact HP Support for further assistance. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number for quicker assistance.

If you appreciate my efforts, please click the 'Thumbs up' button below. Thank You.

Gemini02

I work on behalf of HP

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.