Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 5530
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Envy 5530 seems to have issues printing text. It cuts off some parts of some lines (like the bottom quarter or half of a line) and sometimes doesn't print out the line at all. I think it may be a printhead issue, but I can't be sure. This is only an issue for the black ink; the color one works fine. I've tried replacing the ink cartridge to no avail, and also tried cleaning both the copper contacts as well as the bottom of the ink cartridge (as directed by some of the other posts on this forum), but the problem is not fixed. An sample of what happens when I print out a "Print Quality Diagnostic Report" looks like this [http://imgur.com/qEmuOYX]; a "Printer Status Report" looks like this [http://imgur.com/lkZjJy6]; and a printout resulting after a "Clean Printout" run on the printer looks like this [http://imgur.com/95KebjY]. I scanned these image using the same printer via the Windows Fax and Scan program on my computer; it also seems that the scan function on the printer itself works (When I use the printer's touchscreen to scan, it tells me that it can't find my computer even though it's connected via USB). However, this is merely an inconvenience; my main problem is the incomplete and missing lines on my printouts. Does anybody have any ideas of what I else I can try to fix this problem?

I am currently using a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop running Windows 10, but I've had this problem before I switched laptops from my Toshiba Satellite running Windows 8.1, so I doubt that it is a software/operating system issue.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Afternoon @MdUbZ,

I may be able to point you in the right direction for resolving the print quality issue you are describing.

Are you using Genuine HP ink cartridges? HP recommends that you use genuine HP ink cartridges. HP cannot guarantee the quality or reliability of non-HP ink cartridges or refilled HP ink cartridges. If you do not use genuine HP ink cartridges, the steps in this post might not resolve the issue you experiencing. You could also see how non-HP supplies compare to refilled or remanufactured cartridges from the Buyers Lab Report.

I would also suggest reviewing the Limited Warranty for HP Ink Cartridges and Customer-Replaceable Printheads for HP Inkjet Supplies.

I would try the steps in these documents to see if they resolve the print quality issue;

If the issue continues, I would Contact HP Support for further assistance. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number. You can view all other ways of contacting HP from their list of Support Options.

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue - it helps others find the solution later.

Don't forget to come back and click the Thumbs Up on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. However, I have seen both of those posts in my search for a solution to my problem, tried out the solutions that applied (such as the "Clean Printhead" option, as I mentioned in my original post), but none of them seem to work. I have also replaced the black ink cartridge twice in the hopes that it would fix the problem, but nothing changed. And yes, they were Genuine HP cartridges. I have had this problem since towards the beginning of this year, but have left the printer idle for the past few months as well (I left it in storage for the summer while I was away from college).

HP Recommended

Glad to hear back from you @MdUbZ,

The only other thing that I could suggest would be to Get Printer Updates for HP Photosmart 5520.

If the issue continues, I would Contact HP Support for further assistance. Fill in the model number and the form to receive a case number. You can view all other ways of contacting HP from their list of Support Options.

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue - it helps others find the solution later.

Don't forget to come back and click the Thumbs Up on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Hi, Did you resolve this issue?  I have the same thing and its driving me crazy!  Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello, @SamJB1

Thanks for reaching out! I'd like to help 🙂

To assist you better with this issue, I would like to know the following details:

1. What is the printer model number? (Is it envy 5530 or something else?)

2. What is the operating system on your PC?

Also, I need to know whether the printer can make a "Photocopy" or not.

Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi There

Thanks for coming back to me.

The printer we have is an HP Envy 5530 and I am using it with a MacBook Air & iphone. 

If i do a copy it is slightly better but it is still missing chunks out cutting off the tops/bottoms of lines of texts.

There is also a little red cross on the screen of the printer which i assume means there is something wrong but i can't work out what or how to fix.  There is plenty of black ink and the coloured ink is now starting to become low despite barely using it. 

On that note i'd like to be able to just use black ink unless i need to print in colour to preserve the ink but can't see how to do that either?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello, @SamJB1

Thanks for the update!

Since the copy quality also is coming out bad, it looks like an issue with the printer hardware. I would suggest you perform a hard reset on the printer first. Follow the steps below:

·         With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer and also unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

·         Remove USB cable, if present.

·         Wait for 2-3 minutes, press and hold the power button on your printer for about 30 seconds to remove any additional charge.

·         Now plug back the power cable straight to a wall outlet without any surge protector or an extension cord (This is important) and then plug back the power cord to the printer.

·         Turn on the printer and wait till warm-up period finishes and the printer is idle.

Now, I would like you to clean the print head as suggested below:

1. On the printer control panel, touch the Settings icon .

2. Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Printhead. The printer cleans the printhead, and then prints a test page.

3. Check the print quality of the test page.

• If the print quality is good, touch Done.

• If the print quality is not good, touch Clean Again. The printer cleans the ink cartridges again, and then prints another test page.

Now, try making another copy and check the quality. If the quality is still poor, go to http://hp.care/2gAbpUe and follow the troubleshooting steps from "Step 8" onwards.

That should do the trick. Let me know how that goes 🙂

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
I wiped the printer head and that seems to have solved the problem.
HP Recommended
I can't see how to accept solution but thank you for your help
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.