Question

Top Student
HPCurtis
Message 1 of 8 (242 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP K5400 - Networked.

Prints Color just fine,  No Black.  Printing beautifully yesterday but today no Black.  Printed is no abused.  Perhaps a color print every week or two at best.  Black cartridge is one week old and indicators show as near full.    Three (3) PC's share this printed and it works fine in Color but again, no black is coming out.  Tried to clean the printheads via the buttons on the front of the printer but still, no Black.  Again, Test Page Print Commands from all three (3) PC's produce a color printout but again, no Black.

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 2 of 8 (232 Views)

Re: HP K5400 - Networked.

If the printer is not being able to produce the color black, then this is a print quality issue.  HP has a document to help troubleshoot these print quality issues and I will link it below.

Troubleshooting Print Quality Issues

Let me know how it goes.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
HPCurtis
Message 3 of 8 (228 Views)

Jason:

Thanks for the update and link.  I'll give it a try tomorrow morning.  Will let you know how it goes.

One thing, we replaced my hard drive yesterday prior to the Printer No Black issue manifesting itself  (went to a larger size) and prior to doing so, my Tech made a mirror image of the "C" Drive and thne we restored it onto the new drive.  I had a few other issues yesterday after bringing everything up which in and of itself went exceptionally well all things considered but some settings in other programs didn't carry over.

Don't know if this is related but thought I should pass it on.

Curtis

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 4 of 8 (227 Views)

Let me know how it goes on the troubleshooting.  

Also, one thing to try is printing a Self Test Page from the printer.  This can help determine if the issue is coming from the printer itself or possibly from software changes in the HDD swap.

To print a self test page:

* Hold the Power Button and press the "X" or cancel button 4 times.  Does this printout also miss black ink?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
HPCurtis
Message 5 of 8 (215 Views)

Jason:

The self print (hold Power down, depress "X" four times, let go of the Power button) produced nothing - not even color.

When I went to the Control Panel > Printers > HP5400> Printer Properties > Print Test Page, all that came out is the little Windows (red, green, blue, yellow) Icon in the upper left hand corner of the page and virtually nothing else on the page.

Terribly frustrating.  Printing just fine on Sunday and the next day, no Black.

I am however most appreciative of your suggestions and help - keep em coming.

Curtis

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 6 of 8 (211 Views)

Did you complete the steps in the document listed above?  If the printer has plenty of ink and the troubleshooting did not get the black ink to flow, then it sounds like an issue in the ink system of the printer.  The unit may have an issue in the printheads, but may also be internal in the electronics of the unit.

The unit didn't produce any ink in the self-test printout?  This would be a strong indicator of the unit having an issue internally in the ink system, either printed circuit board level or printhead level.

I am not an HP employee.
Top Student
HPCurtis
Message 7 of 8 (187 Views)

Jason:

Did all the tests - nothing worked.  Took it into the shop and it was determined the 2009 printheads of which there are two (2) in the 5400 needed to be replaced.  Simply wore out over time.  Got it fixed and it is now working fine.  Thanks for all you help.

Curtis'

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 8 of 8 (181 Views)

Hey HPCurtis,

Glad to hear that you got the issue resolved.  From the troubleshooting it was indicating the ink system had a problem.  It turned out to be the printheads and these are replaceable parts.  I hope you the best in all your future printing needs.

Happy Printing

I am not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation