02-08-2013 05:37 PM
I have a LaserJet M1132 MFP bought last week. Connection is USB, operating system is Windows 8 - 64bit. Have upgraded to latest firmware. Driver is latest Windows 8 driver. Settings are default (fastres 600).
When using the initial toner cartridge that came with the unit, it delivered only around 250 text (note text and not graphics) pages before it ran out. I know this because I bought three reams of paper when I bought the unit and used half a pack. Coverage was around 50% per page, double sided. I took it out and shook it but this made no difference.
I purchased two new original HP CE285A cartidges at the same time as I bought the printer. I wondered if the original cartridge was a reduced capacity cartridge. So I installed a new cartridge. The toner light came on after printing 935 pages (from the status page). Again, the majority of these were text pages at 50% coverage double sided.
Each cartridge is £75 which gives a per page cost of around 8p/page (not including the cost of the printer) which is outrageous for a laser printer. The packaging estimates around 1,500 pages per cartridge but I clearly didn't get anywhere near this with the first cartridge and am not getting this with the second one either. I have another HP MFP (3500) which delivers around 5 reams before a cartridge runs out.
I am an extremely experienced user with 25 years in printing and imaging and know that estimates assume a certain coverage. I am by no means using a heavy coverage. I am extremely unhappy to say the least. Your help and advice appreciated.
This question was solved. View Solution.
02-11-2013 03:28 PM
The only thing you can do to try and extend the cartridge life a bit more is enable EconoMode on the print driver. Most likely this was enabled on the devices being tested for the cartridge yield. I'll include the instructions to enable it below. Let me know what happens.
- Click on the Start menu.
- Click on Devices and Printer.
- Right-click on your printer.
- Select Printer Preferences.
- Click on the Quality tab. It may be labeled as the Paper/Quality tab.
- Click the box next to EconoMode to enable it.
- Click Apply to save the change.
- Click OK to close the window.
07-20-2013 11:27 PM
Sorry to bring you bad news, but you will find this problem equivalent to any laserjet you purchase. My laserjet m451nw states that I should receive around 2600 copies off of each color and the black toner at 5% coverage. I do full color programs (front page colored) and I am lucky if I can get 1000 pages from each cartridge. I was highly disappointed that I really can't print too many full colored photographs becasue this ink is too expensive for it to disappear after only printing a few pages.Sorry, but hat is the norm for toner cartridges They don't like heavy usage on page.
02-04-2014 06:46 AM
I have an HP laserjet M1212, i bought it for my company.
I purchased two new original HP CE 285A cartidges at the same time as I bought the printer.
There are two problem.
1) we should change the toner after printing normally 800 pages and the majority of these were text pages at 10% /15% coverage at most , only black colour.
2) when it arrive to the 40% of consumption (normally after 500pages) we need to took the cartidges out and shook it several times. But this create a lot of trouble in our company activity because sometimes it happens that we receive a fax or invoices not well print with some blank lines (see attachment) and we need to call client to resend the fax or to print double each order.
We already use ECONOMODE but it doesn't change anithing we should always replace the cartiridge at the 40% of is usage in order to not compromise our company activity. In the last two month we use 4 toner to print 3597 pages so about 0,06€/pages.
Do you have any suggestion you could give me.