Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have installed a new hp toner cartridge to my Laserjet P1102, but still get the message ''install black cartridge' and orange light flashes.  It worked fine before the toner ran out.  Have tried reinstalling the cartridge, and using a compatible cartridge, without success.  Is there anything I can do, or will I need to get the printer serviced, which appears to be a case of  sending away for a reconditioned unit?  I am disappointed that it has failed after less than 18 months intermittent use. It was bought as the reviews said it would be great for volume printing, but I've not got to that stage yet.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
I had same issue. Remove all paper from tray. Ensure no paper is started into printer. I then replaced toner cartridge and it was recognized. It seems if the paper is started to feed into printer, then the new toner is not recognized.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

cumoangerraff,

It seems that the printer and cartridge are not recognizing eachother.  Click here for a detailed description of the following steps for when the 'Install Black Cartridge' Message Displays on the Control Panel or Blinking Toner Light Displays on the Product.

Step one: Remove the print cartridge packaging (or anything else that could be where the printer and cartridge need to meet and communicate)

Step two: Service the product

Click the Kudos on the left side for helping and click Accept as Solution for providing a solution. I work for HP.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
HP Recommended

Thanks Kenneth

I've already followed the steps spelt out on the HP website you provided the link for.  Your second stage is to service the product.  Can you please advise me as to where I can find instructions for servicing the printer?  My searches on the HP website suggest that the printer can't be serviced, just returned to HP to be replaced by a reconditioned model, at a cost of £87+ VAT.  Alternatively, I spend 19.99euros to phone the HP technical phone support, probably to be told the same thing.  If there was an easy answer, I assume somebody would have come up with it.  Cleaning the contacts doesn't make any difference.  The HP print and scan doctor doesn't help either.  I'm still looking for advice from anyone who has suffered this problem.

Kind regards

Cumoangerraff

HP Recommended

No problem, just trying to help.

After pulling the tab and all the tape out of the cartridge then looking for problems with the printer and cartridge contacts inside the printer towards the bottom left and not seeing any problems but still getting the error let us look for a paper jam, an open door, or the absence of paper in the proper tray also.  I see that the install black cartridge error is coming up but I want to be sure we are seeing the right error.

Click here to see a detailed description of the following steps for each set of Blinking lights on the printer.

Solution for all lights off
Solution for Attention and Ready lights cycle
Solution for Ready light on
Solution for Ready light blinking
Solutions for Attention light blinking
Solution for Attention light blinking and Ready light on
Solution for Attention and Ready lights on
Solution for Wireless light blinking
Solution for Wireless light on
Solutions for Wireless light off
Service the product

Click here for Clearing Paper and Carriage Jams

Clear jams from the input tray
Clear jams from the output areas
Clear jams from inside the product
Solve repeated jams
Change the jam recovery setting

When all else fails, click here to see a detailed description of restoring the factory default settings to the printer without the cartridge and inserting the cartridge afterwards to see if it works.

Click the Kudos on the left side for helping and click Accept as Solution for providing a solution. I work for HP.

Best Regards,
Kenneth
HP Recommended

We have the same problem - with three different new cartridges.

No jams.

I cleaned the contacts.

I restored the factory defaults.

I have a service manual, but can't find anything related to this.

HP Recommended
I had same issue. Remove all paper from tray. Ensure no paper is started into printer. I then replaced toner cartridge and it was recognized. It seems if the paper is started to feed into printer, then the new toner is not recognized.
HP Recommended

thanks for the tip @jerrygreiner  !

I am speaking for myself and not for HP. Twitter: @Ciara_B_27
HP Recommended

That is exactly what it was!  The piece of paper, the size of my thumb, had gotten wedged in there.  I'm pretty sure the toner was not out at this point and probably wasted good money and toner on a new one.  Thank you for posting this.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.