Question

Student
sbmedsupply
Message 1 of 2 (79 Views)

HP OfficeJet Pro 8600

When over 95% of my printing is in black, why in the world does the printer require me to replace all of the color cartridges when it's time to replace the black cartridge? If they're used so much less than the black, how can they possibly deplete at the exact time my black ink cartridge depletes? Makes no sense to me, gets VERY frustrating, wastes a TON of my money, and discourages me from wanting to purchase another HP printer as I create more desk stations for employees.

HP Support Agent
HevnLgh
Message 2 of 2 (55 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro 8600

Hi sbmedsupply,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I understand your frustration and would like to shed some light on why you require to have ink in all cartridges even when printing in black ink only.

'You can print with black ink only, but the printer will still use ink from the color cartridges for servicing tasks. Some ink from all the cartridges is required to service the printhead and prevent clogging.'  Source

To get a better understanding of the servicing tasks, take a look here:

Ink Usage in Inkjet Printers

'Print head nozzles get clogged over time, most commonly by microscopic dust particles or dried ink. Nozzles are kept clean by servicing, including wiping the surface with a small rubber wiper, ejecting ink through the nozzles to purge particles and to prevent drying, and pumping with ink to clean the print head. To keep the printer ready to print in either color or black, these service routines typically consume some ink from every cartridge, even if only black or color is used in the document being printed.'

I hope this helps answer your question.

Thanks,

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

HevnlghHelP
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation