HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 no longer prints Cyan and Yellow all of a sudden. Please help.. (1666 Views)
Honor Student
shtocker
Message 1 of 8 (1,666 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 no longer prints Cyan and Yellow all of a sudden. Please help..

Officejet Pro K5400 Cyan and Yellow just stopped working at the same time (very strange).  I've read almost every post and tried almost everything including the diagnostic tests that show that everything is fine (via printer buttons), cleaning test and every other test available in the HP manual many times.  The diagnostic test shows no problems and cartridges all brand new and full to max.  However the diagnostic print only shows the Black and Magenta, but no Cyan, Yellow or any other color.  I pulled out the print heads, cleaned connectors, soaked heads and everything else you can imagine and no luck. I must have pulled the power out and "hard reset" it over a dozen times.  I can't imagine that both print heads (cyan on one, yellow on the other) just decided to die at the same time.  I cant be driver/software related because I did the tests directly from the printer.  The only thing I can think of is maybe cyan and yellow dried out when I took out the cartridges to take to staples with me for reference.  All cartridges were out of the printer for 2 weeks or so.  Any thoughts?

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 8 (1,664 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 no longer prints Cyan and Yellow all of a sudden. Please help..

Ouch - two weeks with the cartridges removed likely allowed the "Plumbing" between the cartridges and printer to dry out and become clogged.  If the printhead and cartridges were ever removed at the same time it is also possible for the tubes to drain and air to block the ink channels.

You have tried cleaning the printheads a couple times, I would suggest running three levels of head cleaning in sequence.  Each level of cleaning up to three will perform a more agressive cleaning.  You have probably already found the troubleshooting page here.

Scroll down on that page and click the + to expand the Windows section, then scroll down to the section on performing a cleaning from the control panel and click on the +.  It says:

Clean printheads from the control panel
  1. Make sure the printer is loaded with unused white paper.
  2. Press and hold the Power button ( ).
  3. Press the Cancel button ( ) two times.
  4. Press the Resume button ( ) one time.
  5. Release the Power button ( ).
    Cleaning the printheads takes a few minutes, and when it completes, a page prints.  

Running the cleaning as above but pressing the resume button twice after pressing the cancel button twice may perform a more agressive cleaning.  After this cleaning is there any sign of cyan and yellow printing?  If not then more cleaning cycles will not likely help.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ---->

Honor Student
shtocker
Message 3 of 8 (1,655 Views)

HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 no longer prints Cyan and Yellow all of a sudden.

Your quick response is truly appreciated. I tried everything you recommended many times and unfortunately no sign of of cyan and yellow. I'm on a mission to fix this thing because I spent over $120 on new cartridges special offer at staples (by two get one free). I already opened all the packages to experiment and cannot return them and will be out the money. Buying new print heads (cheap on ebay) are also more expensive than buying a band new printer of higher quality. New printheads will probably fail to fix the problem if the plumbing is clogged along the way from cartridges to the printheads.

I agree that two weeks with no cartridges can certainly be the reason for all this. However, I would have expected all colors to be dried out and clogged. The black and Magenta print fine and they were also removed from the printer for the same duration of time. (strange)

The print heads and all cartridges were never removed simultaneously for more than 2 min (during cleaning process) so that may rule out the possibility of "draining and drying". You may be right about the plumbing system getting dried out during the 2 weeks without cartridges. If that's the case, it looks like I may need a new printer so I'm not afraid to experiment more aggressively with unclogging the plumbing.

I would like your opinion/advice on a few possible solutions to unclog the plumbing:

1. Remove cyan print head and cyan cartridge put aside. Then use a syring to push nail polish remover into the cartridge pin through the plumbing to where the printheads draw the color. (The pins on both ends seem to have a micro hole so I may have to create my own tube from the syringe to the pin connector). Or I can take one of my old cartridges and fill it with liquid remover and see if that may unclog the plumbing.

2. Find the "plumbing parts" from HP (if available) and replace them if possible.

3. Try to soak the print heads in hot water again for 15min rather than 3min like I did earlier.

4. Submerge the entire printer in a small pool of Liquid Draino.. (just kidding..):smileyvery-happy:

Your advice is much appreciated and I welcome any other suggestions before I perform the solutions 1-3 above. Thanks again.. 

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 4 of 8 (1,626 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 no longer prints Cyan and Yellow all of a sudden.

I would avoid nail polish remover, it is likely to contain acetone or other harsh chemicals that would damage the printhead.  It might help to force hot water through the tubong, but avoid puncturing the filters on each end.  This could be messy.  A longer soak of the printhead might help, but at this point I would be more suspect of airlocks in the tubing.  

As for parts, HP's partsurfer site lists some parts but a note that support ended on July 1, 2012 and parts may no longer be available....  There is a listing for C8184-67035, a replaceable ink delivery system which may be what you want need.  A google search turns up suppliers from $26 used to ~ $100 for a new replacement.  It might be worth searching for assembly instructions, it might be possible to remove and service what you have.

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

<----   If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You".

Honor Student
shtocker
Message 5 of 8 (1,586 Views)

HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 no longer prints Cyan and Yellow all of a sudden.

Bob, thanks again for your quick reply and excellent information.  I took your advice and used a syring to pump hot warter rather than any other chemicals.  Starting from the nozzle that connects to the print head, the hot water shot out from the cartridge connection pints with no sign of blockage.  Also soake the heads and head pins in hot water for 15min.  No success...

However, I did manage to damage one of the print heads as a result of "over soaking".  Apparently the adhesive that holds the ribbon to the bottom of the print head came loose and the print head no longer works.  I ordered two new print heads I found cheap on ebay and will try them out when they arrive.  

I'll follow up to let you know how it all works out.  In the meantime, I will use the info to find parts for this printer that you provided in your previous reply.  Thanks again.. very much appreciated.

Honor Student
shtocker
Message 6 of 8 (1,557 Views)

SOLVED: HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 no longer prints Cyan and Yellow all of a sudden.

Bob, wanted  you to know that I bought new print heads and the printer works fine now.  It was the print heads all along and they apparently have a life span of about 5000 pages.  I tried to save money and avoid buying new heads and wasted way too many hours trying to trouble shoot the problem.  Anyhow, I'm happy the printer works and I don't have to throw out all the brand new ink cartridges I bought recently.  

Thanks again for your help Bob, your services here are very much appreciated by this community.

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 7 of 8 (1,555 Views)

Re: SOLVED: HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 no longer prints Cyan and Yellow all of a sudden.

I am glad your issue is resolved.  Happy printing!

Student
272rjames
Message 8 of 8 (186 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro K5400 was idle for 18 months and now prints out with lines after new ink

I have not used the printer for 18months and now it isn't printing but has started to print with lines after a number of cleaning cycles were run.
Thanks
RJ
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation