Question

Honor Student
Jessii
Message 1 of 7 (1,717 Views)

HP OfficeJet Pro L7780 - HP 88 Black/Yellow Printhead Problems

Hi,

I am not having good luck with these printheads this week as I am on my 3rd replacement. The first that was sent back on Tuesday was printing with lines going through the page making it difficult to read what's been printed out. The second one that I just sent back to Staples this afternoon was leaking yellow and caused a printhead error but was printing very nicely before that error occurred. Though it isn't as bad as the first one, the one that I just got today to replace the leaky one is printing also printing with lines going through it.

What is going on? How can I fix this without sending it back to Staples? I've tried all of the alignments, printhead cleaning, and linefeed alignments even after the new printhead calibrated and aligned itself.

I've tried cleaning the inside of the machine where the carriage is thinking that maybe there's dust or something stuck in there. It's not easy to see where you're wiping or even to really get in there. Wiping that area did nothing but get ink all over my hands.

Any ideas or suggestions on what to do next short of buying a new All-In-One?

Honor Student
mary1968
Message 2 of 7 (1,689 Views)

Re: HP OfficeJet Pro L7780 - HP 88 Black/Yellow Printhead Problems

Have you solved your problem.  I am experiencing the same problem and no one has replied to me.  I don't know what to do.  I can't keep replacing print heads with the cost of them.  I replace the heads and in a day or two I have the same problem.

Honor Student
Jessii
Message 3 of 7 (1,688 Views)

I haven't received a response about this from anyone. I haven't solved the problem either and it seems like my printing is getting worse. We spent quite a bit of $ on this printer and this thing is one of the biggest pieces of junk to begin with and now the printheads are becoming worse in quality as well. I'm also quite unhappy with the price of all of the cartridges that come with this printer. HP's quality standards need to be reviewed again because the slogan, "Precise. Reliable. Everytime." doesn't work!

Honor Student
broker212
Message 4 of 7 (1,596 Views)

hello all,

I have the L7580 and am having the same problems.   when it prints the ink is very faint and I keep getting the alignment has failed.  I have not replaced the printhead yets, but that is my next step.  This printer has been sitting for a year and i just replaced the black ink cartridge.

Honor Student
Jessii
Message 5 of 7 (1,594 Views)

Here's what I found out. When you buy ink from somewhere like Staples, HP has already recycled the cartrige however many times. Same thing with the printheads. I now buy OEM (original, never been used before) printheads from somewhere other than Staples. There are many companies out there that will sell an original cartrige to you, you just have to know where to get them. The original cartrige is definitely nice! The print quality is a lot darker and sharper. However, a brand new OEM cartrige costs a bit more but it should also last longer than something that was refurbished.

Personally, I think it's false advertisement on HP's part and is an issue that they need to solve. They should be honest and state whether the cartrige is new or refurbished.

When I finally do buy a new printer, it's going to be a black & white laser printer with 1 toner drum as opposed to 2 printheads and 4 ink cartriges. This model is probably one of the biggest ripoffs ever!

Honor Student
broker212
Message 6 of 7 (1,593 Views)

so, is the only way to over come this issue is to buy an original? The refurb is what causes the alignment problem?
Honor Student
Jessii
Message 7 of 7 (1,592 Views)

I don't know but if you've run your alignment utilities in your toolbox are you're still not getting the proper alignment, I'd say try getting an original.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation