Question

Top Student
AZTennisGuy
Message 1 of 6 (2,738 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Officejet 4500 - New black ink cartridge won't print

I just replaced a depleted black ink cartridge with a new HP 901 cartridge and the black has totally ceased to print.  I installed a new color cartidge and that one seems ok.  I've cleaned the print heads several times to no avail.  Can anyone help me?  My OS is Windows 7.

Honor Student
LisaKeysMI
Message 2 of 6 (2,732 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500 - New black ink cartridge won't print

I am having the exact same problem, only with a Black 920. I've been replacing ink for many years, and know how to properly do it. I have done all of the suggestions to no avail. It worked the first day I put it in (about 5 days ago) and today it had very, very, very faint ghost of black, and then nothing.

Top Student
AZTennisGuy
Message 3 of 6 (2,698 Views)

I hope someone can come up with a solution that works for both of us!

Honor Student
LisaKeysMI
Message 4 of 6 (2,682 Views)

Unfortunately, I found a thread at least 4 pages long that has this issue over and over and over, and HP is not doing anything about it. I am thinking perhaps, that there is an issue with the new black ink cartidge itself that is causing printers to fail. My old cartridge still had ink in it - I placed it back in after trying everything else for 30 minutes, and it failed also. The color cartridges work. Seems to me if there are hundreds of people with this problem AFTER purchasing a new black ink cartridge, it's almost screaming towards an issue with the new cartridges themselves. (The computer chip that is visible on them.)

Top Student
AZTennisGuy
Message 5 of 6 (2,657 Views)

Well, I don't know why, but the printer started functioning normally again.  I had turned if off for about a  day and decided to try it one last time before junking it and wouldn't ya know, it worked!  After turning on the printer I printed a "status page" from the printer control panel and - no problem.  I then tried printing docs from my laptop and again - no problem.  I guess only time will tell if the problem is really solved, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  Lisa, I hope the demon decides to vacate your printer as well.  Good luck!

Honor Student
kingoftheriver
Message 6 of 6 (2,355 Views)

I have had trouble with my HP4500 not printing in black. I fixed it by cleaning the contacts on both the black incartridge and the place on the printer where it plugs in. I used rubbing alcohol and a q tip. Works fine now. I was prepared to throw it out.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation