Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@bbrixon wrote:

Forgot to update this.  somehow it got fixed.  I used to shut it down after I'm not using it, but now I just leave it on, and turn it off when i turn off my power strip. [snip]

The printer should be left plugged into a live outlet.  If you turn the power off from a power strip the printer will lose track of how long it has been since the last print job and use more ink in servicing when the printer is power on.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended
try unplugging the printer then leave it for 5-10 min try to start printer without plugging it in to remove any charge if some is left then plug back in restart and maybe clean cartridge contacts inside of the printer then cartridge contacts. delete printer and drivers then reinstall without doing any updates???
HP Recommended
when cartridge comes up as error and printer dosen't recognize cartridge then its no good. if it is a refilled cartridge then take it back and they should be able to check the cartridge and replace it if bad. once the cartridge isn't recognized by the printer it's not repairable. if it recognizes the cartridge then try other options listed in this thread.
HP Recommended

Whenever I plug on my printer it shows Print cartridge problem [Tri-color] Refer to device documentation to Troubleshoot.

And no button is working and error light is constantly blinking. No print can be taken though it shows black cartridge is OK.

HP Recommended

I as many others on this post have also bought a new tri-color cartridge and keep getting the same message on my computer that the cartridge is incorrectly installed, I have done all of the troubleshoot requirements and it still is not working,  I even went out and spend more money on a new cartridge even thought my original cartridge is still full just to see if it would work and it has not.  Very frustrating.  I do not shut off my printer, keep it on a live plug-in so now what?  It seems this is a problem in the software, are there no updates that I can download to take care of this problem? 

Very frustrated and now out another $35 for a new cartridge!

HP Recommended

I've had this problem for a couplle of months and I finally found what was causing me to encounter the tri-color cartidge error. I have the printer plugged into the same power strip as my other devices (including an old HP Laserjet 4) and if the Laserjet is printing while the Officejet 4500 is warming up, I always get the errorr. Otherwise it is hit and miss. So, I plugged the Officejet 4500 directly into a different outlet and I haven't seen the problem again.

I found the idea from the troubleshooting steps for a different issue:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01952299&lang=en&cc=us&conte...

I hope this helps!

HP Recommended
Thanks, my printer is on a seperate plug-in so that is not my problem.
HP Recommended

Interestingly, I made some network changes including a new DHCP server and different subnet scheme and encountered the tri color error again. I turned the Officejet off and on again and quickly selected the option to "reset network" before the tricolor error appeared again and that cleared it up.Haven't seen the error for a couple of days now. I probably could have changed the IP settings through the web interface as well.

Now for my rant: I had a small MFP from Brother and it always had problems also. I'm half tempted to go to the thrift store and find a stand alone fax machine, a flat bed scanner and buy a dedicated printer. This product is a HEADACHE.

HP Recommended

Yes !!!! I followed your advice and lightly spit on a piece of toilet paper and gently wiped the electrical contacts on the cartridge and then gently wiped the bottom of the catridge (where the Ink comes out) ..... then the printer miraculously started to print.

HP Recommended

@NervousInvestor wrote:

Yes !!!! I followed your advice and lightly spit on a piece of toilet paper and gently wiped the electrical contacts on the cartridge and then gently wiped the bottom of the catridge (where the Ink comes out) ..... then the printer miraculously started to print.

I'm not sure whose advice you were following.  I'm glad you got your printer to work, but in the future you might consider a few suggestions:

• Avoid touching the nozzle plate, wiping this can cause damage.
  • Use a lint-free wipe for the electrical contacts.  HP recommends using foam swabs.  If these are not available good substitutes include a damp (but fresh) coffee filter or a dry dollar bill.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.