Question
HP Officejet 4500:Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubleshoot
Replies (118)

Honor Student
sagumali
Message 101 of 119 (695 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500:Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubles

i have facing the print cartridge tri colour problem

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 102 of 119 (629 Views)

Re: HP Officejet 4500:Print cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubles

sagumali wrote:

i have facing the print cartridge tri colour problem

Have you tried cleaning the contacts on the cartridge?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c01953073

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
StarryGordon
Message 103 of 119 (609 Views)

My color cartridge now refuses to work at all, regardless of spit, hot breath, Q-tip, coffee-filter, distilled water, whatever.  The printer will work (printing black only) with the color cartridge taken out, and still scans.  Or it did yesterday, anyway.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 104 of 119 (603 Views)

So if it's still within warranty I'd suggest calling support as you may need a replacement. The warranty ends date is lasermarked on the cartridge YYYY/MM/DD....

Wty ends dates.jpg

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Top Student
StarryGordon
Message 105 of 119 (598 Views)

Extremely close study of the cartridge with a large magnifying glass did not reveal anything I could recognize as a date.  The following un-datelike inscriptions were visible: '(HP logo) HP Tri-color Print Cartridge (three large colored dots) (line) 901' (second column) '(half-moon thing) Ink may be harmful if swallowed.  Intended for single use only.  CC656A.  (mystical QR code)'.  That's on the top, so to speak.  On the machine-facing side, where there is some circuitry, there are

two slight depressions 3-4 mm across; one is blank, the other has an 'A'.  On the opposite side, there is a small irregularity which does not appear to contain alphabetic characters; they may be Chinese, Japanese, runes, or random, but in any case are unrecognizable.  On the bottom, one 'step' down from the contacts, are '>PET-GIF15 PUR<' and 'SE11' .  The former is in a slight depression in the form of a rounded rectangle, and the latter in a circle.  'PET-GIF15' may be underlined, and there may be a period between it and 'PUR'.  I hope this helps, or at least amuses.

Student
Mommy2mcm
Message 106 of 119 (481 Views)

I ALWAYS buy genuine HP ink cartridges and have this issue all the time. I find it offensive that someone was on here scolding everyone for getting refilled cartridges. That's not the case. He obviously did not read the posts from others like myself that purchased HP cartridges. HP's product quality has declined over the years, just like many other companies.

After reinstalling the genuine HP 901 tri-color cartridge, and cleaning the contacts according to HP documentation, I tried a little spit on the contacts. IT WORKED! Thank you to the person who suggested spit. It's a miracle cleaner from kids faces to print cartridge contacts. Who knew spit was so versatile!
Honor Student
GoetzKluge
Message 107 of 119 (341 Views)

Today my black cartridge was empty and the tri-color cartridge was reported to have trouble. Before I waste money, I wanted to check whether others have trouble and found this forum thread.

I cleaned both cartridges (tissue with alcohol applied to printing cavities and the contacts) and at least the tri-color problem wasn't reported. Also color printing was possible again.

Now I have some hope that buying a new b&w cartridge will not force me to exchange the color cartridge as well.

Regards from Munich

Goetz

Honor Student
MIRV
Message 108 of 119 (338 Views)

II've been with this same issue since a year now. every 3 months, I buy new cartridges, and just when I am finishing the printing, POP!! The message again... "Printer Cartridge yadda yadda". I've cleaned, I had disconnected, I have unistanlled and reinstalled, I have had it!!!!!!! 

Seriously now, IS THERE A REAL WAY TO FIX THIS THING, OR ARE WE JUST PLAYING TAG AROUND THE BULLSH**? 

Honor Student
GoetzKluge
Message 109 of 119 (334 Views)

Hi "MIRV", after your post I received this message:

"MIRV (Student) posted a new Reply in Ink, Toner, Cartridge, & Printhead Issues on 05-05-2014 02:41 PM

Subject: Re: HP Officejet 4500:smileytongue:rint cartridge problem: (tri-color) Refer to device documentation to troubles

Did this reply resolve your post or question?

If yes, then share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution.
You can also show your appreciation by giving kudos.

We appreciate your feedback. It's what keeps our community such a helpful, vibrant place for our members.

Thanks for being a member!

The HP Support Forum Team"

And "If no"? I hate such kind of automated customer friendliness.

Kudo to you (MIRV), but you and I couldn't really solve the problem. It seems, that the HP forum is meant to let steam of and to shift the responsibility for dealing with trouble to the "vibrant" communit. Perhaps HP is not too interested in solving problems which keep their ink sales going. As far as this cartridge issue is concerned, I wish that HP themselves would be a little bit more "helpful" and "vibrant".

Honor Student
P6141
Message 110 of 119 (320 Views)

I tried to clean the cartridge like you said using alcohol and q tip. I got lucky this time. The color cartridge error goes away for now. Thanks.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation