Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Same problem....I need Help!

@cgeorge77388 wrote:

Same issue with my HP 4500 all in one. Indicator showed that color cartridge needed replacement. Purchased a new combo HP 60 set. Previous black was a 60 XL. XL black showed to have ink remaining so I only replaced the tri color and I get an error. Display shows an E and an ! mark above the tri color indicator. I have followed all the trouble shooting recommendations. Still nothing. I was thinking perhaps it was a faulty color cartridge but after seeing this post, I suspect that is not the issue!

We need some help HP!!!!

@cgeorge77388 wrote:

Same issue with my HP 4500 all in one. Indicator showed that color cartridge needed replacement. Purchased a new combo HP 60 set. Previous black was a 60 XL. XL black showed to have ink remaining so I only replaced the tri color and I get an error. Display shows an E and an ! mark above the tri color indicator. I have followed all the trouble shooting recommendations. Still nothing. I was thinking perhaps it was a faulty color cartridge but after seeing this post, I suspect that is not the issue!

We need some help HP!!!!

HP Recommended

Helllppppppppp same issue!!!! I paid more for ink thet printer itself!!!

HP Recommended

Hi,

I had this problem,

This problem is due to no use of cartidge for longer time. This would have blocked of flow of ink.

I took out the tri color cartridge and put before normal water tap, flow of water for 10 seconds, then again put the cartidge in printer, it is working!!!, if this doesn't work then repeat the same.

Best of luck!!!

Regards

Kedar

HP Recommended

I overcame the problem.   I only needed to print black and white.  But I couldn't.  I hadn't used the printer in years.  I removed the printer ink cartridges and cleaned them with distilled water - using coffee filters wet with steam.  I reached upinside the printer and cleaned the contacts using the handle of a wooden spoon and a q-tip.  I replaced the cartridges.  The printer printed a color registration page - I didn't ask it to print it.  It looked fine.  color and black and white.  But I continued to get the error message - problem with tricolor...  I bought a new black and white ink cartridge.  But I still couldn't print, same error message.   

Finally I went to windows print application and changed the preferences to print grayscale and print using black ink only.  Since then I have not gotten the error message and the printer prints color photos in black and white and text documents normally.  

I hope this helps someone.  I almost bought a new printer from hp who told me there was no way around the problem except to try a new tricolor ink cartridge or buy a printer designed to give the option of printing in black and white only.  I didn't need the printer to give me the option, the Windows print application already does.  

HP Recommended

I have a HP officejet 4500 cartridge alignment problem which the printer does not response regarding the setting key on the printer.  Control panel from the printer show this message " Align the Cartridge" but the keys on the printer doesn't work at all.  Please I need your advice on this problem.

@Bob_Headrick wrote:

@bbrixon wrote:

Forgot to update this.  somehow it got fixed.  I used to shut it down after I'm not using it, but now I just leave it on, and turn it off when i turn off my power strip. [snip]

The printer should be left plugged into a live outlet.  If you turn the power off from a power strip the printer will lose track of how long it has been since the last print job and use more ink in servicing when the printer is power on.

I have tried turning it off for 15 sec, unplugged the power to the printer but it doesn't work.  The problem is warning light always on from the printer.

HP Recommended

I had this same error message come up and after restarting it a number of times with no change to that dreaded error message.  I just got my refils from Cartridge World (theirs have always worked with my printer before with no problem).  

Finally, I took out both cartridges, cleaned them with a very small amount of rubbing alcohol on q-tips then used a little of that on the printer where you insert the cartridges (where the connections are made) and restarted again with the newly cleaned cartridges.  I went to the tools menu and cleaned the cartridges from there and then did an alignement from that same menu.  So far so good.

For another time in another forum probably, I will say that this printer has always been squirrely when it comes to being found on a wireless network.  I ended up leaving a cord plugged into the back (because that darn spot in the back is impossible to find without moving everything and turning the whole printer around) that just dangles to the side so that when I need to print something and after a half a dozen attempts stlll can't get the computer to communicate with the printer, I just plug it in to print what I need and move on with my day.  But it's working for now and that's good enought for me 🙂

I hope this helps you if you are also having this problem, but if you ruin your printer or cartridge by drowning it in rubbing alcohol don't blame me .. I am by no means a computer or printer expert.  

HP Recommended

Step 3 of that document fixed the tri-color cartridge error.   Cleaning the **printer** copper contacts in addition to the cartridge copper contacts did the trick.   Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Cannot get new black ink jet in. Followed video, still no go!

HP Recommended

Printer tells me that tri-color cartridge is incorrectly installed.  Have tried all troubleshooting requirements and still tells me the same thing.

HP Recommended

This is going to sound so stupid but try turning the printer off and then on again, it's worked for me twice now when I've gotten the error message.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.